malteaser

All Australian
Sep 9, 2006
Geelong, Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham, Man U, 49'ers
Hi pie fans let me start of with my opinion. I see this issue is based on values and ethics and I have been one of those who for years has sat back and watched whilst traveling around the world and witnessed other communities suffer because of a zillion reasons. However enough is enough and thanks to #sosblakaustralia and others who have passionately spoken on this issue they are calling on people (2 million) have responded from all over the world to promote the cause. I have started down here (surf coast) knowing that Bells starts and FOX is broadcasting the event and I have had people talk to me about not knowing about it and hopefully some of us will be able to get the big business of surfing to listen. I implore you to get onto fB, twitter, use chalk on your car or whatever means it takes to let people know, as the mass media like usual don't know how to report it (ABC a little). This is my 2 mins of fame and hopefully others will also create their own message. Oh by the way they have turned the water and electricity of and this week the army moves in.

Hi Malteaser, I noticed the indigenous boys at Hawthorn posted an instagram pic of them with a similar message.

Can you tell us a bit more about this as I have to say I don't really know anything about what closing down aboriginal communities means. I tend not to watch the news anymore as I usually want to put my foot through the tele.

Hi Malteaser, I noticed the indigenous boys at Hawthorn posted an instagram pic of them with a similar message.

Can you tell us a bit more about this as I have to say I don't really know anything about what closing down aboriginal communities means. I tend not to watch the news anymore as I usually want to put my foot through the tele.
Testify brother!

Hi pie fans let me start of with my opinion. I see this issue is based on values and ethics and I have been one of those who for years has sat back and watched whilst traveling around the world and witnessed other communities suffer because of a zillion reasons. However enough is enough and thanks to #sosblakaustralia and others who have passionately spoken on this issue they are calling on people (2 million) have responded from all over the world to promote the cause. I have started down here (surf coast) knowing that Bells starts and FOX is broadcasting the event and I have had people talk to me about not knowing about it and hopefully some of us will be able to get the big business of surfing to listen. I implore you to get onto fB, twitter, use chalk on your car or whatever means it takes to let people know, as the mass media like usual don't know how to report it (ABC a little). This is my 2 mins of fame and hopefully others will also create their own message. Oh by the way they have turned the water and electricity of and this week the army moves in.

Can you put a bit more information about the subject in the OP.

I don't really understand what the forced removal is or why it's happening.

Can you put a bit more information about the subject in the OP.

I don't really understand what the forced removal is or why it's happening.

It is to do with governments trying to save money. The rationale is that Aboriginal people in remote communities can be removed from their traditional lands on the basis that it is not economically sustainable for them to remain. It is yet another example of the systematic abuse of Aboriginal people that has been taking place in this country for over 200 years.

It is to do with governments trying to save money. The rationale is that Aboriginal people in remote communities can be removed from their traditional lands on the basis that it is not economically sustainable for them to remain. It is yet another example of the systematic abuse of Aboriginal people that has been taking place in this country for over 200 years.

Are they forcibly removing people or cutting funding to them?

Are they forcibly removing people or cutting funding to them?

If the government remove vital community services it amounts to the same thing. People cannot live 'off grid' in remote communities anymore.

If the government remove vital community services it amounts to the same thing. People cannot live 'off grid' in remote communities anymore.

I'd like to see what the policy is specifically.

I've heard the government wants to control people's spending when it comes from govt - and it sounds like it's aimed at aboriginal people - but would also have more general application. I don't really like the idea of the govt deciding how people spend their money, morevoer I don't know what knock-on effects it has.

Applying a moral law to spending is fraught with dangers. If the idea is to direct behaviour through purse strings, what comes out of it? A change in behaviour, an increase in crime, cheap alternatives?

There are some areas in Australia so economically depressed that the situation is almost beyond redemption, and probably beyond moral and economic hectoring.

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/11700291601/Cunnamulla

I'd like to see what the policy is specifically.

I've heard the government wants to control people's spending when it comes from govt - and it sounds like it's aimed at aboriginal people - but would also have more general application. I don't really like the idea of the govt deciding how people spend their money, morevoer I don't know what knock-on effects it has.

Applying a moral law to spending is fraught with dangers. If the idea is to direct behaviour through purse strings, what comes out of it? A change in behaviour, an increase in crime, cheap alternatives?

There are some areas in Australia so economically depressed that the situation is almost beyond redemption, and probably beyond moral and economic hectoring.

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/11700291601/Cunnamulla

Stopping people from pissing their tax payer handouts on booze drugs cigarettes and gambling is a brilliant idea.

If they want to work they can spend their own money on whatever they like.

Stopping people from pissing their tax payer handouts on booze drugs cigarettes and gambling is a brilliant idea.

It is about the WA government closing remote communities on the economic rationale that they are unsustainable. It has nothing to do with "handouts" or substance abuse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So should we direct any people receiving govt income, like pensioners, on how they spend their money?

It is about the WA government closing remote communities on the economic rationale that they are unsustainable. It has nothing to do with "handouts" or substance abuse.

Yes that comment was about what Old Spice brought up.

The government isn't an endless pit of money, if things are unsustainable they have to eventually end

So should we direct any people receiving govt income, like pensioners, on how they spend their money?

It need only to be applied to high risk individuals who have a history of drug/alcohol/gambling addictions, not a complete sweep of everyone who gets money from the Government, let's not be ridiculous.

Yes that comment was about what Old Spice brought up.

The government isn't an endless pit of money, if things are unsustainable they have to eventually end

Perhaps our government need to change their perspective? A growing number of people seem to think so...

Perhaps our government need to change their perspective? A growing number of people seem to think so...

A new government won't make unsustainable things magically sustainable. If you live in the middle of no where it's reasonable to assume the government will be limited in what they can provide you.

It need only to be applied to high risk individuals who have a history of drug/alcohol/gambling addictions, not a complete sweep of everyone who gets money from the Government, let's not be ridiculous.

So you're saying it's targeted? Can you give me a link if that's the case. I'm assuming it isn't but I may be wrong.

In any case, what do you think might happen if the govt hands out food vouchers while someone has dependency issues?

A new government won't make unsustainable things magically sustainable. If you live in the middle of no where it's reasonable to assume the government will be limited in what they can provide you.

Have you heard of stamp prices, phone prices, roads etc? Rural Australia is subsidised to pussy's bow. The natural cost of transportation to the outskirts is absolutely subsidised as are so many things.

That's the cost of living in a thing called society.

The government seems happy to waste billions of dollars in detaining refugees in other countries though.

Dealing with refugees is going to be very expensive whatever you do, you can argue if it's ethical but the money is needed.

Processing them in a timely manner within the infrastructure that exists within Australia would save billions. The government made it a political issue - "stop the boats". Do you have any idea how many people arrive by plane and over stay their visa?

Dealing with refugees is going to be very expensive whatever you do, you can argue if it's ethical but the money is needed.

It's not as though every country bears the same cost for housing refugees or pursues the same program. While I'm loathe to quote Madonna (except her first album) she was right when she said Italians do it better.

Our refugee intake isn't a pinch off s**t compared to Europe, but the Italians manage it well.

A very narrow view of a multi-layered issue. There's no evidence that moving people from remote townships will save money and many believe that the influx into larger townships would result in extreme squalor with related social costs. Not to mention the loss of Native Title and continued dispossession of aboriginals. It fails to consider thousands of years of traditional connection to land, importance of culture and the health and wellbeing it brings.

FFS in a country as prosperous as Australia, we should be doing everything to "close the gap", between the health status of the general population and that of aboriginal people (whose health statistics reflect poorly compared to those in 3rd world countries).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back