Opinion Fixing our KPF problem

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan Burton
North Adelaide/South Australia
31/1/97
190cm/79kg
Forward

A natural forward who reads the play, converts his chances, finds space and has some spark. Although not an overly tall forward, Burton has a nice, instinctive leap and knows how to time his run at marks. He is agile, crafty and capable of producing game-breaking moments. Burton kicked five goals for South Australia in round one of this year's championships, but suffered a serious broken leg later in the season that will impact his 2015.

AFL site thinks he's a likely top-five prospect next year. Kicked those five goals against WA and also had the 10 marks. Thoughts?

Also another one that could go pretty high next year:

Josh Schache
Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country
21/8/97
196cm/89kg
Tall forward

One of the talls to keep an eye on next year. The big and hard-leading forward presents well on the lead, can kick goals from anywhere inside the forward 50 and isn't out of the play when the ball hits the ground. Athletic and strong for his size, Schache's best trait is his marking and he uses his bigger and mature frame to position himself well at contests. The son of former Brisbane Bears forward Laurence Schache, he booted 27 goals in the TAC Cup this season.

AFL site thinks he's a likely top-five prospect next year. Kicked those five goals against WA and also had the 10 marks. Thoughts?
My thoughts are it would be nice if he grew a couple of centimetres. If he does turn out to be one of the top draft prospects next year I would say that we are unlikely to pick him up considering the following factors, we are likely to be active at the trade table again next year, Ben Keays could cost us our first round pick, I am optimistic that we won't finish bottom 5 next year.

I think it is safe to say that the club has addressed the lack of an A grade KPF as a concern and an area of need. They tried to rectify it through the mini draft with Jesse Hogan, however, Melbourne outbid us. I have zero doubt that the club will be contacting the managers of players such as Tom Hawkins, Jack Carlisle, and Charlie Dixon with big money offers in the hope that we can land a gun KPF via trade or free agency.

My thoughts are it would be nice if he grew a couple of centimetres. If he does turn out to be one of the top draft prospects next year I would say that we are unlikely to pick him up considering the following factors, we are likely to be active at the trade table again next year, Ben Keays could cost us our first round pick, I am optimistic that we won't finish bottom 5 next year.
Have to hope he slips just like Wright did. I see us finishing in the 10-13 bracket, so that should give us half a crack at him at least.

I think it is safe to say that the club has addressed the lack of an A grade KPF as a concern and an area of need. They tried to rectify it through the mini draft with Jesse Hogan, however, Melbourne outbid us. I have zero doubt that the club will be contacting the managers of players such as Tom Hawkins, Jack Carlisle, and Charlie Dixon with big money offers in the hope that we can land a gun KPF via trade or free agency.
At his best, Dixon is definitely right up there, but he's far too injury-prone. If we were to recruit him, it wouldn't be ideal having our main target up forward in and out of the side. Jeremy Cameron will be tested by a few clubs next year with some good $$$$$$ I'd imagine. Worth throwing everything at him while he's still relatively young - assuming he wouldn't be too invested in GWS this early on in his career. Plus, he'd also fit right in our age profile.

You might have gotten a bit definitive yourself there. Clarke definitely, but Goose Maguire?
I'm guessing your referring to Goose's smarts?? In his case he may not be real smart but he can lift heavy things.

And considering he'd be lucky to knock out a 10 in a beep test he sure knows how to keep forwards quiet.

Probably the lions best ever 91st picks in a draft!!

One all mighty power forward doesn't solve the problem they get double and triple teamed. Is it better to have two good key position forwards a third tall with elite running ability to up and down the ground filling holes where needed an elite small defensive forward with speed to shut down the attacking half back flanker and two goal kicking mid/forward with a strong defensive mindset.

One all mighty power forward doesn't solve the problem they get double and triple teamed.

Wouldn't that be a good thing as long as your mids are flexible and multi-focal ... ie if Mr Uber Power Forward has three on him *and* the mids are looking for the now nicely free other forwards you have easier goal lanes and if they don't put the extra on him then he gets some nice one on ones etc. Where it doesn't work (as we well know) is when you triple team Mr Uber and *still* keep bombing it in to him ...

Is it better to have two good key position forwards a third tall with elite running ability to up and down the ground filling holes where needed an elite small defensive forward with speed to shut down the attacking half back flanker and two goal kicking mid/forward with a strong defensive mindset.

Can't one of the two good key position forwards be a power forward?

Oh ok - you mean *either* one Uber surrounded by trash vs a balanced forward line ... at the risk of inspiring a gif ... can't we have both?

If you can get one great but what is plan B or when your power forward breaks down. As suggested need to consider a balanced forward line.

No point having a superstar if the rest are trash. Get a dixon or day to complement close and freeman/mcstay

Doing a basic age profile of our premiership team - selecting four dominate players across each line (subjective)
Forwards Birth Year
Lynch - 1968
Bradshaw - 1978
McCrae - 1973
Brown - 1981

Midfield Birth Year
Black - 1979
Voss - 1975
Akermanis - 1977
Lappin - 1976

Defense Birth Year
Leppa - 1975
Johnson - 1976
Michael - 1977
Scotts - 1976

Based on the above only (which is not the holy grail to a premiership) we will be trading in at least one established key forward either this year or next year. The question is whom and what do you give up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

30 Players to Watch in 2015 - Paige Cardona
Sam Weideman

Eastern Ranges
Key Forward
Height: 195cms, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 26/06/1997

If the surname sounds familiar, it’s because it is. One of the most famous names held in equally high esteem at the Collingwood Football Club, Sam Weideman is the Grandson of dual premiership player and former premiership captain, Murray Weideman, and son of Mark who also played at the Pies. Unfortunately, Mark didn’t quite reach the lofty heights of his father, failing to play 100 games for the club which is great news for 17 other clubs. Weideman is a contested marking monster, he is unbeatable when he gets in front, and has the strength to push aside defenders to win the ball virtually uncontested. He strikes an daunting figure one-out in the goal square, and will gladly enjoy any opportunity to go one-on-one where he is rarely beaten. He is clinical in front of goal, his leading patterns smart and quick and his competitiveness is innate, something that has been genetically passed down through his bloodlines. His pack marking separates him from all other forwards available in 2015, he throws himself at the ball, and go ten-pin bowling with anyone who stands between him and the sherrin.

Sam Skinner
Gippsland Power
Key Forward

Height: 195cms, Weight: 87kgs, DOB: 29/05/1997

A gifted key tall, Sam Skinner is explosive, agile and is an athletic beast that teams have struggled to find a match up for at TAC Cup level, particularly when played forward. The rangy key forward however, also found a home at full back in game one of the National Championships, doing a number on the equally athletic Darcy Moore, taking him completely out of the game. From there, it was a string of hot form and a fine balancing act spending time at both ends of the ground, kicking goals at one end and then stopping them at the other. The former Under 16 Vic Country MVP is part of a new-age bread of key tall’s who are equally adept at both ends of the ground. For Skinner, he is ultra-clean below his knees, is a strong overhead mark, has a terrific natural leap and bodies up nicely as a defender, rarely giving away an advantage. Averaged seven disposals at 74 per cent disposal efficiency, including two marks, three tackles over three games.

I think we are more likely to go for a Carlisle type than a Hawkins and to use him to supplement what we have.

Brilliant!!.... This is how you do it Danks.....(Reckon the supplements might be out of Carlisle's system by now though).....cook him up at a Club BBQ...as a meat & greet

Paige may as well write that all TAC Cup players will end up superstars; her assessments are somewhat fan like rather than accurate :thumbsdown:
She's guilty of doing that a lot, but she does know her stuff. Can't fault most of her work.

She's guilty of doing that a lot, but she does know her stuff. Can't fault most of her work.

I just haven't seen her release anything that you can't otherwise find on BigFooty :confused:

I see her TAC commentating as probably her best asset footy wise...not that there's anything wrong with that.

I just haven't seen her release anything that you can't otherwise find on BigFooty :confused:

I see her TAC commentating as probably her best asset footy wise...not that there's anything wrong with that.
Oh well, each to their own. I personally like her write-ups. Wouldn't have a clue who any of those boys mentioned above were if she didn't write something up. :p

Oh well, each to their own. I personally like her write-ups. Wouldn't have a clue who any of those boys mentioned above were if she didn't write something up. :p

I'm sure if your part time job was commentating u/18 footy you would go OK at it :thumbsu:

Paige is still a cheerleader first and foremost. Everyone is a champion and have no weaknesses. When she starts to provide more balanced assessments then she is going to get more credibility. Atm she seems to be worried that if she writes anything negative the players won't like her and talk to her.

There is hope for her though and she is certainly puting in the effort. As she gets a bit more confident perhaps it will come. I was one of Twomey's biggest critics when he first started writing for afl.com.au but credit where it is due he has improved a lot in the last little while. I still think he is very Victorian biased but his assessments have gotten better. Now it is at the stage where he probably doesn't get the credit he is due on BF. Not out of the question that it could turn around for Paige.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back