Footy Myths

Remove this Banner Ad

my overriding memory of that day is of texting my brother when Pods went off injured saying this is bad for the Pies. I love the Pods story etc but he was stinking it up that day and when he went it galvanised the Cats, and possibly opened up the forward line and made it less predictable. That's how i remember it and i have no desire to watch a replay to see if that is right!
Yeah, you do recall correctly. He was having one of those 90% days where he'd *almost* clunk a good mark, *almost* get off a good handball, that sort of thing.

It did change the game for the better for us, having Bartel push forward. He and Selwood basically kept us in it in the second quarter.

I've heard a lot on bigfooty (not sure it is an well-held footy opinion) that reiwoldt hasn't performed in finals. It is then used to mark him down as a player. I always found him to be a very solid finals performer, particularly for a key forward. I think his grand finals are weighed too heavily against him and only his last one was actually a poor game. He had ridiculous defensive attention on him and it's his teams fault if they couldn't capitalise on reiwoldt-wired defences and the freedom it gave his other forwards. If you look at his finals resume I believe it measures up quite well to other key forwards.

Cause the AFL was just an continuation and expansion of the VFL. It was never a new competition that was set up.
I'd go as far as to say unless you can point to a point in time after 1925 where less than 80% of the teams that competed the previous year then compete in the subsequent year, then it is hard to term the competition a "new" competition and therefore discount the accomplishments from the "old" competition.

NRL teams count their pre-NRL flags and that was legitimately a marked competition.

Seems the only people with a propensity to sook are interstaters.

OK, clearly you guys need a little help.

Here's a little experiment you can do:

1. Type "no dickheads policy" into Google.

2. Observe how many references to AFL clubs other than the Swans come up in, say, the first ten pages.

Don't bother. I'll tell you.

Zero.

(And here's a couple of pearlers from the first page, FYI:

"Wallabies Can learn from Paul Roos' "No Dickheads policy"

"The All Blacks are so impressed with the Sydney Swans' "no dickheads" policy, they are talking with the AFL club to find out how...")

So, by all means maintain your reassuring prejudice that I am merely a Swans-obsessed nutjob, but you have to now concede that so too is the Google behemoth. (I find that rather gratifying, I must say. Great to have such a powerful supporter on board for the Swans.)

(Feel free to try a different search engine, as we all know that anyone who thinks Google is giving you the full story is sorely deluded. But you'll find much the same result.)

So I've just showed that the phrase "no dickheads policy", as generally understood in AFL terms, is entirely a term relating to the Sydney Swans.

Now, the sequence so far:

Echols makes a post, which in innocent ignorance makes the assumption that the NDP has a relevance outside of the Swans.

I respond with my ten cents' worth, assuming quite reasonably (as I've just shown) that he's referring to the Swans.

In an absolute textbook Freudian slip, his kneejerk response is "what an arrogant post".

When I argue the point, he responds with abuse.

And yet I'm "paranoid and threatened"?

We've all learned something.

You guys have learned something about my club.

And I've learned that there are some people on BF, who (presumably from spending so much time on BF) have such a stereotype in mind that every Sydney Swans supporter is an arrogant tosser, that this stereotype persists even in the face of how things are in the outside (y'know, reality-based) world.

I've apologised to Echols for my cheap play on the word "special".

If he reciprocates, I will accept his apology, and we can all move on.
If only that policy extended to their supporters :p:cool::D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, you do recall correctly. He was having one of those 90% days where he'd *almost* clunk a good mark, *almost* get off a good handball, that sort of thing.

It did change the game for the better for us, having Bartel push forward. He and Selwood basically kept us in it in the second quarter.

Is there a myth that Hawkins will return to greatness if they cn just find the perfect forward to pair up with him?

Some interstate supporters still have trouble understanding the VFL evolved into the AFL
I'm a Victorian and I think it's completely lame. I think the interstate supporters are spot on,who cares for VFL premierships nowadays

Some interstate supporters still have trouble understanding the VFL evolved into the AFL
It didn't even 'evolve' from the VFL to the AFL. It was literally renamed overnight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back