Society & Culture Food shopping

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone notice how they put basics like milk and bread on opposite ends of the shop so you have to get tempted by stuff walking end to end.
Everything about the set up of supermarkets is designed for you to buy more. From milk at the far end of the store to confectionary and magazines at the check out (and often in eyesight of children). It's an art form.

Everything about the set up of supermarkets is designed for you to buy more. From milk at the far end of the store to confectionary and magazines at the check out (and often in eyesight of children). It's an art form.

What do you care where the bread or milk is? You forget them anyway!! :D:p

I got one tip too for reducing the amount of what you buy at the Supermarket -for the weak and lazy that is- get a basket or at worst one of those "mini trolleys". I cbf'd carrying around a heavy basket, so I will only buy the absolute minimum what I need, thus save quite a bit of cash.

Anyone notice how they put basics like milk and bread on opposite ends of the shop so you have to get tempted by stuff walking end to end.

Doesn't happen at the one I go to, the milk, bread, fruit and meat are all right next to each other. Only thing that really bothers me about shopping is when you want to buy something but it's cheaper elsewhere but it's easier to get it now since I don't wanna walk all over the place.

Gary Ablett Jnr occasionally comes to our one, usually have basically every customer if that's really Gary Ablett in the store?
I work at a store in Geelong and Ablett Snr was in there a few years back, didn't actually buy anything and jumped over one of the gate things of a closed register which was right next to the entry part that he could have just walked out of.
See a fair few Geelong players shopping at the store now, and see Dale from the block every now and then

At work the other day, I started scanning this lady's items and was putting them in a plastic bag. All of a sudden she snaps at me and says 'put them in the bags I brought with me!' I go 'Ok, but where are they?' and she goes 'Here!' *pointing at her trolley*. Um, you want me to leave my register, walk around to your trolley and get your bags out for you? Get off your phone and do it yourself bitch.

Um, you want me to leave my register, walk around to your trolley and get your bags out for you? Get off your phone and do it yourself bitch.

You should have said that to her. Having a go at customers is fun.

It is annoying though when you start packing and then half way through they pull out their own bags.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At work the other day, I started scanning this lady's items and was putting them in a plastic bag. All of a sudden she snaps at me and says 'put them in the bags I brought with me!' I go 'Ok, but where are they?' and she goes 'Here!' *pointing at her trolley*. Um, you want me to leave my register, walk around to your trolley and get your bags out for you? Get off your phone and do it yourself bitch.

What a cow. Should tell her she's lucky she doesnt live in London, where you have to pack your bloody shopping yourself!!!!

Lmao- I'll never forget that first time I did my food shopping at Tesco in London, realising I had to pack my shopping and not doing a particularly fast job of it. :oops:

Self serve checkouts need to be made more reliable. I like them because they are means of avoiding inane chit chat with the check out kids, but invariably I set off the little red beacon and need assistance. 'Please place the item in the bagging area'. I've bought a pillow. FFS. 'Unexpected item in bagging area'. FFFFUUUU.

I think we should do away with plastic bags altogether. I get annoyed when I buy one item and they ask if I would like a plastic bag, and more annoyed when others in front of me respond with 'yes' to the same question. How hard is it to carry a tin of dog food or a can of coke without a plastic bag, people? Just do what Bunnings do and put empty boxes at the front of the shop.

Online shopping rocks, do it once every three - 4 weeks for all the staples.

Just top up with fruit and veg / milk / bread from the local strip shop. There is a greengrocer, butcher & bakery all next to each other and two of them sell milk- save an absolute packet and support the locals.

I think we should do away with plastic bags altogether. I get annoyed when I buy one item and they ask if I would like a plastic bag, and more annoyed when others in front of me respond with 'yes' to the same question. How hard is it to carry a tin of dog food or a can of coke without a plastic bag, people? Just do what Bunnings do and put empty boxes at the front of the shop.

SA led the way with this and got rid of plastic bags years ago - you learn to live without them in no time. Comes as a shock when you go interstate and they ask you if you want a bag regardless of how little shopping you have, I don't know why the major stores don't implement it voluntarily they would save a fortune and make some money on the resusable bags they sell.

I think we should do away with plastic bags altogether.

F*** that. As a checkout operator that would be the last straw for me. Peoples bags they bring with them are the most annoying things to pack.

After just seeing the premier of Tasmania at woolies, and that jogging my memory of seeing Boonie out and about, who are the most famous people that you have seen out while doing the rounds?
Work @ Woolies, seen Cotchin, Maric, Hale, Petrie, Mitch Robinson, Firrito, David Hille and also Peter Siddle

I find grocery shopping to be a necessary evil.
As Mrs Vekgib works at a F&V shop, we get stuff from them at a discount.Which is probably countered by the fact that we buy our meat from the local butcher.Sure, he's more expensive than the supermarkets, but his meat is always top quality, he's full of suggestions on different ways to cook, and shopping with him means we're supporting the little guy who's fighting a battle with one arm tied behind his back.
Anytime I do the shopping with Mrs Vekgib, we go to Coles.I like to muck around. Yawn in that loud, obnoxious way that people do.Put stuff in other people's trolley.Stuff like that.
When I do the shopping alone, I go to Woolies, or occasionally, the IGA.Then, I normally browse, but not to the point where I take ages to buy just a few items.If I do just buy a few items, I use the self-service checkout.But if it's a full trolley, I go to the good looking checkout chick.

ACT did away with free plastic bags about 3 years ago, it's pretty awesome, you see everyone going shopping with their own non-plastic bags now. It makes the occasion of grocery shopping feel slightly more community like. I've managed to accrue bags from Woolies, Coles & IGA over the years, and they come in handy for non-shopping. I now use one for my library borrowings, another for my weekend away toiletries, another to trade DVDs with my film buff friend, etc.

Of course, they still stock plastic for when you spontaneously get groceries whilst out, come a bag short, or just can't be fked. But when I go out for groceries, and just groceries, I leave home with my bags, or keep them in the car for when I might need them.

Self serve checkouts need to be made more reliable. I like them because they are means of avoiding inane chit chat with the check out kids, g abut invariably I set off the little red beacon and need assistance. 'Please place the item in the bagging area'. I've bought a pillow. FFS. 'Unexpected item in bagginrea'. FFFFUUUU.

It's really s**t when you've just walked in to buy a newspaper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back