Football history

Remove this Banner Ad

So fellas, in the PL era, five teams have won the title: Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal... can anyone guess number five?

That's right, Blackburn! It is 20 years... and now one day to the day when Blackburn won their 3rd title, the first after 81 years. Guess where they won the title?

Despite the loss to Liverpool, West Ham held Man Utd to a draw, which saw the Riversiders take home a well fought title.

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/blackburn-rovers-1994-95-premier-league-champions-2455520.aspx

blackburn460.jpg

Blackburn1994-95.jpg

Hey, can anyone tell me who the hell this guy is? I could've sworn I've seen him before... NUFC Tiger , any ideas?

Alan-Shearer-Blackburn-008.jpg

The chase for the title as seen on MOTD:

Final table:
hqdefault.jpg

So fellas, in the PL era, five teams have won the title: Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal... can anyone guess number five?

That's right, Blackburn! It is 20 years... and now one day to the day when Blackburn won their 3rd title, the first after 81 years. Guess where they won the title?

Despite the loss to Liverpool, West Ham held Man Utd to a draw, which saw the Riversiders take home a well fought title.

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/blackburn-rovers-1994-95-premier-league-champions-2455520.aspx

blackburn460.jpg

Blackburn1994-95.jpg

Hey, can anyone tell me who the hell this guy is? I could've sworn I've seen him before... NUFC Tiger , any ideas?

Alan-Shearer-Blackburn-008.jpg

The chase for the title as seen on MOTD:

Final table:
hqdefault.jpg

Forest, Leeds, QPR and Wimbledon all in the top 10. Chelsea in 11th? Imagine seeing a table like that today!

Pretty sure Wimbledon were also managed by one Jo(k)e Kinnear too IIRC. :$

P.S Redalert likes this.

Forest, Leeds, QPR and Wimbledon all in the top 10. Chelsea in 11th? Imagine seeing a table like that today!

P.S Redalert likes this.

Still above Arsenal:D

P.S Redalert likes this.
1988-89 still my favourite. (Nothing to do with Newcastle being relegated, actually scroll down to see the champions and runners up of the 2nd division.

I love going back through the years and seeing who has risen and who has fallen over time.

The other day I watched a replay of our 3rd division playoff final against Gillingham (managed by an angry man with a hat, he's hated us ever since). In the league that season were Fulham, Man City, Wigan, Stoke, Reading, Blackpool, Burnley and now Bournemouth that have hit the heights of the premier league.

From the prem that year Leeds, Leicester, Sheff Wednesday, Coventry, Wimbledon RIP, Southampton and Charlton dropped as far as the 3rd.

10 years ago today. One of my favourite City matches despite the result.

Robbie Fowler missed the penalty and Boro ended up going into the Europa League at our expense.

That was in the days qualifying for the Europa League was something worth celebrating.

Robbie Fowler missed the penalty and Boro ended up going into the Europa League at our expense.

That was in the days qualifying for the Europa League was something worth celebrating.

Hahahaha that was one of the funniest things I've seen on a pitch! How bad was James?!

Hahahaha that was one of the funniest things I've seen on a pitch! How bad was James?!

The skillzzzz on display were awesome.

Did win us a penalty though to be fair. Atmosphere was amazing that day, Nicky Weaver making his first appearance for ages, and then seeing Bambi on ice up front pretending to be a footballer, you just had to laugh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Claudio Reyna - there's a name I haven't heard in a while!

That was the penalty Schwarzer saved I think?

Claudio Reyna - there's a name I haven't heard in a while!

That was the penalty Schwarzer saved I think?

That's right. Was such a "typical City" moment. Reyna now sporting director of NYCFC, so still in the stable so to speak.

I have quite a few books on Liverpool's history, one book in particular is a great read called Red Men by John Williams. I couldnt recommend it highly enough for other LFC fans. Or even football fans in general really.

But what I found really interesting when reading about Liverpool in the late 1800's and early 1900's was the formations not only Liverpool played but every team played. Here is an early formation from those times.

2000px-2-3-5_(pyramid).svg.png

Could you imagine playing that formation today haha.

That's the standard setup for hockey teams, and has been for a long, long time.

Different game, but tactically and positionally they have the same origins.

While on paper it might look odd, the way it's play is generally the same.

2 full backs man the centre forward, the half backs take the wingers

centre half back and the two inside forwards generally go up against each other in a 3 man midfield. Sound familiar?

16 years ago today. 2-0 down going into added time in the 3rd division playoff final. Many think we could have folded if this didnt happen.

And 12 months later we got promoted back to the big time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back