Footy Colloquialisms and Regionalisms

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope

Banana = inside
Checkside = outside
Snap = inside

"so known as a 'banana kick', the checkside punt is a kicking style used in Australian rules football, rugby league and rugby union. When kicked, it bends away from the body. For the true checkside, the ball is held with ends pointing to 2 and 8 o-clock (for a right footed kick) and is kicked more off the outside of the boot with the ball spinning at an opposite direction to the swing of the leg. This enables the ball to have a greater curving effect thus opening up the face of the goals to give a larger goal face."

"There is also the "snap", which is almost the same as a checkside punt, except that it is kicked off the inside of the foot and curves in the opposite direction. It is also possible to kick the ball so that it bounces along the ground."

Bananas and snaps are not the same. Just like the drop punt and the drop kick are not the same.

Please dont take my last post that seriously, I really was just carrying on the debate.

Most of the names in this thread are used interchangeably anyway, and thats what makes it okay.

Ahh yes, colts is a big one.

What about seconds v twos? Maybe it's just down to the individual and not their locale, but I'm pretty sure I've never heard a West Aussie say "playing in the magoos." Seems a VFLism.

Magoos
Scooby Doos or Scoobs
Dew kickers
My old man calls them "the Dicks" sometimes, seems to be a very old one though... "How come he's playing in the dicks?" about a good player

U18s and U19s have always been Colts to me

It's common in Brisbane for the term AFL to refer to both the sport of Australian football in addition to the Australian Football League.
I rip the PE teachers at school for this...and they don't come back with "Gayfl" because they know it would make them look less "jock"...!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When did Woolworths stop being Safeway? I still call it Safeway. Or is that just a Vic thing?

The Vic-wide rebrand to Woolworths began six years ago and is still in process with many outside signage still referring to stores as 'Safeway'. It's all I'll ever call it, don't know too many down here who say otherwise

It was called a "Tory" in suburban Perth too.

It hasn't been uncommon at clubs I've played at in Melbourne. I think the vast majority of these terms are interchangeable (with a few exceptions): I don't think one state calls it 'ressies' another the 'seconds' and another the 'twos'. Even 'jumper' and 'guernsey'. Everyone just uses them all.

The banana/snap/checkside thing has me baffled though. Snap = inside. Banana/checkside = outside.

Same in Sydney. If someone says they play AFL that does not mean they play in the AFL. It means they play Australian Rules Football.

Yes I hear my mate and his two teenage boys from Canberra use the term AFL to refer to the under age games they play there.

To me it reeks of branding and I much prefer the term Aussie Rule or Australian football if you are interstate and wanting to differ from soccer or rugby league or union.

You and everyone else that's not called Dwayne Russell or Kevin Bartlett.
Always thought that 'dummy' was the rugby term (spent a fair bit of time in qld growing up and tried as hard as possible never to use their terminology), whereas 'we' use 'baulk' / 'feign' in footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back