Football history

Remove this Banner Ad

From the excellent football writer Gary James. This from 1935.

10428130_10152744272437816_4933899234455465947_n.jpg

Din't think it was any particular reason although both sides had big name players playing on the day (Stanley Matthews, Frank Swift, Matt Busby).

Maine Rd used to be the biggest ground in england after Wembley and I think we used to hold the record league attendance as well at around 80k.

Man Uniteds record attendance is still at Maine Rd, which they used after their sty got bombed by Uwe Roslers grandad.

I have quite a few books on Liverpool's history, one book in particular is a great read called Red Men by John Williams. I couldnt recommend it highly enough for other LFC fans. Or even football fans in general really.

But what I found really interesting when reading about Liverpool in the late 1800's and early 1900's was the formations not only Liverpool played but every team played. Here is an early formation from those times.

2000px-2-3-5_(pyramid).svg.png

Could you imagine playing that formation today haha.

Ok one more...

This one is more for non Liverpool fans. In case you didnt know, we havent always worn all Red. This is our original home shirt when the club was founded.

640px-Liverpool_FC_1892-1896_kit.jpg

Blue and white. Weird. In the early 1900's we switched to an all red shirt with white shorts and red socks. Then switches to black socks and then hooped red and white socks over the next 60 or so years until Shankly arrived.

Then in 1964 the following happened.

Liverpool continued to wear red shirts and white shorts until 1964, when manager Bill Shankly decided to change to an all red strip.[40] Liverpool played in all red for the first time against Anderlecht, as Ian St. John recalled in his autobiography:

He [Shankly] thought the colour scheme would carry psychological impact—red for danger, red for power. He came into the dressing room one day and threw a pair of red shorts to Ronnie Yeats. "Get into those shorts and let's see how you look", he said. "Christ, Ronnie, you look awesome, terrifying. You look 7ft tall." "Why not go the whole hog, boss?" I suggested. "Why not wear red socks? Let's go out all in red." Shankly approved and an iconic kit was born.

Cruyff14

I just read the following.

In March 1919, Arsenal were also gerrymandered into the First Division of the Football League ahead of other, more deserving cases, allegedly because of the friendship between Liverpool's John Mckenna and Arsenal's powerful chairman Sir Henry Norris.

Money and power talked, and the London club became the first and only Football League club to gain such a promotion for reasons other than merit - they have never been relegated since. These were very extraordinary football times indeed.

Any idea if that is true? I read it in Red Men, the book chronicling Liverpool's entire history. I assume his research is second to none but it's an interesting bit from the book no doubt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Second most dramatic moment in modern football history IMO.

The 2012 title race being #1? Both incredible days of football but I think the fact that Liverpool & Arsenal were 1 & 2 going into that game essentially turning it into a cup final to decide the league made it that extra bit special. Came a month after the Hillsborough disaster too.

image.jpg

It's interesting, I can't remember the last time I saw any the big sides facing off on the final day of the season, is this why?

Second most dramatic moment in modern football history IMO.

Second?

I'd say it's first by some distance.

1988-89 Arsenal had to beat a Liverpool side at Anfield that had won 9 of the previous 13 league titles by two clear goals and were unbeaten since January 1st 1989. "You haven't got a prayer, Arsenal" read the national newspaper headlines.

Not only did they win with the last kick of the game, they kept Liverpool scoreless at home.

Man City just had to beat QPR - a team that had conceded over 60+ goals, one point away from relegation, at home, with 11 v 10 for over half an hour. Yes it was dramatic but only because City were completely inept for most of the game. City were expected to win that game and should have done so comfortably.

Cruyff14

I just read the following.

In March 1919, Arsenal were also gerrymandered into the First Division of the Football League ahead of other, more deserving cases, allegedly because of the friendship between Liverpool's John Mckenna and Arsenal's powerful chairman Sir Henry Norris.

Money and power talked, and the London club became the first and only Football League club to gain such a promotion for reasons other than merit - they have never been relegated since. These were very extraordinary football times indeed.

Any idea if that is true? I read it in Red Men, the book chronicling Liverpool's entire history. I assume his research is second to none but it's an interesting bit from the book no doubt.

http://www.blog.woolwicharsenal.co.uk/archives/314

Explains it more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back