Football / Coaching Department

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be interesting to see who we appoint, would love to see Lenny stay around as a midfield coach but if he moved on i'd be interested to see who we appoint.

Ryan O'Keefe if he doesn't get another playing gig maybe? Luke Ball (maybe this could be the one reading into the comments at the B&F)?

Luke Ball AND Lenny! :cool:

I always wanted Luke to come back to the Saints but he no longer bleeds for us and only favours black and white (see what I did there :p).

In all seriousness, after listening to him admit that he could have handled his transition from the Saints better with the players (not the club), I don't know if he is the bloke that we want coming back in as a prodigal son/former player. He spent 5 years at the pies and is basically a former Pies player. He is not a former Saints player in his own heart. Of course if he is the right man for the job from the perspective of premiership experience and professionalism then yes I would take him.

why is that?
I really rate Beveridge, been eyeing him off for a few years since his triple premiership in the ammos and his apprenticeship at Hawthorn's only made him a more attractive prospect.

I always wanted Luke to come back to the Saints but he no longer bleeds for us and only favours black and white (see what I did there :p).

In all seriousness, after listening to him admit that he could have handled his transition from the Saints better with the players (not the club), I don't know if he is the bloke that we want coming back in as a prodigal son/former player. He spent 5 years at the pies and is basically a former Pies player. He is not a former Saints player in his own heart. Of course if he is the right man for the job from the perspective of premiership experience and professionalism then yes I would take him.

Yeah, I remember reading that Luke said he will have fond memories of St Kilda but will always consider himself a Collingwood player because that is where he won a flag.

Prefer they increase assistant coaches going forward :cool:Caracella :) Buddha Hocking :cool:Ben Hart :)Gavin Brown .

Would like one these guys .

No untried assistants thx. Proven only if we want to progress.

I tend to think there is a career path. I don't mind someone like Peta getting promoted onto our coaching staff, but I don't like queue jumpers getting senior roles just because they were good at footy.
It seems clear that being a good footy player does not make a good coach. ( Peta probably has more coaching experience than James Hird LOL ).

Rucciuto is another example favourite 'son' coming back to his former club to try and lead them to glory. Failed for Voss and Sticks and will also fail for Buckley. Won't even comment on Hird.

The only succesful favourite son in recent memory to really help his team achieve the ultimate glory is Dunstall.

It's an old and dated mentality I hope our club doesn't follow.

So if you're reading this Banger (probably not) then let my last St.Kilda memory of you be a good one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rucciuto is another example favourite 'son' coming back to his former club to try and lead them to glory. Failed for Voss and Sticks and will also fail for Buckley. Won't even comment on Hird.

The only succesful favourite son in recent memory to really help his team achieve the ultimate glory is Dunstall.

It's an old and dated mentality I hope our club doesn't follow.

So if you're reading this Banger (probably not) then let my last St.Kilda memory of you be a good one.
Lyon was a constant distraction at the Dees, pulling strings behind the curtains only further de-stabilising "his" club..Some credit though for Roo for committing to the Crows by joining the board, still doesn't change the fact he's an egotistical narcissist..

No untried assistants thx. Proven only if we want to progress.
All assistants have to start somewhere. That said, would favour taking recently retired players (eg: Cox, Cassissi, Maxwell, Brown, even Lenny) only as mentors at the academy, not as assistant coaches. They do well at the academy, we can promote them.

I tend to think there is a career path. I don't mind someone like Peta getting promoted onto our coaching staff, but I don't like queue jumpers getting senior roles just because they were good at footy.
It seems clear that being a good footy player does not make a good coach. ( Peta probably has more coaching experience than James Hird LOL ).

Just to jump to Peta Searle for a second, i find it amusing now how hard people were on her and the situation when the reality is that she was employed as a development coach that has worked a lot at Sandy and the young kids and is far from part of the senior staff. She may very well one day be one of the higher ups but shes started her afl career right at the bottom of the hierarchy just like anyone else.

Just to jump to Peta Searle for a second, i find it amusing now how hard people were on her and the situation when the reality is that she was employed as a development coach that has worked a lot at Sandy and the young kids and is far from part of the senior staff. She may very well one day be one of the higher ups but shes started her afl career right at the bottom of the hierarchy just like anyone else.

does any know how she went this year? what the kids thought of her? etc

Simon Goosey looks like is on way down to LHC. Probably the best forward to never get crack at AFL. Brilliant footy mind, been coach of Frankston for while now. Very highly rated and personally think he'll be great addition.

I think you can tell a lot about a coach from the way their former club reacts to losing them, and Frankston are pretty gutted from what I can tell. If it is true I think Goosey could be a very worthwhile addition, so long as there are no problems with the VFL - AFL transition (can't see why).

Spot on mate. The players are disgusted with what's happened down there with Goose. New admin or whatever come in and try tear fabric out of a club.

I have feeling he has been at Bulldogs at one time or another, maybe wrong on that. Even if he comes down for goal kicking practice! Be good for young guys to learn a thing or two from him in that aspect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back