Game Day Footscray vs Box Hill. VFL Grand Final

May 31, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just wanted to congratulate you guys on the VFL premiership yesterday. I think it has been a fantastic success for both the Bulldogs and the VFL having Footscray in the competition, and yesterday I was more than a little bit jealous watching the 'Scray win like that. The future is very exciting for the Bulldogs and I hope it works out for you guys. :thumbsu:

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
On yesterdays performance I can see Boyd playing second fiddle to Jongy next year..........

Very cute True dog , but I did like your super dog a lot ,and it would have been especially more appropriate today !

LOL at the half time segment with Rhys Jones, Boyd and German. The camera had pulled back and you could see that although they were all wearing white shirts, jackets and ties - and Boyd and German were in suits - Rhys Jones was wearing faded jeans. Woops.

My best were:
Campbell, Goodes, Jong, JJ, Jones, Tutt and maybe Austin (am I really saying that?) Good spread of performance from all the others.

Although Young had some shocking moments, especially early, I liked that he kept on ploughing in and he ended up doing quite a few good things. Not saying I'd keep him but I applaud his persistence.

The most exciting performances from a WB perspective were Campbell, Jong, JJ and Jones. They should play the majority of senior games next year. We must re-sign Jones.

EDIT: Add Russell to the bests. I forgot about him but he was composed most of the day except for two uncharacteristic clangers.

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
On yesterdays performance I can see Boyd playing second fiddle to Jongy next year..........

I can see Boyd playing second fiddle to a lot of players next year. IMHO, Wallis has already leapfrogged him while Smith and Jong offer more useful attributes. He'll be useful as depth and he'd be good to have as a leader around the club.

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I love Honeychurch, would literally turn gay for him with some of the things he does. Loves how he really attacks the contest and plays his heart out. Even loved how he taunts his opponent when they are trying to take a kickout after a behind, and tries to get in their head.

I also saw the TAC Cup Final before hand, shame Wright didn't play. Was surprised at the margin at the end of the game. But well done to Oakleigh on their Premiership win. Some good players on both sides, hope their draft dreams come true this year or in the years ahead. :)
I was already giving the kicker s**t and then I looked up and saw Honey mouthing off, thought it was hysterical. Would love to know what he was saying.

Love his attack on the footy. He can get belted around at times and he always gets straight back up, gives them a shove and a couple of choice words, and hits the next contest just as hard. Success just follows him around, too. Eastern Ranges (my local club) premiership last year, Footscray premiership this year... what does 2015 hold?

I'd like for the Dogs in particular to help Foster and Wright realize their dreams. Hopefully Darcy Moore gets to the Pies, too.

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
What is the Fogarty story, he looks like a footballer.

23 year old VFA player for Spotswood FC. Five goals from 13 games but he was named in our best for the Port and Box Hill games and is pretty Libba esque when it comes to tackling with 26 from the past three games and a grand total of 99 tackles for the season.

TempleKelvington

Cancelled
Sep 23, 2009
Out searching for omens pointing to our next flag.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I reckon tagging would have helped him a lot, the game didn't really come naturally to him in the past so playing on some of the best mids on the game would have been fantastic for him. People were complaining when we played him on Danger, looks like we were saying to him that's what your capable of playing like, just watch everything he does and try to emulate it.

I can honestly see him having a huge impact next year, we all know we need pace in the midfield and he brings that in spades but he's not just an outside runner, he's a bull on the contested side too which is perfect for our set up. And he runs both ways too. Set him up on the defensive side of the square behind the ball and just tell him to be running forward at all times (but be quick to get back the other way).

Good point, tagging was perhaps to help him learn. How quick is he from stoppages!

TempleKelvington

Cancelled
Sep 23, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
LOL at the half time segment with Rhys Jones, Boyd and German. The camera had pulled back and you could see that although they were all wearing white shirts, jackets and ties - and Boyd and German were in suits - Rhys Jones was wearing faded jeans. Woops.

yeah once they faded back to him and he was in boxers!

TempleKelvington

Cancelled
Sep 23, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My best were:
Campbell, Goodes, Jong, JJ, Jones, Tutt and maybe Austin (am I really saying that?) Good spread of performance from all the others.

Although Young had some shocking moments, especially early, I liked that he kept on ploughing in and he ended up doing quite a few good things. Not saying I'd keep him but I applaud his persistence.

The most exciting performances from a WB perspective were Campbell, Jong, JJ and Jones. They should play the majority of senior games next year. We must re-sign Jones.

EDIT: Add Russell to the bests. I forgot about him but he was composed most of the day except for two uncharacteristic clangers.

Good post. I thought Young copped it a bit on here, he was trying all day, provided run. Sure he got beaten by Sicilly a few times. Also agree on Russell, I did mention him in my review, but probably not enough. 2 Mistakes aside, he was really good! I hope he goes around next year for us.

Good post. I thought Young copped it a bit on here, he was trying all day, provided run. Sure he got beaten by Sicilly a few times. Also agree on Russell, I did mention him in my review, but probably not enough. 2 Mistakes aside, he was really good! I hope he goes around next year for us.
The issue with Young wasn't that he wasn't trying. It's just that he was completely shown up by a 19 year old late draftee who is yet to play an AFL game.
Watching it live, Young consistently got burnt on the lead by him. It wasn't as if he wasn't trying to keep up, it just that he had physical limitations that he was slow.
But in the cases when he did keep up with him, he got thrown around in marking contests, pushed to the back, way to easily against a player who was younger, smaller, lighter, shorter, less experienced than him. So it wasn't for lack of trying. It was just obvious the limitations of his ability.

The issue with Young wasn't that he wasn't trying. It's just that he was completely shown up by a 19 year old late draftee who is yet to play an AFL game.
Watching it live, Young consistently got burnt on the lead by him. It wasn't as if he wasn't trying to keep up, it just that he had physical limitations that he was slow.
But in the cases when he did keep up with him, he got thrown around in marking contests, pushed to the back, way to easily against a player who was younger, smaller, lighter, shorter, less experienced than him. So it wasn't for lack of trying. It was just obvious the limitations of his ability.
Fair points. The good that Young did was more when he had the ball in hand and sometimes when it was 50/50. I agree he got outmarked a bit. However Sicily was expected to go higher in the draft (maybe 2nd round) and will probably be a reasonable AFL player so it's no shame to be outmarked by him.

I am not suggesting we retain Young, BTW, I'm just saying he did some nice things and remained positive.

TempleKelvington

Cancelled
Sep 23, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Yeah he does have limitations, but so do most of the guys playing at the level.

But on the counter to that was his run and carry he provided. He took the game on a lot and he even kicked a goal early. He is only 21 himself. He's 195cm tall, same height as Roberts and Talia, that is KP height and perhaps he's not suited for pace to the smaller quicker types and yet not built enough to play on the big guys. So I think we expect a lot of him when he plays on the mediums who have pace.

He looks older than he is too. But I think his biggest issue is that he is caught in betwix and between in terms of his role. He has some pace, some size but not enough of either to become a med defender or a tall defender. I would put him in the gym, get him some size and then he could be an athletic KP defender. Maybe.

Metal

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2006
Yes
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just on Jong, he played one senior game in the second half of the season. He played on Hannaberry for most of that game. Ask your self why he was brought in for one game and placed on such a player. If you looked closely you would have seen that he was positioned on different sides of the square during the game (possibly just following Hannaberry, but he didn't play on him exclusively).

Now what would he have learnt playing on such a star? Well, Hannaberry had 28 possessions for the game, most of them in close. He would have seen how he gets the ball in tight and handballs to someone else to open up the play.

I would suggest that this is precisely what Jong was doing against Box Hill.

Various posters said that he wasn't up to it and should be moved on. But a more discerning view would be that he played that senior game for development reasons only.

On that day he was a bit hit and miss. He still is. Patience is still required. Yesterday he had space to move; it's a different kettle of fish when he can't get that room. Plenty more for him to learn.

Oh, and another smart move by McCartney who clearly takes absolutely no notice of the hoardes of people who wanted to get rid of him and said he couldn't play.

Last edited:

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just on Jong, he played one senior game in the second half of the season. He played on Hannaberry for most of that game. Ask your self why he was brought in for one game and placed on such a player. If you looked closely you would have seen that he was positioned on different sides of the square during the game (possibly just following Hannaberry, but he didn't play on him exclusively).

Now what would he have learnt playing on such a star? Well, Hannaberry had 28 possessions for the game, most of them in close. He would have seen how he gets the ball in tight and handballs to someone else to open up the play.

Various posters said that he wasn't up to it and should be moved on. But a more discerning view would be that he played that senior game for development reasons only.

On that day he was a bit hit and miss. He still is. Patience is still required. Yesterday he had space to move; it's a different kettle of fish when he can't get that room. Plenty more for him to learn.

Oh, and another smart move by McCartney who clearly takes absolutely no notice of the hoardes of people who wanted to get rid of him and said he couldn't play.
Similarly on Dangerfield earlier in the year. I thought he competed very well in the first half of that game but that was not a widely held view.

SonOfScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2002
Bay 18 L3
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bruins, Ice, Aces
Jong levelled up yesterday, he just willed himself into each contest and powered away. Always on his toes and ready to react. Great attribute to have in a side that thrives on the contest and ends up in a lot of traffic. We will benefit from a player like him opening up the clinches a bit and getting the ball into space in our possession.

Great response to a bit of a bad luck injury wise etc.

The learning process sometimes has to come at the expense of a "bad game". I remember Wallis being put onto Sam Mitchell. No matter how badly he was being shown up, the coach left him there to learn. Pretty sure Macca said Mitchell has the most similar traits to Wallis in the league so it would be a long term gain. Traits such as not overly quick, but tough in close and the will to compete.

Yeah he does have limitations, but so do most of the guys playing at the level.

But on the counter to that was his run and carry he provided. He took the game on a lot and he even kicked a goal early. He is only 21 himself. He's 195cm tall, same height as Roberts and Talia, that is KP height and perhaps he's not suited for pace to the smaller quicker types and yet not built enough to play on the big guys. So I think we expect a lot of him when he plays on the mediums who have pace.

He looks older than he is too. But I think his biggest issue is that he is caught in betwix and between in terms of his role. He has some pace, some size but not enough of either to become a med defender or a tall defender. I would put him in the gym, get him some size and then he could be an athletic KP defender. Maybe.

Sorry TK but Young is only 191/192 so is a little undersized as a key defender, and is way to slow to be a rebounding defender.
Im not sure myself, but to me he looked a bit heavier than he did last year, i wonder if they have been trying to bulk him up a bit, he certainly looks slower than he did last season.

HiReception

Club Legend
Aug 8, 2010
Exiled to Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I feel honoured to have taken a Selfie with Strong Bad SonOfScray right after the game!

2014-09-21%2016.59.20.jpg

(Oh, and Sorry VitalDread, I tried to follow you to tape Darley's talc throw and lost you :drunk:)

I feel honoured to have taken a Selfie with Strong Bad SonOfScray right after the game!

2014-09-21%2016.59.20.jpg

(Oh, and Sorry VitalDread, I tried to follow you to tape Darley's talc throw and lost you :drunk:)
had no idea it was you man!
sorry man
People lose me all the time in crowds im like a rocket

TempleKelvington

Cancelled
Sep 23, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sorry TK but Young is only 191/192 so is a little undersized as a key defender, and is way to slow to be a rebounding defender.
Im not sure myself, but to me he looked a bit heavier than he did last year, i wonder if they have been trying to bulk him up a bit, he certainly looks slower than he did last season.

It's a tough one. We have to make list changes, someone has to go. I'm just not sure at just over 22 he's not got some improvement to come.

Back