Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I think Power is one of those players who would receive a lot of recognition if he was playing for a big Melbourne-based club but because he is in Brisbane most of the footy world can forget how good he is.

A quick comment on the last sentence from the article Grim posted and apologies if it is posted in the wrong spot.

It shits me to tears that comment such as above get rolled out so often by Melbourne journo's. I have heard the same thing about so many non-Victorian players from your Dean Kemp's, Matthew Pavlich's, Jude Bolton's, Simon Black's and Luke Power etc etc over the years that it makes me sick. And then you have to put up with inept commentary about certain players from non-Victorian clubs as if they have only played 2 games as opposed to 70+ (re: Joel Patfull etc etc)

With more AFL journo's than players these days, every game televised Australia wide, internet access that allows you to read the Herald Sun or The Age from anywhere in the world, why should a player receive more recognition because he plays for a Melbourne based club. These so-called 'experts', especially the ones who judge the All-Australian teams are so Victoria-centric it is sickening. I reckon most here would have a better handle on opposition teams and more up-to-date with issues in AFL circles than half of these so-called 'expert' who are nothing more than muppets.

In this day and age, comments such as those quoted, should not happen and I am sure if we couldn't see the obvious that these 'experts' can't in our jobs, we wouldn't have them. Most footy pundits read articles on all sorts of teams of players, I know I did/do when living in Melbourne, so I think it is a rubbish excuse with the argument that stories concerning only Melbourne players will sell papers.

Sorry about the rant and feel free to move...we love ya work on and off the field Lukey.:thumbsu:

Re: Luke Power

Darcy has been a blast of fresh air with some of his comments. When i've heard or seen him on panels with other experts, he just seems to be the one more in touch. Whilst i don't agree with all his views, but he is on the money with a lot of what he says about players

Re: Luke Power

Darcy has been a blast of fresh air with some of his comments. When i've heard or seen him on panels with other experts, he just seems to be the one more in touch. Whilst i don't agree with all his views, but he is on the money with a lot of what he says about players

Yep, I'm a big fan. Much more considered and measured in his comments.

If he is biased towards anything, it is ruckmen. We can forgive him for that.

He is still part of the Melbourne set no doubt, but at least in his article about Luke, he recognised the problems that come with their insular world.

Finally saw the footage of the boys singing the team song after the Pies game (thanks whataboutbob! :D).

The boys were clearly stoked for Luke.

Re: Shoddy Journalism

Darcy is alright, but it annoys me how he compares everyone with Bulldogs players, or how he overrates Bulldog's players, like when he said Hudson is the best ruckman below his knees in the AFL. Probably top 5, but no.1? Nah.

Of course, there is a really big downside to the Melbourne media's preoccupation with pumping up Victorian based players and it is one that operates to the detriment of those players and their clubs. I have posted on this before in relation to Collingwood players and I think that no other club has suffered from this media attention more than that club.

Basically what happens is that "good ordinary players" or up and coming players with potential, suddenly find themselves geting media attention, praise and hype that goes beyond what they are actually doing on the field and many get ahead of themselves. Suddenly Leon is "Neon", Dale is "Daisy", the players are selling shampoo and the focus seems to shift away from the football field, to the detriment of players careers and clubs.

I actually think that clubs like Brisbane and Sydney have benefitted and will continue to benefit from the fact that the Melbourne media is at arms length. The pressure and heightened expectations that the media place on emerging players is not so great and as a consequence, both clubs have geater control over the way they choose to develop their talent. In this respect, I really felt sorry for Jack Riewoldt yesterday when I picked up a copy of the Herald Sun in the staffroom (would never buy that horrid rag) and saw the double page spread on Reiwoldt and how he is the "next big thing / future of Richmond etc etc etc." I just can't see any upside for the player or the club coming from that sort of publicity.

I know it can be galling when the Melbourne football media fails to pay the accolades to players like Power, Black, Lappin, Hart, Ashcroft and co, but on balance, I think that we do far better and so do Sydney, with the fact that we can have blokes fly under the radar and focus on their football.

As far as Luke Power goes, we know his true worth as a footballer and a human being. He is a champion player and an ornament to our great game. I don't think we need anyone to tell us that.

Go Lions

Am I the only one who can't stand it when professional journalists can't distinguish between there/their/they're?

Drives me mad that people get paid to write articles when they are unable to use the language properly.

*proof reads post 3 times looking for a mistake so as to not sound hypocritical :p *

Re: Brendan Fevola

With the greatest amount of respect. Do you honestly take Crash Craddock as a respectable journo? This is a guy who's nickname sums up his style and attention to detail. He's all about headlines and stirring up people for reactions.

I don't mind him if I want a laugh, but I've never taken anything he says seriously.

With the greatest amount of respect. Do you honestly take Crash Craddock as a respectable journo? This is a guy who's nickname sums up his style and attention to detail. He's all about headlines and stirring up people for reactions.

I don't mind him if I want a laugh, but I've never taken anything he says seriously.
I don't really rate him as a football expert but I think he is a very perceptive cricket writer and a breath of fresh air when it comes to the sports journalists from his organisation.

Shoddy Journalism at its worse the last 24hrs :thumbsdown: This is about as low as they get :mad:

BTW somebody get a contract out on Hutchinson......the guy has the morals of Hitler

I didn't think Craddock's article was that bad TBH. A tad sensationalist, but he does write for the courier mail.

I vastly preferred Darcy's recent effort on a similar theme though.

Robert Walls is the best footy journalist and media commentator of them all. Walls speaks his mind, is not afraid to say unpopular things and is willing to have egg on his face.

Love Walls!

Robert Walls is the best footy journalist and media commentator of them all. Walls speaks his mind, is not afraid to say unpopular things and is willing to have egg on his face.

Love Walls!

Have to agree with you there. Not many people on BigFooty can stand him, but I've always thought Wallsy was alright.

Just wish he could show some more Brisbane love every now and then. He helped us :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love Walls!

Yeah I like Walls. I think a lot of people don't like him because his commentary (as did his coaching, reputedly) has that tinge of "school teacherness" about it. Mind you, Wallsy was actually a school teacher many years ago too.

"Player X not playing well? Give him 5 minutes in the ruck".

- The entire coaching strategy of Robert Walls.

Everyone pulls this one out. Walls was a sensational coach (and bloke) of the Roys in the 80's and a premiership coach of the filth.

Over time I have gotten a bit stale of his comments but he was a hard bastard and calls it as he sees it.

Some of his early articles in The Age were and still are exceptional. Like the large majority of the footy media they all want to be "edgy" to get noticed and he's either followed or been directed down that path.

"Player X not playing well? Give him 5 minutes in the ruck".

- The entire coaching strategy of Robert Walls.

Is that what he did when he breathed a breath of fresh air into coaching when he was at the healm at Fitzroy, or when he won a flag at Carlton (admittedly with a good team), or got the Bears into their first finals series? :p

I reckon Walls was like the Malthouse of his day.

Just wish he could show some more Brisbane love every now and then. He helped us :D

Did you notice Thursday night, Quarters I think was ribbing him about Carlton, and he said, "I have a foot in both camps... I'm happy whatever the outcome!", and sounded like he meant it. :thumbsu:

Did you notice Thursday night, Quarters I think was ribbing him about Carlton, and he said, "I have a foot in both camps... I'm happy whatever the outcome!", and sounded like he meant it. :thumbsu:

Thats because Wallsy learned a valuable lesson during the Elimination Final :D

Wasn't Wallsy one of the first coaches to invest in "monster rucks" when at Fitzroy?

I don't know about Monster rucks, Rendell was a big gorilla and monster of his day but he could also play forward. Alexander was on his way out when Wallsy took over.

I know he loved hardness. He gave Brett Grimley 3 votes one day at the Junction Oval against Collingwood when Grimmers stats were 2 kicks 3 handballs.

Bernie Quinlan kicked 10 (god love him) and Grimleys job as forward pocket was to get in the way of the full back when superboot led. He did a good job obviously. Grimmers was a big boy himself.

Some of his training sesions were legendary even before the Shane Strempel stuff. Running lap of Albert Park lake in footy boots etc.

I know he loved hardness. He gave Brett Grimley 3 votes one day at the Junction Oval against Collingwood when Grimmers stats were 2 kicks 3 handballs.

Bernie Quinlan kicked 10 (god love him) and Grimleys job as forward pocket was to get in the way of the full back when superboot led. He did a good job obviously.

Must admit I can't recall that game. The only times I saw Bernie kick at least 10 was in 83 against St Kilda when Trevor Barker was fullback & against North in 84 when he kicked 11. He never kicked a big bag against Collingwood because Peter McCormack seemed to have his measure.

I think playing under Wallsy would have been great. You either played well out of love for him or you played well out of spite for him. Either way you played well:D

I think playing under Wallsy would have been great. You either played well out of love for him or you played well out of spite for him. Either way you played well:D

I would have liked to have seen you coached by Wallsy. I reckon he would have gotten into you at every opportunity for getting ahead of yourself and turning up at the start of the season with a ridiculous hair-cut. :thumbsdown:

Me, on the other hand, he would have treated me like Garry Wilson. :thumbsu:

Stocka,

I played my footy cue John and TBD roll of eys:D

HA HA

it is funny my coaches either rated me and made me captain or they were suspicious of me and kept me at arms length!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back