Footy in eras past (VFL/SANFL etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

GreyPower

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2014
PAFC
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Anyone else been watching any of The Winners Rebooted on Foxtel?

They showed 3 games tonight from '82 - Essendon smashed Fitzroy, North Melb v Collingwood, Rixhmond v Hawthorn.

Main interest for me was the middle game - Aber was still at the Roos at that stage... (did he move to Collingwood the following year? Was it a essentially a money decision, anyone know?)....also showed Choco in his prime, including a handy mark in front of goals. Other notable names were Hodgeman at North, Chris Dalkin (who played a season or 2 for Port circa 1986) for Collingwood....plus a young Wes Fellowes, and Michael Taylor in the back pocket.

Carman was playing for North Melbourne, was first time I'd ever seen any significant vision of him.

Glendinning and Schimmelbusch both looked very handy for North.

Mark Dreher for Collingwood, the year after I think, he went to West Adelaide.

Whilst the skills weren't as clean as today, there weren't the negative tactics that have crept in in recent years.

Abba joined Collingwood in 1984 teaming up again with John Cahill and Greg Phillips.

Jack left Collingwood after 1984 and came back to SA to coach West Adelaide. Abba came back to Port in 1987 and won the best and fairest.

Greg Phillips also came back in 1987, Jack came back home to Alberton in 1988 and the rest as they say is history.

Mark Lawson was playing for the Pies at the time. He had a run with us in the mid-80s.

Stephen Copping (Glenelg) might've lined up for the Bombers. He was a regular in his first two years at Windy Hill (1982-83) before falling out of favour with Sheeds. Returned to the Bays mid-84.

Jack enticed a few Collingwood players with him to Westies: David Twomey, Neville Shaw, Derek Shaw, Ronnie Andrews. That was when you had to come from Victoria to get a game with the Bloods.

Love watching old SANFL games from the 80s. Even games we got rolled in. Except the '84 granny...

Mid 80's ...

I'll put my hand up and admit I flipped my s**t when Kernahan snagged 10 in that State of Origin match. Do you reckon they'll show it?

Mid 80's ...

I'll put my hand up and admit I flipped my s**t when Kernahan snagged 10 in that State of Origin match. Do you reckon they'll show it?

F@%k! One of my few regrets. I should've been at that game. Our school under 10s footy team got free tickets. But Mum wouldn't let me go coz it was a school night.

She also wouldn't let me go to Russell Ebert's last game at Footy Park in '85 coz I had Friday off school with the flu... even though I promised to go to school on the Monday.

Bitch.

Looks like Ebert was playing CHB in this game.

Bruce Light looked a gangly type of player. From limited footage, it looks like he struggled a bit at the higher level.

Surprising that reigning Magarey Medallist, Blight, was one of the Reserves.

Marker looked to be a decent player and probably better than I imagined him to be.

Marker looked to be a decent player and probably better than I imagined him to be.

Before my time, but from what I've heard "decent" is underselling him a fair bit!

Didn't a horrific broken leg pretty much end his stellar career?

Bloody good commentator, too...

Anyone else been watching any of The Winners Rebooted on Foxtel?

They showed 3 games tonight from '82 - Essendon smashed Fitzroy, North Melb v Collingwood, Rixhmond v Hawthorn.

Main interest for me was the middle game - Aber was still at the Roos at that stage... (did he move to Collingwood the following year? Was it a essentially a money decision, anyone know?)....also showed Choco in his prime, including a handy mark in front of goals. Other notable names were Hodgeman at North, Chris Dalkin (who played a season or 2 for Port circa 1986) for Collingwood....plus a young Wes Fellowes, and Michael Taylor in the back pocket.

Carman was playing for North Melbourne, was first time I'd ever seen any significant vision of him.

Glendinning and Schimmelbusch both looked very handy for North.

Mark Dreher for Collingwood, the year after I think, he went to West Adelaide.

Whilst the skills weren't as clean as today, there weren't the negative tactics that have crept in in recent years.
I didn't know it had restarted yet

Interesting on Winners rebooted that Gary Pert said Bernie Quinlan was the best player he ever saw play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hello, I apologise if this is the wrong section to post these questions in…

I have a few questions in relation to the history of PAFC as well as SA/AUS football in general. I have friends and family members from overseas who have grown fond of the sport and they often ask questions about Aussie rules, however - I’m not always entirely sure how to answer them… Many are questions that I’ve asked myself and tried to research. I thought I’d ask on these forums, as I wasn’t around during the 70’s, 80’s and I was literally pooping my pants in 1990. Many of you appear to be very knowledgeable regarding PAFC/SANFL/VFL history so any information would be greatly appreciated.

So… A few questions in no particular order (with a some additional thoughts underneath each question). I'm sorry, I realise many of these points have probably been discussed ad nauseam over the years...

A national competition: why did it take so long?

Australia is one of the most developed and sporting mad countries in the world, yet; the competition only became truly national in 1991 (after the ‘The Creation of an Artificial Bird’). Of course, there are some people that would argue that it still isn’t truly national…but that’s a different argument.

Then a linked question to that: Even without a national competition, why did the ‘Championship of Australia’ cease to exist for approximately 54 years, resume for 8 and then stop again? From what I’ve read/been told it wasn’t the highlight of the national football calendar anyway. Why wasn’t there a ‘Champions League’ type competition? There seemed to be enough interest to generate enough money… When we compare the situation to other popular sports around the world, it really was quite odd/unique to Australian rules… 9-12 suburban teams kicking a peculiarly shaped ball was the biggest sport in AUS…yet they rarely left their respective cities? Why?

How elite was the SANFL (especially when compared to the VFL)? When did it stop being elite?

Some Victorians describe it as a ‘feeder’ league, which is extremely condescending. Based on research/data/evidence, the situation could be compared to the European football leagues. Traditionally, the big leagues in Europe have always been (in no particular order): Spain, Italy, England and Germany. The Spanish, Italian and English leagues have at one point or another been described as the best…Teams like Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax, Benfica, Porto and others have proven that you don’t have to be in ‘the best’ league to be THE BEST IN EUROPE/THE WORLD (I realise things are a bit different now and the Bundesliga is pretty awesome, so please think historically).

The Victorian League was historically the best (like the ENG, ITA & SPA leagues); it DOES NOT however mean that the SANFL was some form of reject league like it is now. The German league was rarely considered the best league, nor were the Portuguese or Dutch leagues BUT European Cup/Champions league winning teams have often come from these countries… They may not be as historically good as the ‘historical big 3’ but they’ve all had extremely strong teams... I hope the link I've made is clear enough.

Port Adelaide is SA's oldest and Australia's most successful football club

This is actually quite topical given recent AFL Commission developments officially recognising the above statement – not that we needed any approval, but the club can now ‘officially’ make the above claim across the AFL.

37?

This might be an unpopular opinion… so please don’t hit me.

A Crow fan/*acquaintance (one of the few who aren’t completely insecure/ infatuated with the number 119, tarps or completely delusional) said something along the lines of: “Whilst this news is going to give additional ammunition to Port fans it doesn’t bother me and I accept it as the truth, the only part that bothers me is the Premierships in 98 and 99 definitely shouldn’t count and neither should the premierships POST 1990.. That’s still 30 Premierships – still the best and still something to be proud of”

*He can never be a TRUE friend for obvious reasons.

Now, this is the ‘don’t hit me part’ – I agree with him. Especially 98, 99. The Premierships of the early 90s were extremely important in the context of finally being granted an AFL license but do they still fit the criteria of being the ‘elite’/ top level trophy of the time?

Again, sorry – I know how important the premierships of the early 90s were and I know PAFC got screwed over big time but those SANFL premierships almost seem tainted by the ‘already having an SA team in the AFL stick' when we consider their overall 'status'. If you disagree, please educate me.

Thanks, please feel free to answer any of these questions! Whilst I’m not a baby, I’m also not old enough to remember the 'fighting for AFL entry years' or really any pre AFL stuff (except for the 96GF v Centrals) so your wisdom and knowledge would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back