Football in movies

Remove this Banner Ad

"The Match" is something I remember seeing on foxtel years ago. 2 rival pubs play each other every year, the original owners said the winner of the 100th match would take over the other pub. Typical underdog story, one pub won 99 in a row and yeah.. Probably worth a watch though

Alright, so I just watched Bend It Like Beckham for the first time in forever. I have to say, there are some things that I missed when I was younger; Like the fact that the wedding basically went ahead because Pinky was actually pregnant, and the family was saving face by recommitting to the marriage.

Of course, since this is a football forum, you're more interested about the sport itself, rather than the horny Indian chap in the background who seemed to be the only one that connected what was actually going on at the wedding scene (when Jules' mother mistakes Jules and Jess for lesbians).

*Man United were playing Anderlecht, the Champions of Belgium. The film was made in 2002, so this was taken from the 2000-2001 Champions League tie. In the film, it is suggested that the score was a tight 1-0 finish, however the actual result of that game at Old Trafford was 5-1. While it is true that Anderlecht did finish ahead in the first group stage, they didn’t progress any further. I think it says a lot about United’s campaign if Anderlecht was the best team they could do, because they did get knocked out by Bayern. Mind you, the Valencia came would’ve made more sense, considering United only drew 1-1, so the winning goal would’ve meant United instead played Galatasaray, Arsenal would’ve played Real and Valencia would’ve played Bayern.

*After rewatching it, it turns out it’s not Yeading FC (Now Hayes and Yeading as of 2007) that was the team Jess and Jules played for, it was Hounslow, despite everything else pointing to Yeading (Like, you know... the darn van for example?). This is an interesting point on two levels. Hounslow is in Middlesex, just like Yeading. Hounslow does have its own football club, but everything you saw was the facilities of Yeading. Hounslow’s team is Hounslow United, playing in Tier 10 (Combined Counties League Division 1), but they only have a women’s team up to the U17 level. I can’t find any evidence of a Hayes and Yeading Football Team for the women.

*While I suppose you could probably presume that it was a youth team, since Jess is about to leave for University, and 17 is the school leaving age in the UK. But then one of the points in the film is that the team is pushing for professionalism. At the end of the film, Joe claims the Hounslow Harriers is a professional team. Even forgetting that the film was made in 2002, there are some very obvious problems, such as the fact the English WSL is only a semi-pro league, which means even the women of Arsenal and Liverpool need to work a part time job, and they’re the biggest of the big. So the fact that a Tier 10 team in Hounslow can apparently have a professional team when their mens team aren’t (although to be fair, Yeading is a professional team in the Conference South), probably does make one wonder. Then again, Notts County Women are in the top tier, but then again, at least they’re in the FL.

*Speaking of professional football, both Jess and Jules get scholarships to a top tier university so they would later have a career in the WUSA, which was the first ever women’s league where the players are professionals! Unfortunately for the both of them, the WUSA dissolved in 2003, with the league making a total loss of $100m in just three seasons. They had a budget of $40m for five years, but actually spent it all in the first season. Players took a 30% cut just to make the league survive, but it wasn’t enough. The former Tier 2 leagues in the WPSL and W-League became the top tier leagues again. If Jess and Jules wanted to be professionals while still attending college, they would go down the W-League path, at least until 2009, where the WPS became the top tier, and then in 2013, the NWSL, which is the current top tier. In terms of salaries, assuming that Jess and Jules are the best in their sport, they would be expected to be paid at least $100k a year for being in the Top 10. Martha is the highest paid at $400k a year. Of course, this means Raheem Sterling earns more in one week for City than what Jess and Jules get paid for in three years. On the bright side, Jess’ salary is actually worth more than the average ISL player, who earns about $92k a season.

*The teams that were mentioned in the film were Millwall and QPR (That’s the team they played in the final). (Judging from this, it looks like the Hounslow team are playing in the WPL Cup (basically the League Cup), since the tournament is a knockout in nature. There is a Women’s Premier League. It started a season before the men’s Premier League, and was the top tier up until 2010, where it was replaced by the WSL. Both Millwall and QPR were in the 2nd tier South Division for the 01-02 season. The WPL cup would’ve consisted of teams in the 3 divisions that make up the top 2 tiers. The 01-02 Cup was actually won by Fulham over Birmingham, a welcome change from Arsenal dominating everything. If Hounslow actually existed, it would’ve played in the 2nd tier South along with Fulham, Chelsea… and Newport County in Wales… As stated before, it could’ve also been the FA Cup, but considering Hounslow are supposed to be ‘professional,’ (even though mighty Arsenal are only Semi-Pro), it has to be there. Then again, Barry Town (of Welsh Premier League fame at the time, now currently playing in the Welsh 2nd tier after promotion last season) were in the WPL. I guess logic and reason just doesn’t work here.

*The team went to Hamburg, presumably to play Hamburger SV. Hamburger SV won the DFB Pokal in the 01-02 season, despite the fact they were in the 2nd tier for that season. While it is true that there is a European competition for Women (which started in the 01-02 season), it looks like it's only one team per nation back then. Arsenal and Frankfurt were the representatives for England and Germany, where they went as champions for their nation. Even if we were to presume Hounslow and Hamburger managed to win the cup last season as well (they did it in the movie technically speaking), there is no Euro place allocated for cup winners. Of course, it could've been a friendly between 2nd tier clubs, but still! Would you have a half page dedicated to the 2nd tier of women's football? I can kinda believe Arsenal and Frankfurt if it was the actual final for the first ever Euro final for women, but two second tier clubs in a friendly? C'mon! The family shouldn't have a clue about it! (Fun fact: Frankfurt won the competition over Swedish side Umea, Arsenal got knocked out to Toulouse in the Quarters).

*Since it is an official cup competition, the final no less, unless Joe actually named Jess on the bench, there's no way she would've been allowed to come on in the 2nd half. We do see Joe remove her name on the pitch sheets, but would he had enough foresight to figure Jess would've somehow made the game? Then again, she did manage to make it on the trip to Hamburg, so perhaps he did name her, just in case a miracle happened.

I think I took way too much out of that movie, lol. But I enjoyed it, and saw a few things I missed last time, which was a long time ago.

You're the best :D

That's a hell of a 10 year old movie review haha.

Well, I guess now that I'm a bit older, I just wanted to see exactly how well the setting of the movie actually work. I mean, its main plot points don't quite work (Even putting aside the failed WUSA promotion), some of the footballing structure does work. Mind you, if you wanted to promote Women's Football, they couldn't get Arsenal, who were far and away the best women's team in England? They had to settle for QPR (I've also learnt that those were actual QPR footballers. In fact, aside from the two leads, virtually all of the footballers are actual players). Heck, aside from a small scene promoting the WUSA, I bet you barely anyone had any idea who Jules' idol player was (Mia Hamm, her number 9 is in reference to her).

So much nitpicking. Get on a roll, and this is the result!

Last edited:
Did you watch Purely Belter NUFC Tiger ?

I've scouted for it on my last few visits to the shops but had no luck.

I can't even find a bluray version of the original Goal. :(

Might need to look to buy both online.

Haha you know me too well FT! I do indeed have the DVD but I want the Bluray so I can see every ripple of the net when Santiago Munez sends the Toon into the Champions League. :D

Also, cheers for the ebay links. Looks like I'm doing some shopping tonight!

And speaking of tonight, I plan on replying to your latest post in the owners thread. Just been too busy mate! ;)

Haha you know me too well FT! I do indeed have the DVD but I want the Bluray so I can see every ripple of the net when Santiago Munez sends the Toon into the Champions League. :D

Also, cheers for the ebay links. Looks like I'm doing some shopping tonight!

And speaking of tonight, I plan on replying to your latest post in the owners thread. Just been too busy mate! ;)

That's probably one of things I liked about the first Goal movie, it wasn't just about Newcastle United, it was about Newscastle itself. Getting yourself deep into the Toon, interacting with locals, a bit of banter. The atmosphere of the club, the player's journey. We're doing reserve games, we're seeing the training in action. Heck, we're reliving the 03-04 season! Well... the Liverpool game at least (I don't think Fulham was 2nd last?) If I also remember correctly, in reality, I don't think even if Newcastle won, you would've made Champions League (I think this was explained in the DVD commentary). So I guess that means Harris and Munez are the reasons you got Champions League. But yeah, in terms of sports stories, it's a good one.

Well, hope you have fun with that!

Fair enough, looking forward to it! As noted, just do the bits you think are fun, that way more passion comes out!

Goal 3 still baffles me. :mad:

One of life's great mysteries! What were they thinking!?

That's probably one of things I liked about the first Goal movie, it wasn't just about Newcastle United, it was about Newscastle itself. Getting yourself deep into the Toon, interacting with locals, a bit of banter. The atmosphere of the club, the player's journey. We're doing reserve games, we're seeing the training in action. Heck, we're reliving the 03-04 season! Well... the Liverpool game at least (I don't think Fulham was 2nd last?) If I also remember correctly, in reality, I don't think even if Newcastle won, you would've made Champions League (I think this was explained in the DVD commentary). So I guess that means Harris and Munez are the reasons you got Champions League. But yeah, in terms of sports stories, it's a good one.

Well, hope you have fun with that!

Fair enough, looking forward to it! As noted, just do the bits you think are fun, that way more passion comes out!

Purchases made...along with a few other additions. My bank account doesn't thank you FT! :p

Fun fact about Bend it like Beckham :
It was the first western movie released in North Korea.... in 2010!!!

Did not know that Oz! Did they 'modify' it in any way (apart from presumably sub titles/Korean voice overs).

One of life's great mysteries! What were they thinking!?
I remember them talking about the original Goal and the oncoming sequels. On paper, it sounded brilliant at it went through his rise as a footballer, all the way to the World Cup. The first two movies were great in my opinion. I haven't seen the third, but just seeing it makes me cringe. So instead of getting a debate in seeing Mexico and England face off in the final, we get introduced to his two 'friends' that we have never seen before, none of the previous cast is back, and he doesn't even make it to the World Cup! If the plot summery is correct, it says he goes to Tottenham?! The hell? Then I think it said the 2nd half is basically 'Geordie Road Trip.' The CG effects take a huge hit, I mean:

Seriously? Are you kidding me with those numbers? If 26 was an allowable number, John Terry would be wearing it.

As far as I'm aware of, there seems to be virtually no reason for this change. To be honest, I didn't even know it ever came up until I was looking up Goal, and saw that the third one was released straight to DVD. After seeing the cover, I can see why.

Part of me wants to see this, but the other half says don't watch it, because they don't want to ruin it.

Purchases made...along with a few other additions. My bank account doesn't thank you FT! :p

Hey now, I only directed you. What happened beyond that is none of my responsibility, lol.

Did not know that Oz! Did they 'modify' it in any way (apart from presumably sub titles/Korean voice overs).

I remember this fact! The question I want to know is, of all the movies they could've shown, why Bend It Like Beckham? Especially considering its undertones conflicting with NK propaganda (which is the bending the rules of society). Then again, Goal probably would've inspired North Koreans to make an escape in the dreams of a better lifestyle. I mean, they had Dennis Rodman, they couldn't do Simon Sez or even Space Jam? Or even Like Mike, lol.

Then again, when you have Gary Lineker going 'Hot Hot Hot,' then I think that's enough to tip them over the edge.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone ever watched any if the official World Cup films? They are really good, they capture the era and so much else with some great narration. I'll put this one up for obvious reasons (greT seeing 66 in technicolor) but from there it links you to the other tournaments. Can't seem to find '70 in English which is a shame

Has anyone ever watched any if the official World Cup films? They are really good, they capture the era and so much else with some great narration. I'll put this one up for obvious reasons (greT seeing 66 in technicolor) but from there it links you to the other tournaments. Can't seem to find '70 in English which is a shame

Cor blimey, 1966 in colour! That Batman like intro... Have to say it certainly is from the era. But wowee... it's amazing how much fan culture has changed from 1966. You see all those people there, overflowing onto the pitch there, and aside from any attempts on goal, it's very silent. Then again, there are some notable empty seats, like the highlight for me, the Italy-North Korea game! (Also note how they are called Korea. You can even hear the chants of Ko-re-a. Lol, the Italians went home to their tomatoes). I do remember seeing a documentary about that 1966 North Korea team, and they interviewed the players that were there as well. It's some riveting stuff:

Cheers for that, shame about 1970. I'll see if I can find the English version of that somewhere. That's some great stuff going on there!

Cor blimey, 1966 in colour! That Batman like intro... Have to say it certainly is from the era. But wowee... it's amazing how much fan culture has changed from 1966. You see all those people there, overflowing onto the pitch there, and aside from any attempts on goal, it's very silent. Then again, there are some notable empty seats, like the highlight for me, the Italy-North Korea game! (Also note how they are called Korea. You can even hear the chants of Ko-re-a. Lol, the Italians went home to their tomatoes). I do remember seeing a documentary about that 1966 North Korea team, and they interviewed the players that were there as well. It's some riveting stuff:

Cheers for that, shame about 1970. I'll see if I can find the English version of that somewhere. That's some great stuff going on there!

The 70 one looks great but it's in Spainish.

I watched the 82 one, got Connery narrating. Rick Wakeman kind of devalues it with his outdated electronic noodling.

My favourite England World Cup films are 1970, 1974, 1978, 1982, 1986, 1990, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2014 being the best of the bunch.

That's impressive considering England were not in either 74 (Lost out to Poland, but needed to win by 5 goals) or 78 (Lost out to Italy on goal difference despite one loss). 74 was purely the English's fault, but 78 was harsh, England and Italy in the same group? Scotland and Sweden in their own groups? Come on!

The 70 one looks great but it's in Spainish.

I watched the 82 one, got Connery narrating. Rick Wakeman kind of devalues it with his outdated electronic noodling.

To make things even funnier, I just saw a Greek version of 1970. Yeah, a Greek version, but no English version, OK... (I want to say it's taken down, but there's quite a few views for the 1966 film, and you would think if any of them was going to be taken down, it would be the most popular one.)

It looks like 1970 has some sort of side story in this one, about a kid getting excited for the World Cup in Mexico. I haven't seen any bits of the others yet.

Looking at the series, it starts at World Cup 1954, and it covers everything up to the present day. I knew about the modern ones up to 2002, they didn't seem as interesting at the time (probably because I had just seen the event for myself), but I didn't actually think it stretched back as far as 1954. These older ones definitely do take you back to the era and what things were like at the time. It's not a retrospective look, it was genuinely made at the time, and events that would happen later on are not foreshadowed. (That Pele bit in 1966 when the players were coming out of the plane, there's something special about that.) I know you can find matches of the time, but the way the film captures the country, the era, and the feeling at the time, I think they do an excellent job of summing up that World Cup. (Also note the mass usage of Union Jacks in 1966, you definitely won't be seeing those anytime soon.)

Well, it certainly looks like you've bought some excellent light on these films, I've got to try watch them all (the past ones especially. I'm going to try 1974, I want to see how they represent Australia and Zaire in that one), and just take in the experience of a day gone by. I've also got to hear Connery's commentary of 1982!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back