Resource Footage of old Geelong matches on television, VHS, DVD, digital and online

Remove this Banner Ad

mate, I'm constantly searching for Cats games. Virtually scoured every avenue humanly possible over the years. Every now and again, will find something very rare. I have an Ablett highlights reel which I am constantly updating whenever something new comes along. Really trying to build a highlights reel comprised of nothing but fairly new footage.
80's Ablett is more spectacular than 90's Ablett imo. He was a physical specimen in his prime during that era and it's always a blast coming across his earlier stuff.
I'm surprised how often he played in the back-line, he was even used as a defender in a state of origin game back in 88 and played on Gary Buckenara which was a terrific duel all night long and definitely a game I'll be sharing here in time.

It's a worthy pursuit Bobby - read an article recently (looking for a link but can't find it) regarding channel 7's lax attitude in days gone by of preserving the footage it had accumulated of VFL/AFL games - article basically suggested it was up to the fans to archive this kind of stuff, and you've done well in that regard.
Yeeears ago I used to tape whatever Ablett highlights I could get, had a bit of good stuff but nothing I haven't seen you reproduce ..
Must admit I don't recall the SoO game you mentioned, I have reasonable recall of Ablett's career but I will happily defer to you on that one - certainly remember him playing back a bit under both Devine and Blight.

I'm dying to get games from 84-85 in particular. Have some highlights but not enough. 1987 is another year that is bloody hard to track down. They must have have re-played a bit of Geelong on TV that season as we were playing an entertaining brand of footy and almost got into the finals.

I'm dying to get games from 84-85 in particular. Have some highlights but not enough. 1987 is another year that is bloody hard to track down. They must have have re-played a bit of Geelong on TV that season as we were playing an entertaining brand of footy and almost got into the finals.

yeah that stuff would be the holy grail no doubt - how do you even go about tracking this stuff down?
I'd assume that if Ch.7 don't have it, no-one does, but then I have no clue!

nah heaps of people did what you said you did and record games onto the old vhs tapes. It's remarkable that some actually kept these tapes for decades until collectors of VFL games came along and converted them all and started swapping em around etc. There's a large network of people who trade so anything new that comes up, word spreads pretty quickly.
Many ex-players also have copies of the games they played in and that's been another way of obtaining game footage.

nah heaps of people did what you said you did and record games onto the old vhs tapes. It's remarkable that some actually kept these tapes for decades until collectors of VFL games came along and converted them all and started swapping em around etc. There's a large network of people who trade so anything new that comes up, word spreads pretty quickly.
Many ex-players also have copies of the games they played in and that's been another way of obtaining game footage.

brilliant - old stuff pops up on Youtube pretty regularly of course ..

http://www.youtube.com/user/footylovr

haven't uploaded anything (Ablett-related) in a while.

cheers mate, will check it out ..

just found footage from the first Geelong game I ever attended, amazing - Ablett played very well that day, I didn't really know who he was prior to that but he was a firm favourite from then on - got on a winner that day!

edit : commentary is actually pretty cool too, Bobby Skilton recounting his story of being out-marked by an 11-year old Gary Ablett at a footy clinic

My best mates mum has a box of mine in Geelong in her shed with a bunch of tapes from 84/85. I'm coming back to Melbourne in 3 weeks bobby a will go get it- if I can find the games I'm thinking about - I'll let you have them. I know I have highlights from roud 1 -84 Williams - Ablett - turner. Jacko kicked 9. Also har round 3 when we beat Carlton at princess park. I let you know mate.

Have set machine to record, also for Cam Mooney on open mike. Just wondering, I've just got foxtel, do they repeat open mike episodes? Love to see the Scarlett one.

Have set machine to record, also for Cam Mooney on open mike. Just wondering, I've just got foxtel, do they repeat open mike episodes? Love to see the Scarlett one.

They do but im not sure on the regularity. Maybe contact them and suggest it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He got injured at least once that year I think. From memory he only played 12 or so games (he still kicked 53 goals). I know he kicked 5 or 6 against North late in the year (we smashed them at the MCG, it was the game when David Cameron kicked 8), and 8 against Brisbane early in the season (we lost of course to the new team, and at home too).

He must have just gotten fit on the eve of the finals, because the day Lindner won the game against Sydney at the SCG, Ablett AND Brownless played in the reserves. I think - this is a guess only - that Ablett kicked 7 and Brownless 10! That was the 2nd last round, and I can't recall whether either played in the loss to Hawthorn.

Some of that mid 80s stuff with Ablett- and some of the Hits

Jimmy Jess ( the ghost) - out at Waverly - poor old Jimmy Jess - didnt move afterwards- straight off on a stretcher

I can remember the ABC commentator Doug Heywood screaming out - Ablett has poleaxed Jimmy Jess

just found footage from the first Geelong game I ever attended, amazing - Ablett played very well that day, I didn't really know who he was prior to that but he was a firm favourite from then on - got on a winner that day!

edit : commentary is actually pretty cool too, Bobby Skilton recounting his story of being out-marked by an 11-year old Gary Ablett at a footy clinic

Great clip- thanks CC!! I could watch GAS play for hours!

Some of that mid 80s stuff with Ablett- and some of the Hits

Jimmy Jess ( the ghost) - out at Waverly - poor old Jimmy Jess - didnt move afterwards- straight off on a stretcher

I can remember the ABC commentator Doug Heywood screaming out - Ablett has poleaxed Jimmy Jess

I don't remember that. I remember him getting Peter Czercaski at Waverley in 1985, which was exactly as you described.

I don't remember that. I remember him getting Peter Czercaski at Waverley in 1985, which was exactly as you described.

Im positive he flattened Jess - it might have been that Geel v Richmond game in the mid 80s at Waverley - when it was level for the 1st 3 qtrs - and Geelong kicked about 12 goals in the last qtr

Im positive he flattened Jess - it might have been that Geel v Richmond game in the mid 80s at Waverley - when it was level for the 1st 3 qtrs - and Geelong kicked about 12 goals in the last qtr

Ask and ye shall receive.......

Saturday 1st June 1985
Geelong 18.12 (120) defeated Richmond 10.10 (70).

Geelong kicked 11.5 to 1.2 in the last quarter. Bews kicked 6. Funnily enough, 2 years earlier in 1983 Richmond scored 11.4 (70) against Geelong at the same venue and won by 1 point.

He was a tough as they come on the field. Fragile off it.

I think it was John Devine who said of all the players at the time he could run fastest, kick longest and throw a medicine ball further than any of the others. It was like a masterclass watching him at times. Timing, balance, strength, sublime skills. Wowee. Wonderful player, and a pretty good sire of footballers too.

Similar to the stories Stoneham, Buddha and co. used to say about both Gazza's sons. Story went along the lines of the kids were always hanging around the rooms and being annoying, so they would spear kicks at them to try and get them to go away, but the kids would always mark them and kick the ball back. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back