Footy Tragic's Top 50 Power Rankings (Progressive)

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you willing/capable of sharing vo2 results? Or is it not available to the public?

If I think it's important/relevant I'll put it in my profiles. Also sometimes I'll reference 'conditioning' which has to do with skinfolds.

KP - on another forum I commented that you had NFI when I heard you had Aish at 12 and Crouch at 50. I apologise for that - having see your extensive work, you've done a great job. But Crouch at 50!!!

KP - on another forum I commented that you had NFI when I heard you had Aish at 12 and Crouch at 50. I apologise for that - having see your extensive work, you've done a great job. But Crouch at 50!!!

haha it's all good mate. I never expect this to be all roses and I welcome other opinions because after all mine is just that.

I'm waiting with interest as to why you rate Wilson and Dumont so highly.

Great read kp.
What are your thoughts on James Sicily? How far outside the 50 was he?

Great read kp.
What are your thoughts on James Sicily? How far outside the 50 was he?

Was literally #51.

Endurance worries me but his speed is electrifying. I don't mind him. Could be one I regret not including.

When was it? Also have to take into account the conditions. It could've been a stinker of a day.

Not making excuses because I knew he wasn't great but there's a range of factors.

There is a range of potential excuses, but you'd have to adjust all the kids that day appropriately. I haven't heard numbers that low for the rest, so I assume they were par for the course or maybe a little low at worst, as opposed to really low.

Zach Merrett updated.

Very good job KP. I find your insight interesting as you place some importance in your opinions on the ability of a player to transit from junior football to AFL. As a criteria for selecting a player the ability of a young player to be as effective in the AFL as he was as a junior is often pushed aside by posters here as few of us actually see these kids. When we do it is often highlights, which by its nature will be only the good things.

For example, you have Matt Crouch at pick 50 explaining he gets the ball a lot but turns it over. A recruiter will see this flaw and may ask. Will he be worse at AFL level? Can this be fixed and if so how long will it take? Most if not all players have flaws. A recruiter must consider whether these flaws are fatal, serious but fixable, or minor.

Again well done. A different view from the pack mentality.

regards FFS

Dwayne Wilson and Jay Kennedy-Harris updated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate out of interest how far up the pecking order are you to get all of these combine results ? Would be super interesting if they released them like the NFL....

Mate out of interest how far up the pecking order are you to get all of these combine results ? Would be super interesting if they released them like the NFL....

I don't work for a club or anything if that's what you mean. Getting my hands on them is a bit hard though.

I would love to post every detail about the Combine but I'd probably get shot down by the firing squad.

Mate, I whinge every day about how little the public get in regards to these things and I feel like I'm being made out to be the villain. The responses I get seem to be like 'you're never happy'. Well no, not when I know that these stats get recorded. To be honest I'd happily pay a fee each year to subscribe to Champion Data's database if that's what it really takes but I shouldn't have to.

It goes from game day stats, to vision, to bloody everything. We are so far behind American sports it isn't funny. Anyone that follows the NBA would see the new advanced stats that are available through SportVu. NBA fans get these new stats FOR FREE on the NBA website. It will revelutionise basketball analysis.

We have to buy the Prospectus every year after the season has finished. What good is that? Otherwise we have to tune in to Fox Footy and listen to David King (who I don't mind), or just read articles from journos who wouldn't know the first thing about what to do with these stats.

I don't care what anyone says (Jay Clark had a dig at me yesterday), the draft coverage is horrible. It's improved and I like the articles that Twomey, Clark, Landsberger and Quayle are pumping out but I don't think we learn much about the player. People should be able to judge for themselves who they like/want to draft by looking at vision that isn't flawed like a three minute highlight reel. There's an attitude out there that everyone is a 'future star' but come on, let's face reality guys. There's plenty of room for fairy floss but there's also a lot of room for hard-hitting analysis and that's where there is a massive hole. A highlight package does not suffice. There is vision at every game now. It's out there, but it's hidden. Why?

Instead of giving people the resources to form their own opinion and generate more discussion, we're recycling opinions based on three minute highlight reels and then wondering why player x slips or 'who the hell is this player that my club picked in the first round'.

There is so much to learn about our game that no one knows about unless you buy the Prospectus or collate your own data. It's a bloody shame.

Anyway, as you can probably tell, I can ramble, sorry about that mate, you only asked a question. Probably got more than you bargained for.

I don't work for a club or anything if that's what you mean. Getting my hands on them is a bit hard though.

I would love to post every detail about the Combine but I'd probably get shot down by the firing squad.

Anyway, as you can probably tell, I can ramble, sorry about that mate, you only asked a question. Probably got more than you bargained for.

I didn't want to quote the whole thing - that is the perfect answer. No need to stress, my thoughts mirror yours. I am keen to learn more about this stuff...I just can't, bar going to games myself (tad difficult). I can understand why the footage isn't easily accessible (for now) - mainly due to the effort factor of collating it all and the heavy traffic it would create on the AFL website. However, all the stats you mention I cannot understand why that isn't available. Surely at worst it could be a pdf downloadable from the website with all of the potential draftee's stats. I mean, that's an excel spread sheet.... It would take a bloke doing data entry maybe a week tops to do it.

*fist shaking*

The Roos were looking at Eddie Betts so they've obviously identified a list need where Lindsay Thomas could use some help.

I did their depth chart a few weeks ago and that is one area where they are lacking. North have got great depth in lots of areas of the ground so there are really no pressing list needs and I think they'll just go with best available.

kp do you actually post the depth charts anywhere for perusal mate?

kp do you actually post the depth charts anywhere for perusal mate?

I just post them on Twitter but they're mainly used for when I do list analysis' around January and February.

Not sure if I'll be doing them next year (18 quite large articles, not sure if I'll have the time) but I keep the depth charts handy anyway because they're useful so I'm happy to post them somewhere after the draft.

I just post them on Twitter but they're mainly used for when I do list analysis' around January and February.

Not sure if I'll be doing them next year (18 quite large articles, not sure if I'll have the time) but I keep the depth charts handy anyway because they're useful so I'm happy to post them somewhere after the draft.

I for one would love to read what you have about all clubs lists kp. I think your rankings are very well presented thanks for sharing with us.

Great write up on Wilson - possibly my favourite player in this draft. A cousin of danyl pearce. SA's under 18 coach told the advertiser that "Wilson is the most skilful player in the side". Obviously there are issues with his effort but that will come.
Love seeing Dumont so high.

I’ve found Freeman hard to assess. I feel like I’m missing out on something big here but every time I go back I think, ‘hey he plays just like Matt White’. While that’s not a bad thing, I’m not sure I’d be spending a big pick on him. Freeman has the athletic ability to be a machine of a midfielder, but in my opinion he hasn’t shown it yet. This will sound like a really harsh assessment but it’s really not. I just would’ve liked to have seen more, and I don’t think that’s too much to ask for from a touted top ten pick.

It's simply paying for what could be, rather than what is.
On paper the attributes are there, and I think some clubs feel with the proper direction he will be doing the things he could be doing to generate contested ball.
The strong possibility that he could go above Salem or Sheed is bizarre though.

It's simply paying for what could be, rather than what is.
On paper the attributes are there, and I think some clubs feel with the proper direction he will be doing the things he could be doing to generate contested ball.
The strong possibility that he could go above Salem or Sheed is bizarre though.

I don't think it's that bizarre, Freeman has a very similar game to what Shuey had when he was drafted - including inconsistent footskills.

He's a high damage midfielder, and he hasn't had the AIS and Metro development for two years like a lot of other players.

As for the queries on his goal kicking ability, he just had a bad year in front of the sticks - still generated a fair few chances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back