Roast Flying the flag

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a thin line between this type of aggression focusing and distracting a team. I remember back in 90's watching Port play and if we were down thinking "Somebody needs to start a fight", as we had the type of playing group that would seem to be inspired and focused by something like that. It was also the SANFL and footy in those days included an expectation of that sort of thing. These days, that sort of aggression will get players weeks (even though it will also show up in AFL marketing). I'm not saying we shouldn't be showing more aggression, but we need to then back that up and respond. There's nothing more pitiful than a team throwing their weight around and getting murdered on the score board.

It's a thin line between this type of aggression focusing and distracting a team. I remember back in 90's watching Port play and if we were down thinking "Somebody needs to start a fight", as we had the type of playing group that would seem to be inspired and focused by something like that. It was also the SANFL and footy in those days included an expectation of that sort of thing. These days, that sort of aggression will get players weeks (even though it will also show up in AFL marketing). I'm not saying we shouldn't be showing more aggression, but we need to then back that up and respond. There's nothing more pitiful than a team throwing their weight around and getting murdered on the score board.

Aggression can be applied within the rules of the game

Aggression can be applied within the rules of the game
I agree. I'd hope that showing some more aggression might bring us out of out of the shell we seem to have shrunk into this year. Maybe it'll straighten us up and see us play some more direct footy too. Maybe some low, hard, accurate field kicking too.

We whined about hawthorn being bullies, then we thumped them in a quarter of footy. Then Brisbane come out and dominate us physically, mentally and on the scoreboard. Richmond outwork us and bully us into submission.
I'm not saying we should start an all in brawl before the siren.. but if it does happen.... It might not be a bad thing

At the start of the 2004 preliminary final against St Kilda at AAMI we were being killed. Then Gehrig got to his 100 goals and the field was invaded. All the Port players clustered together and we got the deficit to 5 points at 1/4 time. Not saying we can depend on any kind of long delay and we couldn't cluster together as we'd be out of position but a bit of talk and recognition of your teams players, even if just the ones in the general area could lift everyone. High-fiving after a goal is all very well but giving condolences after hitting a post or congratulating a player on a good pass(whether goal assist or not) should be done.

Yep, we had them on toast in the third and just couldn't put them away

and it's a big part of the reason we crumbled in the last and they didn't

Richmond are so mentally weak. If Schulz and Wingard had kicked those easy goals we would have won that game. Turn up the heat they crumble and thats why that loss was so pathetic.

Just on this. The common perception of my club is that we mentally weak, maybe that due to losing against sides we shouldn't, just reference the dogs and melbourne. The reality though it completely diffrent. When Dimma has had a 22 that was either the same age, or older then our opposition he has won 85% of those games, just let that sink in.

The pressure we absorbed particularly in the third, was intense, it was the reason we broke away in the last as we are very fit atm. IE our starting 22 most are now over injury so are quiet fresh. The problem on the weekend was that ken wanted a run and gun game and we refused to allow it by reducing the game to a stoppage game. We won the contested possession as well as tackles. Your guys just did not react, they played into the contested/stoppage game instead of spreading for stoppages to allow a quick release.

Now I am not saying the above to gloat in anyway, just simply to say, i dont think size or grunt was the issue for your lose. The issue for your lose was that your team is struggling to adjust to a new game style. Sometimes that can take time.

Poetic timing from the club to put out this video about Timmy G, Greg Phillips, and David Hynes combining during the 1990 GF when they saw Scott Salisbury go to stand on 17-year-old Gavin Wanganeen. It's a brilliant video and has everything this thread says we're missing...
https://www.facebook.com/PortAdelaideFC/videos/10153020424753882/
Great video.

Amazing memories.

Time to create some more boys. You have the chance if you want it enough

I want Lobbe to one day drop the shoulder and nail someone in the tackle. He always corrales (which is often the right move as he is so big & slow) but once or twice a game, look to hurt them lobbestar!
He had a perfect chance in the forward line at the Southern end in the Richmond game.

Smaller Richmond defender camped under the ball. Lobbe with the sit.

I was disappointed Lobbe dropped the mark. I was even more disappointed the Richmond player was left standing.

I'm not suggesting thuggery just ferocious attack on the ball and body. They should be thinking twice about sitting in that hole.

Just on this. The common perception of my club is that we mentally weak, maybe that due to losing against sides we shouldn't, just reference the dogs and melbourne. The reality though it completely diffrent. When Dimma has had a 22 that was either the same age, or older then our opposition he has won 85% of those games, just let that sink in.

The pressure we absorbed particularly in the third, was intense, it was the reason we broke away in the last as we are very fit atm. IE our starting 22 most are now over injury so are quiet fresh. The problem on the weekend was that ken wanted a run and gun game and we refused to allow it by reducing the game to a stoppage game. We won the contested possession as well as tackles. Your guys just did not react, they played into the contested/stoppage game instead of spreading for stoppages to allow a quick release.

Now I am not saying the above to gloat in anyway, just simply to say, i dont think size or grunt was the issue for your lose. The issue for your lose was that your team is struggling to adjust to a new game style. Sometimes that can take time.
Thanks for the reply, good to hear a different point of view. Agree re our team struggling to adjust to opposition tactics. Goodluck for the rest of the season

So Bernie Vince for Melbourne cleaned up Robbie Gray in the second quarter with a good old fashioned elbow to the guts. We went on a tear and booted six goals after that but really the club should be writing down the name B. Vince in it's little black book.

Paul Rizonico is our interchange steward and can get the names of players who we owe a whack to when our players rotate.- he should keep the little black book and give out reminders.

So Bernie Vince for Melbourne cleaned up Robbie Gray in the second quarter with a good old fashioned elbow to the guts. We went on a tear and booted six goals after that but really the club should be writing down the name B. Vince in it's little black book.

Paul Rizonico is our interchange steward and can get the names of players who we owe a whack to when our players rotate.- he should keep the little black book and give out reminders.

Really enjoyed how (I think it was) Vince went to tackle Boak and Travis just put him on his arse and went on his merry way down the wing.

Have you seen how Donehue teaches it? I asked Alan Richardson at a Club 1870 event in 2013 if I as correct from watching the videos he showed us, if Donehue has a sado-masochistic streak in him, and Richo said - "yes, I think he does." Is that the sort of fun you were thinking of?

Haha, in short yes. Sure choking people is fun but it's also a highly technical chess-like art which is why you see people like Joshua Waitzkin gravitate towards it.

Bump

We were pathetically soft in this area tonight. Geelong were lippy, antagonistic, rough but also hard at the player and the ball. We barely let off a whimper in return. We tried the Gus/Hammer 'be a smart arse and get under their skin' technique but it was only tom foolery and water off a ducks back to the seasoned Geelong players.

Not good enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bump

We were pathetically soft in this area tonight. Geelong were lippy, antagonistic, rough but also hard at the player and the ball. We barely let off a whimper in return. We tried the Gus/Hammer 'be a smart arse and get under their skin' technique but it was only tom foolery and water off a ducks back to the seasoned Geelong players.

Not good enough.

True enough, they got away with a lot of physical niggle, backs of the head in contests, etc, but us hitting a few different sorts of targets, like, um, our own bloody team mates, with the bloody ball, when we bloody well had more than enough of the thing, even on a "down" night for so many, that would have had a 1000x more impact.

Fairly pointless thread IMO, unless you're from the "go the knuckle" dinosaur school of footy..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you seen how Donehue teaches it? I asked Alan Richardson at a Club 1870 event in 2013 if I as correct from watching the videos he showed us, if Donehue has a sado-masochistic streak in him, and Richo said - "yes, I think he does." Is that the sort of fun you were thinking of?
This has to be done, this type of training make our player mentally tougher knowing that you are physically capable bof handing out a can of whoop ass.

It also helps with tackeling . Witch has become piss week.

Yeah

How can you give zero *s and not lift off the energy the crowd had in the second quarter

Just to touch on this again at the end of the season, I think this was something the coaches realised was a problem and actively set out to correct.

I still believed the lack of physicality was coached, for whatever reason, and I believe the turnaround was also coached, because it's been a teamwide change.

If you listen to the Freo postmatch press conference, Ken says straight out that we're a better team when we're on edge and we've been able to do it in a composed way. The proof has been in the pudding in the last third of the season, with several melees, some really hard hits, and a lot of flying the flag. Everyone from Lobbe to Pittard to Sam Gray has been prepared to get right into the opposition players. We've got our mongrel back, absolutely.

Apart from Butch's mark and goal, the play of the day for me was losing that set shot to a melee free kick turnover, winning the ball back, getting it back upfield very quickly and Hartlett kicking an absolute cracker to really hammer (lol) home our physical dominance and our ability to very quickly translate that into goals.

Clearly the quarter time spray from Ken had a huge impact and we took that out onto the field by going out and monstering that Freo side exactly like we should have from the first bounce. Taking that sort of mongrel into next season will generate several more wins. Even with no more gameplan tinkering, even if we occasionally go to sleep in the middle, even if teams set up hyperdefensively against us. Be prepared to risk a $1000 fine to bully your opposition, be prepared to give away a free kick, be prepared to have opposition fans and teams (hopefully) start to sook about us. Carry that into next season and we're a huge flag threat.

The Care Bears are dead.

When we recruited Voss to the coaching staff last year we all expected him to mentor the playing group on how to play on the edge effectively. So it is quite baffling as to why we ended up doing the complete opposite for majority of this year.

We've got our mongrel back, absolutely.
I've noticed this from the GWS game onwards. It's been great to see, and it's no coincidence our competitiveness has improved during the same period.

...losing that set shot to a melee free kick turnover, winning the ball back, getting it back upfield very quickly and Hartlett kicking an absolute cracker to really hammer (lol) home our physical dominance and our ability to very quickly translate that into goals.
Which lead to another melee.

Great to see the aggression back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back