Football club finances / FFP

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Good for you.

Our way is working pretty well for us, so everyone is happy.

If you say so. If you were a normal business you'd have gone under a long time ago, most businesses need to be in the black after 2 years to survive.

I guess it's easy to build a club when you're run more like a charity fund than an accountable business. Of course it will work well for you, what sort of club won't succeed with the sort of money you have had pumped into it? It's not rocket science.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
I do think the money in the English game will help the clubs in that 5-15 bracket compete for top class players, so the comparisons between leagues is still important.

Yeah I agree, but let me present this scenario to you.

Liverpool earn over €100m per year more than Juventus.

You're a world class player trying to pick between Liverpool offering €200k/week or Juventus offering €160k/week.

Who do you choose? How much more do Liverpool have to offer before you change your mind?

Juventus' relative position as the wealthiest club in their league and therefore a near certainty to qualify for the CL and win silverware every year will make them a more attractive destination to most players almost irrespective of how much we offer in terms of wages.

This is going to be the issue facing all English clubs in that 5-15 bracket. If you're the 10th wealthiest club in England, adding £50m in TV money to your annual revenue is great for your bottom line and helps you offer higher wages to prospective signings, but if the 9 clubs ahead of you in the Premier League get exactly the same advantage, it doesn't increase your chances of winning silverware which in my opinion will always be the greatest limiting factor on the sort of players a club can sign.

In short, the additional money certainly helps the English sides but given the choice, the best players will still go to the clubs which have a realistic chance of consistently competing for silverware and playing in the Champions League.

If you say so. If you were a normal business you'd have gone under a long time ago, most businesses need to be in the black after 2 years to survive.

Until last season Liverpool made 5 consecutive losses so I guess it can be done.

We had the capacity to spend big in the early stages of the takeover to build a stronger club. Without placing the club at risk. We are extremely fortunate to be in that position.

I guess it's easy to build a club when you're run more like a charity fund than an accountable business. Of course it will work well for you, what sort of club won't succeed with the sort of money you have had pumped into it? It's not rocket science.

When they give out trophies for the toughest club building task I guess we won't be in the running. I'll have to learn to live with that.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Liverpool earn over €100m per year more than Juventus.

You're a world class player trying to pick between Liverpool offering €200k/week or Juventus offering €160k/week.

Who do you choose? How much more do Liverpool have to offer before you change your mind?
Italian clubs are spending beyond their means a bit more than LFC are I'd imagine. Liverpool can afford to blow Juve out of the water with wages but regularly wont.

Put it this way. Shaqiri could go to a Wolfsburg type club or earn 10-20k per week more at Stoke. No European football vs CL football but the wages at mid-table EPL is now better than most top clubs in the big 4 continental leagues

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United

city supporters have become more delusional than us and up there with united supporters thinking LVG was the messiah.

on another note EPL clubs are so bloody wasteful including LFC, the top 6-7 epl clubs should be in the top 10-12 performing clubs in the world on the field but are no where near that.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Swiss Ramble's interpretation of the Deloitte figures. Always an interesting read.

http://swissramble.blogspot.ch/2016/02/money-league-oh-you-pretty-things.html

3 Revenue Split £.jpg

agmYdl9.png

10 Commercial.jpg

11 Match Day.jpg

One thing I am interested in is where does FFP stand. UEFA said they would change it to let clubs invest in the early stages as long as they had a plan to become profitable.

But no details have come out yet.

Probably waiting for Milan to tell them what they need.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
One thing I am interested in is where does FFP stand. UEFA said they would change it to let clubs invest in the early stages as long as they had a plan to become profitable.

But no details have come out yet.

Probably waiting for Milan to tell them what they need.
Milan need to sell half their team to china in the summer. I guess UEFA are trying to clean house/cover up after the Platini debacle. Interesting that old City friend Kaiser Beckenbauer was fined today by the FIFA Unethical committee.

7k hey. He's lucky he wasnt wearing Paddy Power underwear, would have been 20 times as expensive.

Still refuse to co-operate with an ethics investigation isnt much for UEFA to worry about.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
It looks like Real Madrid got Bankia, a Spanish bank which received EU bail out money to guarantee Gareth Bale's transfer fee. Absolutely stunning if true. Not sure what the implications are but this is absolutely disgraceful on Real's part (and the bank's part) if it is proven true.

Also the real cost of the Bale transfer was £85.3 million pounds. Real originally reported it as £77m pounds - it is believed that this was done so Ronaldo could remain the most expensive player of all time.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
not the first time, i believe ronaldo was once listed as collateral for a bank too. but that could've been wrong

This bank had received bail-out funding from the EU though.

Meaning British tax payers including Spurs fans indirectly helped Real Madrid buy Bale!!

Apr 14, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
Last edited:
Back