Football Department Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

http://m.lions.com.au/news/2015-08-26/finding-a-better-way.mobileapp

Elite Performance Manager Brett Burton will also leave the Club at the end of the season after accepting a role elsewhere. A replacement for Burton had been identified and the Club is comfortable with the candidates it has for the position and the role will be filled by the end of our season, said Swann.

The new Football Manager was today announced as Matthew Francis, formerly the Club’s Skill Development Manager, who will oversee the administrative running of football operation including compliance and TPP.

I wonder if that appointment was restricted by the salary we could afford to offer.

Dunno. Looks like a lot of the blame is going to the support staff.
Or more like a new coach finally getting the chance to put his own preferred staff in?

Or more like a new coach finally getting the chance to put his own preferred staff in?

I don't think it is or should be the coach's responsibility to hire Elite performance and Football operation managers.

http://m.lions.com.au/news/2015-08-26/finding-a-better-way.mobileapp

Elite Performance Manager Brett Burton will also leave the Club at the end of the season after accepting a role elsewhere. A replacement for Burton had been identified and the Club is comfortable with the candidates it has for the position and the role will be filled by the end of our season, said Swann.

The new Football Manager was today announced as Matthew Francis, formerly the Club’s Skill Development Manager, who will oversee the administrative running of football operation including compliance and TPP.

Interesting language....

"A replacement had been identified..."

"the club is comfortable with the candidates".

Anyways... Interested to hear who the new person is!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe not but he is in the best position to assess the one's he has.

I don't think so.

Football manager sounds mainly administrative and accurately judging Burton would be tough without a sports science background.

I don't think so.

Football manager sounds mainly administrative and accurately judging Burton would be tough without a sports science background.
I disagree - the proof is in the pudding with Burton - the coach (and Football Director) knows what he has delivered - doesn't need a sports scientist to figure that one out.

I disagree - the proof is in the pudding with Burton - the coach (and Football Director) knows what he has delivered - doesn't need a sports scientist to figure that one out.

So how would he know the next guy will have less injuries.

So how would he know the next guy will have less injuries.
I'm sure the decision to move Burton on was based on more than just injuries but the answer is they don't know. But if your point is that a person with a sports science background would be in any better position to make that prediction, well, again, I disagree. And I don't want to argue with you so I've probably said all I need to say on that subject.

So what background does Matthew Francis have? Going from Development to Football Manager is a bit different.

Teaching IIRC. So will have plenty of experience jumping through bureaucratic hoops and red tape.

I don't think it is or should be the coach's responsibility to hire Elite performance and Football operation managers.

Meant more so the "elite performance manager", which is just a stupid title for "fitness & conditioning coach" and I absolutely think the head coach should have a say in it, he's the one that'll be working & directing him in what fitness goals they want to attain, not Swann or Lethal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back