Football club finances / FFP

Remove this Banner Ad

It was that Hong Kong result that prompted the government to overhaul the sport.

This is an interesting piece on the changes occurring within the sport in China.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/08/china-focus-football-global-game

They aren't addressing the cultural issue of parents being more interested in academic excellence & the focus on individual sports. As Cooldude said (and he has first hand experience) - it is Chinese culture and has always been that way. Ironically it is the absolute need to control everything that holds them back and it certainly doesn't help that Sheikh Mansour's partners are related to the communist chinese party.

Improving the Chinese FA won't fix that, it will just give them a better national league. I see nothing in the plan that will see China compete with the likes of Australia / South Korea / Japan - let alone doing well in a world cup.

As stated before the Sheikh shouldn't waste his time on football in China - if he wants to win over the Chinese population improve their health care, improve their living standard & improve their education. If that's tied in with Man City that will leave a lasting legacy and millions of grateful fans.

If you'd read the plan you'll see they are addressing that sort of stuff. It's not about improving the FA. They're looking at education, training, local/community clubs etc.

Whether it will be successful or not time will tell.

As for Sheikh Mansour, I'm not sure why he should feel obliged to build hospitals in another country, although it was a criticism he copped in England too for some reason.

He's done a deal in China because he thinks it will make him money. Serious money, not this small time "sell shirts and go on a tour every couple of years" stuff that so many seem to be focussing on.

If you'd read the plan you'll see they are addressing that sort of stuff. It's not about improving the FA. They're looking at education, training, local/community clubs etc.

Whether it will be successful or not time will tell.

As for Sheikh Mansour, I'm not sure why he should feel obliged to build hospitals in another country, although it was a criticism he copped in England too for some reason.

He's done a deal in China because he thinks it will make him money. Serious money, not this small time "sell shirts and go on a tour every couple of years" stuff that so many seem to be focussing on.

Must have missed Real, Bayern, United & Co chasing the Chinese market. I think I'll back the clubs that have been successfully run over decades on this one.

Japan is really the best place for a club like City to seek investment. They have a real football culture over there and unlike the Chinese national team their national team is going places.

One thing I doubt will happen in my lifetime is the likes of India, China & middle eastern teams ever being a football power.

Must have missed Real, Bayern, United & Co chasing the Chinese market. I think I'll back the clubs that have been successfully run over decades on this one.

Real, Bayern and United have all toured China in the last few years. United are looking at a full tour (not just a game or two) next pre season. Bayern Munich have recently opened up club offices in Shanghai.

Real and Bayern have also recently formed partnerships with the big Chinese marketer/merchandisers.

So I think it's pretty safe to say they all see some value and potential in the country.

But really, we're not going to get anywhere by waiting to see what the old guard do, and then copying it. We'll stay ahead of the game as we have been doing for the past few years, and if it takes a bit longer for the penny to drop with some, then so be it.

Japan is really the best place for a club like City to seek investment. They have a real football culture over there and unlike the Chinese national team their national team is going places.

We have a presence in Japan already with YF Marinos and have recently incorporated CFG Japan. So no need to worry about that.

One thing I doubt will happen in my lifetime is the likes of India, China & middle eastern teams ever being a football power.

They might not, they might. It's no skin off my nose either way. I think they will, a country of I don't know how many billion, with a proper development set up, a shitloas of money being invested and an appetite to grow the game at all levels seems a pretty good bet to me.

Last edited:
China has had shitloads of money, an appetite to improve the game and proper development for the last 20 years.

But all of a sudden because sheikh mansour is getting involved they're going to turn it around.

I think some City fans think this is club football where you can buy your way to success. It couldn't be any different.

why do things only go on a seemingly linear path in your world?

things change. opportunities arise. i dont understand why you deal in absolutes all the time.
Just like Torres was gonna play for Chelsea again.
howler.gif

China has had shitloads of money, an appetite to improve the game and proper development for the last 20 years.

But all of a sudden because sheikh mansour is getting involved they're going to turn it around.

I think some City fans think this is club football where you can buy your way to success. It couldn't be any different.
Not sure why you're making this out to be a Man City thing. I've talked of the potential of Chinese football years before this deal, if they get their structures right.

I get the feeling I talk about football becoming part of the school curriculum, and investment in community clubs and academies and you can't see beyond Man City.

If China is to become successful, it won't be because of us, it will be because they got their structures right.

Meanwhile you appear to be the only person in the world that can't see the commercial potential of China to premier league (and other) clubs.

Open your eyes.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

City can forget about getting new fans in Hong Kong, Taiwan & South Korea now all of whom are strongly anti communist.
Perhaps you could send an email to the half dozen or so sponsors from that region that have signed up on the last year.

Perhaps you could send an email to the half dozen or so sponsors from that region that have signed up on the last year.

Who mentioned anything about sponsors? Most large companies will do business anywhere.

By associating yourself with the communist party of China you've severely limited your chances of getting new fans in the aforementioned region.

We've already heard from Liverpool fans with a background from Hong Kong who were going to stop supporting the club when there were rumours of Chinese investment.

Real, Bayern and United have all toured China in the last few years. United are looking at a full tour (not just a game or two) next pre season. Bayern Munich have recently opened up club offices in Shanghai.

Real and Bayern have also recently formed partnerships with the big Chinese marketer/merchandisers.

So I think it's pretty safe to say they all see some value and potential in the country.

But really, we're not going to get anywhere by waiting to see what the old guard do, and then copying it. We'll stay ahead of the game as we have been doing for the past few years, and if it takes a bit longer for the penny to drop with some, then so be it.

We have a presence in Japan already with YF Marinos and have recently incorporated CFG Japan. So no need to worry about that.

They might not, they might. It's no skin off my nose either way. I think they will, a country of I don't know how many billion, with a proper development set up, a shitloas of money being invested and an appetite to grow the game at all levels seems a pretty good bet to me.
China can have all that but doesn't mean anything when their players are just bog ordinary. They won't be a powerhouse in my time.

We've already heard from Liverpool fans with a background from Hong Kong who were going to stop supporting the club when there were rumours of Chinese investment.

I'm an exception though, my parents and their relatives went through the Great Leap Forward (luckily escaped the cultural revolution), I know survivors who were there at Tiananmen when the tanks rolled in. I just can't myself supporting anything related to them unfortunately, if they get a stake in Liverpool I'd have to give it up

Last edited:
I'm an exception though, my parents and their relatives went through the Great Leap Forward (luckily escaped the cultural revolution), I know survivors who were there at Tiananmen when the tanks rolled in. I just can't myself supporting anything related to them unfortunately, if they get a stake in Liverpool I'd have to give it up

Amazing how much tougher our parents and grandparents generation had it than most of us.

My grandad is telling stories of being air dropped into obscure islands in the west Pacific to fight for our freedom, meanwhile I'll be telling my grandkids about how difficult it was to get decent wifi on the train on my 3rd holiday through Southern Europe in the last 5 years.

Who mentioned anything about sponsors? Most large companies will do business anywhere.

I've been mentioning sponsors for the last two days. You're blinded by this old fashioned notion that clubs only want to go into China to gain supporters and sell shirts.

I'm sure our popularity in the region will increase, as it has been doing for many years. But as a club I think we're thinking much bigger than that.

Amazing how much tougher our parents and grandparents generation had it than most of us.

My grandad is telling stories of being air dropped into obscure islands in the west Pacific to fight for our freedom, meanwhile I'll be telling my grandkids about how difficult it was to get decent wifi on the train on my 3rd holiday through Southern Europe in the last 5 years.

Or that U2 dropped an album on my iphone without telling me, world's ending

Remove this Banner Ad

Back