Footy Myths

Remove this Banner Ad

Well when you get the pill 50 times a game you're going to **** up a fair bit more than someone who gets 10. Do you even like football?
It's funny how when someone is getting defensive all logic goes out the window.

I compared Watson and Pendlebury to him who average 3-4 less disposals a game... so no, i'm saying on average he gives away the ball more than some of the other elite mids and it isn't acknowledged.

For the record here was the 1986 WA State of Origin side".

Backs: Brad Hardie Geoff Miles Shane Ellis
Half-backs: Dean Laidley Ross Glendinning Rod Lester-Smith
Centres: Peter Davidson Leon Baker Phil Narkle
Half-forwards: Gary Buckenara Peter Sartori Andrew Macnish
Forwards: Peter Wilson Brian Peake Maurice Rioli
Ruck: Laurie Keene Dwayne Lamb Michael Mitchell
Reserves: Wayne Blackwell, Paul Harding, Colin Waterson, Mark Bairstow

Only Laurie Keene, Dwayne Lamb, Phil Narkle, Geoff Miles, Shane Ellis, Dean Laidley, Andrew MacNish and Ross Glendenning were drafted by the Eagles in 1987. So we drafted a state side you say?

http://www.eaglesflyinghigh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=439307

The Eagles team owed more to winning under-17 Teal Cup side from 1985; Chris Lewis, Peter Sumich, Scott Watters, Guy McKenna, Paul Peos, John Worsfold and Chris Waterman and the 1986 team. Don Pyke, Craig Turley.

Yep, and the reason we loaded up on WA youth isn't because we were smarter then everyone else, but because of the of the entry conditions imposed by the VFL.

One set of rules for them, one set of rules for us. Thanks, VFL. Turned out great.:D:thumbsu:

It's funny how when someone is getting defensive all logic goes out the window.

I compared Watson and Pendlebury to him who average 3-4 less disposals a game... so no, i'm saying on average he gives away the ball more than some of the other elite mids and it isn't acknowledged.

Why would I get defensive? I've got no vested interest in this, I'm just pointing out that you haven't much idea in identifying the abilities of possibly the greatest player we've seen, and even a bloke from Iceland who has never seen our game before would have more idea than you.

Why would I get defensive? I've got no vested interest in this, I'm just pointing out that you haven't much idea in identifying the abilities of possibly the greatest player we've seen, and even a bloke from Iceland who has never seen our game before would have more idea than you.
Really? Because having a go at me rather than actually debating the point, well thats what i call defensive.

Do you think that Ablett is an elite ball user?

Joel Bowden was one of the more unaccountable, soft HBF I've ever seen. If I played his role I'd get 20 touches a game myself.

As for Ablett Jnr, he is often double teamed yet his disposal is still elite imo

Ease up mate.

Players like Watson and Pendlebury also get tagged every week, and it is undeniable that they are better ball users than Ablett.

I'm not saying he is shocking i'm saying that he is not one of the better users of the ball, even when uncontested.

It's a fact that he makes multiple mistakes a game, and it's a fact that the commentators won't acknoweledge it. Thats what annoys me.

Agree with Pendlebury and that there is allot of players who are better kicks than Ablett but not Watson.

When a game is being reviewed they always say Ablett had 40 disposals rather than Ablett had 22 effective disposals and 7 clangers, drives me insane.

Never going to change as it's just easier to reel off round numbers but it's unfortunate that players like Sam Mitchell, Jobe Watson and Scott Pendlebury still get seen for there disposal numbers and don't get appreciated for their better efficiency in comparison to other high possesion mids.

This often happens with Ablett, it almost becomes a drinking game amongst the commentators when a player gets towards 40 or more possessions, as though numbers alone are significant outside of Dream Team.

Really? Because having a go at me rather than actually debating the point, well thats what i call defensive.

Yes I do think he's an elite ball user, in fact I think about the only thing about his game that isn't elite is his tap ruck work.

Myth: Richmond have finished 9th the most
Busted: Since 9th position came into the AFL in 1919, Richmond have finished 9th just eight times. Below is a list of all clubs ranked by how many times they have finished 9th...

1. St Kilda (13 times)
2. North Melbourne (12 times)
3. South Melbourne/Sydney & Geelong (10 times)
4. Footscray/Western Bulldogs (9 times)
5. Richmond & Fitzroy/Brisbane & Hawthorn (8 times)
6. Melbourne (7 times)
7. Essendon (5 times)
8. Collingwood & Adelaide (2 times)
9. Port Adelaide & West Coast & Fremantle & Carlton (1 time)
10. GWS & Gold Coast (0 times)

So there you have it folks, the whole 'Ninthmond' is just one big fat massive lie and now you all look stupid. As of today, I officially welcome to BigFooty; Ninth Kilda
Ignoring the fact that finishing ninth had no relevance before 1994, of course...

If he had said KPF, I would nominate West Coast circa 2005. Surely he doesn't mean the entire spine.
2006*

But I might point out that 2006 was a very, very even year and even then the Q-Stick kicked 60. Our beloved Big Hairy Cat was also not a gun KPF, but was a very good player all the same. However, it is rare to take home a flag without one - the last team before WCE to do it, arguably, was Adelaide and they weren't exactly the best team in it at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone who saw him week in week out until he moved to the Gold Coast - his kicking in play is elite in terms of accuracy and control, not distance. His vision with handball isn't as elite, partially because he's able to use his agility to get out of tight situations.

Seriously? Since the introduction of the McIntyre Final Eight system in 1994, Richmond have finished 9th six times, or once every 3.33 years. The Ninthmond moniker exists because 9th is the position that one has to place to just miss finals. Since the introduction of the final 8 system, Richmond has held that position more than any other club if I am correct.
Quoted to bump.

Shocking, you actually made a point rather than having a go at me.

But yeah I strongly disagree, lets just leave it at that.

It's a lot easier hitting targets with lead-up forwards like Cloke than kicking it to teenagers and 21 yr olds with no shoulders. Ablett is regularly double teamed as well.

Ablett's a better kick than Watson. Have a look at some of Junior's goals if you think he's not in the elite kicking group.

The "no dickhead" policy.

When you have clubs full of 20 yr olds, it's simply impossible.

Every club has dickheads and they are tolerated as long as they can play football.
To actually bust a myth, you need to table facts, not just opinion. Precisely what form does your inside knowledge of the Sydney Swans take?

To actually bust a myth, you need to table facts, not just opinion. Precisely what form does your inside knowledge of the Sydney Swans take?
What an insular post. There's more clubs in the comp than just Sydney.

You can carry on believing that there's such thing as a no dickhead policy if you like, but the very guy who coined the term has even stated it was an off the cuff comment not really based on any set policy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back