Footy Dreams — GilG's SBNation.com American AFL Hopefuls Piece

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a great article GilG :)

You tell a good story that I believe even people not remotely interested in footy will enjoy. You article bring me on a journey with players, from them getting a seemingly dodgy text message, to making a big decision to move to a far away country playing a game they hardly know, to the challenges they faced playing the game and finally getting some success (or failure).

Makes me want to root for these players and hope they'll end up playing afl on day.

Fantastic article Gil....very interesting subject matter and your writing style is very good too.

I will definitely be following the careers of the players mentioned in season 2015.

Great read :thumbsu:
Then I read the comments.....
LOL! Cheers, mate. Love your passion for your club. What’s better than a footy intra-city rivalry, anyway? Have to tip my hat to Matt Priddis on his Brownlow win (that Nat Fyfe should’ve taken out!) and — psst, don’t tell anyone — I actually like Nic-Nat. Ahem. But this year, the Freo boys will be out to take both Derbys!
:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The article has been posted on the main board, also on the Collingwood board. Has received lots of approval & likes.

If there's a better article on footy in 2015 it'll have to be something pretty special. Huge props Gil, obviously written by and for genuine footy fans.

Thanks, Quinz! Still hoping to get to my first Western Derby sometime. Pretty interesting that an Eagle (Nic-Nat) inspired Jason Holmes to take up Aussie Rules.

I still remember how we got Gil to BF, called up 6PR and told his story after a game and was contacted by Seppo (?) soon afterwards to join BF. I think it went something like that. As always a meticulous yet passionate piece, great stuff mate.

Cheers, riteo! Can't wait for the new season to start. Can't wait to chat with you and everyone else about actual match stuff!

I just want to thank everyone for the incredible support you've given me, for this piece and the friendly feedback. I love this game with all my heart and soul, just as you all do. The piece is a result of several months of very hard work and its a reflection of all of you I've ever chatted about footy with on this board, who have deepened my education about the game and inspired me to learn more. I sincerely mean that. When riteo mentioned how I joined BigFooty, it brings back fond memories. Thank you for welcoming me into the Freo family. I can't wait to one day get around you in WA for a Freo home match and then to do that in Melbourne WHEN we win our first flag.

Last edited:
I just want to thank everyone for the incredible support you've given me, for this piece and the friendly feedback. I love this game with all my heart and soul, just as you all do. The piece is a result of several months of very hard work and its a reflection of all of you I've ever chatted about footy with on this board, who have deepened my education about the game and inspired me to learn more. I sincerely mean that. When riteo mentioned how I joined BigFooty, it brings back fond memories. Thank you for welcoming me into the Freo family. I can't wait to one day get around you in WA for a Freo home match and then to do that in Melbourne WHEN we win our first flag.
I'll get to meet you in September then! ;)

or is it october this year?

I think we should petition to have you hand Pav the premiership cup in October !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back