Footy Brawl - Ban Grog?

mottrain

Premiership Player
Suspended
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
So the Waverley vs Carrum Patterson Grand Final was called at half time through idiots from Mt Waverley there as spectators getting grogged up and deciding to start a brawl with players from Carrum. Waverley was up by 5 goals at the time and as a result the Crrum team decided not to return and the game got called off because of their unwillingness to return and also police advice.

Apparently a number of div three teams have had issues of this type in the weeks leading up and security was inadequate despite the sponsor being a security company charged with looking after these affairs for the match.

These idiots were so s**t faced that some couldn't stand and the behaviour was foul. I feel particularly sorry for Mount Waverley as they turned the tide and looked like they were finally going to win one after

5 Seasons of being Minor Premiers

200% at the ladder completion.

Winning the Qualifying Final the majority of time to take them to the grand Final before losing. These guys were real chokers and it made it all the more special had they hung on and gone on to take the title.

Having been to a few of these matches or grand final in this competition I have seen how heavily drunk moronic people get and as a result the all in barneys and swearing etc coming from it. Considering the issues in the league leading up it seems moreso that the security needed to be extra tight to stop this from finding its way to the game.

A number of other leagues ban booze at all matches like the Amateurs which was arguably the antagonist for this event. The question is should the AFL get stronger on the banning of booze at their comps in suburbs which they take an interest and affilaiation with?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...and-unacceptable/story-fngnvoeu-1227058124460

moses

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Home
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
So the Waverley vs Carrum Patterson Grand Final was called at half time through idiots from Mt Waverley there as spectators getting grogged up and deciding to start a brawl with players from Carrum. Waverley was up by 5 goals at the time and as a result the Crrum team decided not to return and the game got called off because of their unwillingness to return and also police advice.

Apparently a number of div three teams have had issues of this type in the weeks leading up and security was inadequate despite the sponsor being a security company charged with looking after these affairs for the match.

These idiots were so s**t faced that some couldn't stand and the behaviour was foul. I feel particularly sorry for Mount Waverley as they turned the tide and looked like they were finally going to win one after

5 Seasons of being Minor Premiers

200% at the ladder completion.

Winning the Qualifying Final the majority of time to take them to the grand Final before losing. These guys were real chokers and it made it all the more special had they hung on and gone on to take the title.

Having been to a few of these matches or grand final in this competition I have seen how heavily drunk moronic people get and as a result the all in barneys and swearing etc coming from it. Considering the issues in the league leading up it seems moreso that the security needed to be extra tight to stop this from finding its way to the game.

A number of other leagues ban booze at all matches like the Amateurs which was arguably the antagonist for this event. The question is should the AFL get stronger on the banning of booze at their comps in suburbs which they take an interest and affilaiation with?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/south-east/league-boss-says-fighting-at-southern-league-grand-final-was-deplorable-and-unacceptable/story-fngnvoeu-1227058124460

I'm not sure what it is like in Vic, but here the majority of grass roots teams rely on selling booze on match day to help bankroll the club. Unless there is a monumental cash injection from the AFL to cover the loss of earnings to grass root clubs from a booze ban, it will never happen.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
The idiot mindset is really what causes it. Alcohol is just an accelerant and convenient excuse for the stupid behaviour.

Despite the evidence of the Prohibition Era, I think it's easier to ban grog than it is to ban idiots..... Beer doesn't breed and create mini beers, idiots do.....

grouse mate

Premiership Player
Jan 12, 2014
On a bike
AFL Club
GWS
No a group of Waverley fans giving it to them over the result to half time.

Not quite.

I am lead to believe that the Mount Waverley fans were seen to assault the Carrum playing coach.

I wasn't there but a lot of people that were say it was the result of an on-field incident involving the Carrum coach. Seems what has been reported is half the story.

mottrain

Premiership Player
Suspended
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
In a lot of cases, it's no much the grog they drink AT the game, but the skinload they've also had BEFORE the game .... mixed with little red pills.
Apparently they were given free booze on the club prior. Spot on.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I am lead to believe that the Mount Waverley fans were seen to assault the Carrum playing coach.

Try the whole team. I play for CPL, played in this game, was involved in this brawl, there were up to half a dozen opposition supporters in the Carrum rooms throwing punches at one point. The players dealt with them, got them out of the rooms, and the brawl continued outside when the Carrum supporters cottoned onto what was happening.

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Try the whole team. I play for CPL, played in this game, was involved in this brawl, there were up to half a dozen opposition supporters in the Carrum rooms throwing punches at one point. The players dealt with them, got them out of the rooms, and the brawl continued outside when the Carrum supporters cottoned onto what was happening.

Holy s**t. Hope there's been no damage to yourself. But, I think the SFL could be having some very interesting discussions this week.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Holy s**t. Hope there's been no damage to yourself. But, I think the SFL could be having some very interesting discussions this week.

One of the CPL players was knocked out and taken to hospital, 4 other or so players king hit, I'm not sure of damage to the members of the crowd, we were locked in the rooms after the initial minute.

Reminded me of the reverse case of the Ron Artest incident. But with the MT supporters waiting at the door to the CPL rooms.

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
One of the CPL players was knocked out and taken to hospital, 4 other or so players king hit, I'm not sure of damage to the members of the crowd, we were locked in the rooms after the initial minute.

Reminded me of the reverse case of the Ron Artest incident. But with the MT supporters waiting at the door to the CPL rooms.

Keep us all posted on the results of the investigation and hope the boys get ok.

mottrain

Premiership Player
Suspended
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

Was that the bearded guy who's your playing coach???

Back