Strategy Fixing the Midfield for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Well last few years we have been known to have a Front Running Midfield that only run 1 way. That they run Forward but not the Other way.

We lost Dayne Beams in the Trade Period which badly hurts our Midfield but he was the Biggest Cooperate of Running 1 way.

So in his trade we got Crisp and Greenwood who are know to be 2 way Runners that can be a Defensive Mids as well going Forward in Midfield.

So we have bit of a Defensive side to our Midfield now and gives it a better balance Midfield.

Adams replaces Ball.

Greenwood replaces Beams.

Swan gets moved from the forward line to the midfield to replace Maccaffer.

I think if we can have 5 midfielders that average atleast 20 disposals, our midfield will be better than most expect.

Which midfielders do i think can average atleast 20 disposals a game?
-Pendlebury
-Sidebottom
-Greenwood
-Adams
-Thomas

We have all the parts it's just a matter of if they improve enough to be competative.

Pendlebury
Swan
Sidebottom
Adams (our new ball)
Greenwood (beams replacement)
Kennedy
Broomhead
Karnesis
Crisp
Thomas
Seedsman
Freeman

Rucks
Grundy
Witts

Personally I think it will be an average year due to too much inexperience. Hopefully we get a lot of development into our young guns.

I think Hawthorn set the blueprint for the modern Midfield during the Grand Final.

They had 27 different Midfield combinations during the game with no combination being used more than 3 times, you're seeing with Bucks how he's starting to put players in multiple positions to increase flexibility.

Over the next few seasons we'll see young players like Broomhead, Elliot, Fasolo, Freeman, Kennedy, Crisp, Karnezis, Shazza, Williams and Sinclair get thrown into the midfield more often as their tanks increase.

Hawthorn won the granny so convincingly because their players are so well drilled all over the ground, their flexibility created such hard match ups to keep up with and i think that's what we're striving towards, 2015 will be the blueprint for the future.

I think Greenwood will perform well, Josh Thomas seems capable of stepping up further and Kennedy & Freeman will add something new. The latter could be the real surprise packet for us if his clearances and breakaway numbers are decent.

I think Hawthorn set the blueprint for the modern Midfield during the Grand Final.

They had 27 different Midfield combinations during the game with no combination being used more than 3 times, you're seeing with Bucks how he's starting to put players in multiple positions to increase flexibility.

Over the next few seasons we'll see young players like Broomhead, Elliot, Fasolo, Freeman, Kennedy, Crisp, Karnezis, Shazza, Williams and Sinclair get thrown into the midfield more often as their tanks increase.

Hawthorn won the granny so convincingly because their players are so well drilled all over the ground, their flexibility created such hard match ups to keep up with and i think that's what we're striving towards, 2015 will be the blueprint for the future.
They also have a modicum of skill... Not a point worth over looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was all about the tanks (or lack thereof) in our midfielders - they're basically having to rebuild our fitness base from scratch to shift from the burst effort, rotation heavy strategy we had installed during the latter portion of the Malthouse era to the more endurance-focused style of game that is being played today.

I used to get really frustrated at seeing our blokes seeming slow to a crawl for periods in the game and the perceived lack of effort in running both ways, but in hindsight the idea that our fitness base wasn't set up for the heavily spread-oriented football that the top teams play both on the attack and in defence makes a lot of sense (especially given the issues we had even initiating the spread when we have the ball as the season dragged on in both 2013 and 2014).

If we can sort out the fitness base then things such as the spread and two-way play should come more easily and we should be able to maintain the required levels of intensity for longer - we already have the endurance athletes in the squad, they just need to be re-worked to handle the style of gameplay you see in the AFL today.

Completely agree with Presti. Hawthorn and to a lesser degree Sydney have such exceptional midfields because they have 12 - 15 players that run through it on game day. So hard to match up and shut down if you aren't sure who you are supposed to line up against.

We don't bat deep enough yet to do this but it certainly looks like that is what we are aiming for. The Hawks have their "go-to" group and then they have pinch hitters from all over the ground that offer different things depending on how the game is going. Sydney are similar but with more emphasis on contested ball and grunt work to win it.

The injuries we've had have stymied our midfield growth and development, but we now have young guys with much more experience than perhaps planned at a senior level. Hopefully this year our youth will blossom and we see the other side of injuries - the part where our guys that "filled the breach" step up and become regular members.

I believe that to be successful we need to have 35 players that can perform at AFL standard available for 85% of the season. The difference between our top guys and our next tier in 2014 was much too significant.

Does anyone else think Jamie Elliott is under rated in regards to his midfield work? There have been some times where he has gone in to the midfield and killed it for short periods of time... And he. Runs both ways. You will semi-regularly see him get the ball in the back line (often quite deep, too!).

Even though the game was over by this point, I remember there was one passage of play against west coast this year where Jamie was in the midfield and effectively worked the ball in to the 50 and kicked the goal as well I'm pretty sure.

The kid is an absolute gun.

Does anyone else think Jamie Elliott is under rated in regards to his midfield work? There have been some times where he has gone in to the midfield and killed it for short periods of time... And he. Runs both ways. You will semi-regularly see him get the ball in the back line (often quite deep, too!).

Even though the game was over by this point, I remember there was one passage of play against west coast this year where Jamie was in the midfield and effectively worked the ball in to the 50 and kicked the goal as well I'm pretty sure.

The kid is an absolute gun.
I think he can play that high half forward Boomer harvey type role. Just probably less possesions, but more goals and strong marks, like a mini Nick Riewoldt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have all the parts it's just a matter of if they improve enough to be competative.
Just want to change the order of that list and add a few to make it look like we have a bit more depth.

Pendlebury
Swan
Sidebottom
Adams (our new ball)
Varcoe
Elliott
Seedsman
Thomas
Williams (I'd like to see him get some time as an inside mid - beast)
Young
Broomhead
Kennedy
Karnesis
Crisp
Freeman

Adams and Greenwood are the keys, need to really step up and win the contested ball/clearances/tackles. We know Pendlebury will do that, and an injury free Swan will contribute. But for us to play finals and compete against the big boys we need them performing at a Beams 2014/Ball 2010-11 level week in week out.

Also a surprise emergence of a Kennedy, Crisp, Karnezis type as a genuine gun midfielder would help.

Hawks got the biggest front running midfield in the gig, it's an over rated statement.
We need half forwards that can meet the ball in the midfield and open space behind.
Goldsack was good at this and I thought it was a mistake that he got moved into defence towards the end of the season. It isn't a coincidence that the best footy we played this season coincided with him playing across half forward.

Just want to change the order of that list and add a few to make it look like we have a bit more depth.

Pendlebury
Swan
Sidebottom
Adams (our new ball)
Varcoe
Elliott
Seedsman
Thomas
Williams (I'd like to see him get some time as an inside mid - beast)
Young
Broomhead
Kennedy
Karnesis
Crisp
Freeman
I doubt Williams will ever have the intuitive footballing ability to do that well as an inside midfielder. I'd prefer him to remain as a defender and work on improving his rebound play - if he can do that he is potential an AA defender imo.

Nathan Freeman is going to be an absolute gun when he gets his hammys right.
My mail from inside the club is that they think he will be as good as Dane Swan.
I watched him train in the late preseason several times and he was absolutely brilliant, he smoked most of the senior players in terms of speed, kicking accuracy, and generally just could evade, dodge and run around opponents easily. His speciality is having the vision to find a path and burn though the middle and deliver in to forward 50. We desperately need that. He reminded me of Gary Ablett and I don't say that lightly. I dare say he's a better player than ablett was at the same age. Please god get his hamstrings right and hopefully the soft tissue review found out what's going on at westpac. Seriously if a Freeman comes good we will be giving 0 fuks about Dayne Beams let me tell you.

If Adams can sort out his jitters, those two are going to be a new force at Collingwood. Adams can get in and do the dirty work, and feed Freeman to run through the middle. The Adams, Pendles freeman combination is going to be formidable. Then you have greenwood who though isn't all that flash a player, is solid and reliable and someone like that in there just makes it all the more easier for the talent to shine. Then you have varcoe running through the silky skills of broomhead, sidebottom who is fast becoming our new 30+ touch player! Seedsman who I think will really break out as a midfielder this year, as well as Swan who still has life in him and could surprise us with another brownlow quality year, and the fringe kids on the rise like Kennedy and Thomas, and I think you have the the makings of a premiership midfield.

I doubt Williams will ever have the intuitive footballing ability to do that well as an inside midfielder. I'd prefer him to remain as a defender and work on improving his rebound play - if he can do that he is potential an AA defender imo.
That maybe true, maybe not. He's a see ball get ball type and is harder than a cats head. He's very good at being first to the ball in heavy traffic when the ball goes to ground and during stoppages in backline so I'd at least like to give him the opportunity. I'd be more worried about his disposal than his ability to win the ball if given the chance but as an inside mid he'd be given some slack in that regard.

Williams has quickly become one of my favourite players, he is so tough. I think he should stay in defence, he is a very very good small defender.
Adams, Broomhead, Kennedy, freeman, thomas and possibly Laverde.. We have a lot of young midfield options, keep Marely in defence

Nathan Freeman is going to be an absolute gun when he gets his hammys right.
My mail from inside the club is that they think he will be as good as Dane Swan.
I watched him train in the late preseason several times and he was absolutely brilliant, he smoked most of the senior players in terms of speed, kicking accuracy, and generally just could evade, dodge and run around opponents easily. His speciality is having the vision to find a path and burn though the middle and deliver in to forward 50. We desperately need that. He reminded me of Gary Ablett and I don't say that lightly. I dare say he's a better player than ablett was at the same age. Please god get his hamstrings right and hopefully the soft tissue review found out what's going on at westpac. Seriously if a Freeman comes good we will be giving 0 fuks about Dayne Beams let me tell you.

If Adams can sort out his jitters, those two are going to be a new force at Collingwood. Adams can get in and do the dirty work, and feed Freeman to run through the middle. The Adams, Pendles freeman combination is going to be formidable. Then you have greenwood who though isn't all that flash a player, is solid and reliable and someone like that in there just makes it all the more easier for the talent to shine. Then you have varcoe running through the silky skills of broomhead, sidebottom who is fast becoming our new 30+ touch player! Seedsman who I think will really break out as a midfielder this year, as well as Swan who still has life in him and could surprise us with another brownlow quality year, and the fringe kids on the rise like Kennedy and Thomas, and I think you have the the makings of a premiership midfield.

I heard he has the strength of Josh Kennedy from Sydney with his ability to move you off the ball.
The break away capacity of Ablett and strength of Kennedy is a great combination - no pressure kid.

There's only one thing that can fix a lack of class. More class.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back