Football Department Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be wrong but I don't think Harvey was ever designated purely as the forward line coach. Fairly sure his title wasn't that specific. He was effectively the 2IC, as I saw things. He obviously had a line responsibility on top of that but not sure that him losing that role necessarily changes the dynamic between he and Voss?

I remember thinking he was responsible for the forwards. I think that was based on comments from the players (ie. the forwards).

Clarke clocks out
January 25, 2013
Sam Lord

The Brisbane Lions are close to announcing a replacement for Development Coach Nathan Clarke, who advised the Club late last year of his intentions to pursue a career away from football.

Clarke spent his final days at the Hyundai Centre earlier this week before embarking on the next stage of his professional life.

He departs just four months after guiding the Lions Reserves to two NEAFL premierships.

After playing a total of six games with the Lions from 2000-2002, Clarke returned to the Club at the end of 2009 as coach of the newly formed Hyundai Lions Academy.

He was promoted to the role of Lions Reserves Coach the following year - replacing Craig McRae at the helm – and took a hands-on role in developing the younger Lions in the local NEAFL competition.

Clarke_NEAFL-article.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ex-Crow Brett Burton finds his feet with Brisbane Lions

Michelangelo Rucci From: The Advertiser April 05, 2013 11:00PM

BRETT Burton has several double billings today. But he is very clear on where he stands with each conflicting agenda.

Brisbane allowed - actually it needed - Burton to rebuild a program that had inevitably fallen behind after being part of a pacesetting unit from 2000 to 2004. Coach Michael Voss had been left with too much to do, a common curse of AFL clubs working to limited resources in small or non-traditional markets.

"Reidy's review highlighted how things had fallen off and how Vossy did not have the resources around him, to the point he was doing far more than other senior AFL coaches were being asked," says Burton. "John's review allowed a new framework to be put around Vossy and the football program here - it put this club back on a level playing field.

"Once that was done, it wasn't going to take long to turn things around," adds Burton, whose Lions won their first pre-season NAB Cup last month. "That's because the playing group was prepared to work hard. "John's review just reinforced what this group could do if we put the right program and people in place around Vossy."

That program allowed Brisbane to trip up the Crows late last year when the clubs last met at the Gabba. The difficult emotional separation from being a Crow to becoming a Lion has turned easier for Burton.

570806-brett-burton.jpg

Brisbane Lions fans roar their call for broom at Gabba
April 28, 2013
Andrew Hamilton

BRISBANE'S coach, chairman and players are on notice. Their fed-up fans have used a couriermail.com.au poll to express their loss of faith in the direction the club is headed, and to deliver a damning assessment of Michael Voss' coaching performance.

What the poll screams out is that the fans are demanding accountability from chairman Angus Johnson and his board. Johnson instigated the review into the Lions' football department that extended Voss' contract until the end of this season, and he produced the strategic vision that promised fans a premiership by 2016. At some point Johnson has to make a decision on the club's favourite son.

Only Brisbane really knows exactly what has happened in recent drafts and trade periods. But claims levelled against the club by industry insiders is that Voss and his football department have developed a habit of overruling the recruiters.

Essendon's gun youngster and 2011 Rising Star Dyson Heppell was the recruiters' choice in the 2010 draft but the Lions went for Jared Polec. It has been said John Reid, who was heavily involved in the club at the time as the author of the first review into Voss' football department, was influential in that decision.

Johnson concedes there have been issues with recruiting but believes they have been sorted out. "We have a new recruitment structure in place, it is only two years old and I think it is too early to make a judgment," he said.

Very disturbing if true re: footy dept overruling the recruiters.

But claims levelled against the club by industry insiders is that Voss and his football department have developed a habit of overruling the recruiters.

It has been said John Reid, who was heavily involved in the club at the time as the author of the first review into Voss' football department, was influential in that decision.

So it's a "habit" but Hammo only gives one example which doesn't involve either Voss or the football department? Also I question how likely it is that a guy coming in to do a review of the football department would tell the recruiters to select a particular player. Reid may have given his opinion about Polec considering his ties with South Australia but beyond that it seems like Hammo's usual made-up clap-trap.

Every club would involve the coach in what they are intending to do in the draft. I would also have been shocked if a decision like whether to take Heppell had not been run by the coaching and particularly the doctor and fitness staff. Heppell came with a huge injury question mark over him and we had just come off a couple of other injury players who had been slow to get away.

It would not surprise me if the conversation went something along the lines of

Recruiters - "Look we rate Heppell as the best player likely to be there at our slot. There are a lot of question marks around him injury wise. We have had him examined and it seems like he is okay and we suggest we pick him."

Coaches - "Look we had an injury decimated year last year and we have a lot of injury concerns around our guys. If we can help it we probably do not want to bring in any more injury concerns. Who is next on your list?"

Every club would involve the coach in what they are intending to do in the draft. I would also have been shocked if a decision like whether to take Heppell had not been run by the coaching and particularly the doctor and fitness staff. Heppell came with a huge injury question mark over him and we had just come off a couple of other injury players who had been slow to get away.

It would not surprise me if the conversation went something along the lines of

Recruiters - "Look we rate Heppell as the best player likely to be there at our slot. There are a lot of question marks around him injury wise. We have had him examined and it seems like he is okay and we suggest we pick him."

Coaches - "Look we had an injury decimated year last year and we have a lot of injury concerns around our guys. If we can help it we probably do not want to bring in any more injury concerns. Who is next on your list?"

John Reid "I've seen Polec play, he's a gun, take him first"

John Reid "I've seen Polec play, he's a gun, take him first"

"And put a few trade clauses in his contract to keep him happy... what could possibly go wrong?"

Not sure if anyone else heard it. Malcom Holmes was on NIRS this afternoon, the boys asked him about Hammo's article, his response was - it is flat out wrong, completely wrong.

I''l take the word of our CEO over this knob trash journalist any day.

Nice catch!

Recruiters Insight: Part 1
6 June 2013
Sam Lord

While players and coaches are generally focussed on taking things ‘one week at a time’, the same can’t be said for the Club’s recruiting staff.

Talent identification is a never-ending process, and the Brisbane Lions’ recruiting team maintain a long-term approach in scouring the country to find the future stars of the AFL. For instance, many of the players that will be eligible to nominate for the 2013 AFL National Draft have already been heavily scrutinised over the past few years. So almost as soon as the final name was read out at the Rookie Draft last December, the Lions’ recruiting staff began looking towards the next crop of potential draftees.

“We started to formulate our list for 2013 at the end of last year,” Lions Senior Recruiting Manager Stephen Conole told lions.com.au. “We meet all the key stakeholders at the SANFL, WAFL and TAC Cup as well as the Division Two competitions to gauge to discuss players’ aptitude, family life, and their demands for 2013. It helps us paint a better all-round picture.

The Club’s ‘priority list’ is subject to change throughout the season as lesser-known players inevitably emerge as legitimate draft candidates, while some of the more highly-rated prospects from 12 months earlier can just as quickly drop off the recruiting radar.

“As for our three selections, Sam Mayes we regarded very highly as an U17 and maintained a strong interest throughout his final year. “We certainly knew about Marco Paparone and Michael Close, but both showed an enormous amount of improvement in their top-age year to shoot up our ranks.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back