Forget De Goey, Crisp > Beams

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont think anyone is arguing that Beams is definitely better than each of the 3 players we ended up getting for him.

Hold on that till you see him getting the oppo's best tagger every week. but he's looking more dynamic and dominant every week.
The missile-like goals from outside 50 are an incredible asset if he can keep it up (oppos will work on it) - that's a pretty rare quality and definitely tends to panic the opposition.

Top 3 I would think.

What a pick up he's been. Is such an all round player. Really enjoy watching him play.

Interesting in a week in which we lost Phil Walsh that we should have a kid having a stellar first year (at the Pies), one that could potentially rival Walsh's 83 season.

DeGoey is very exciting. He is strong, skilful and plays hard. I don't think ee could have picked a better player at 5.

As for Crisp, he has really provided great overall balance to the team. The height and speed in the midfield is just what we were lacking. And to think he has only played a handful of games!

But what has really made the difference in my mind is Adams. He has taken over from ball and beams. He gets the hard ball and never stops. Disposal needs some polishing, but I think having him and crisp in there covers a lot of issues we had last year. And don't forget Varcoe. The polish

DeGoey is very exciting. He is strong, skilful and plays hard. I don't think ee could have picked a better player at 5.

As for Crisp, he has really provided great overall balance to the team. The height and speed in the midfield is just what we were lacking. And to think he has only played a handful of games!

But what has really made the difference in my mind is Adams. He has taken over from ball and beams. He gets the hard ball and never stops. Disposal needs some polishing, but I think having him and crisp in there covers a lot of issues we had last year. And don't forget Varcoe. The polish

Adams ball use has improved and is keeps Imporving

I like Crisp but better than Beams? Yea nah!

Beams is one of the top few mids in the comp and would probably be AA if the team was picked right now, despite the fact that he just joined a new club. Crisp isn't close to that level.

Beams, in my opinion, has had a better year than any one of our players and Crisp, despite having a good season, hasn't been nearly our best player. The two aren't even comparable.
Lol, Pendlebury>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Beams

If you're not with us, you're against us. Thanks for the memories Dayne, but you leaving could yet be the best thing you did for the club.
Sure is.
I bet he's not missing the Melbourne ice - I mean cold weather though.

I like Crisp but better than Beams? Yea nah!

Beams is one of the top few mids in the comp and would probably be AA if the team was picked right now, despite the fact that he just joined a new club. Crisp isn't close to that level.

Beams, in my opinion, has had a better year than any one of our players and Crisp, despite having a good season, hasn't been nearly our best player. The two aren't even comparable.

I agree minus the fact, as previously pointed out, Pendlebury has been better this season. People are definitely underselling Beams here a bit though :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone checked in on the lions to see how they are liking beams? or perhaps if they are hurting over crisp, seeing him kick as much ass as the man does.

Has anyone checked in on the lions to see how they are liking beams? or perhaps if they are hurting over crisp, seeing him kick as much ass as the man does.

Crisp averaged 6 games a year doubt thy are missing him. Beams will win their best and fairest by a mile.

Crisp averaged 6 games a year doubt thy are missing him. Beams will win their best and fairest by a mile.
Beams winning their b&f doesn't say a lot....other than they are a very ordinary team playing very ordinary footy. It is not as if he is making the players around him any better than last yr. They got their man who will touch the footy 30 times a game. We got the players that have improved our team and given us a realistic opportunity to contend for a premiership in the next couple of years.

Fact is the Lions are out to limit the damage each week. We are building a team to be a contender. So based on that it is a win/win for both clubs (although lions need to work harder).

He would be running a very close second in ours too
Yes, based upon the same team last year. I just wonder where we would be sitting today if we still had beams and not picked up crisp, degoey and greenwood. You would think greenwood will have an impact. Geez, north look a different team without him.

Here we are.. Crisp for me any day of the week!! What stands out most for me in Bold. In my opinion he only needs to work on clearances and he has beams covered. 92 more games experience for beams. Crisp has a larger frame and his defensive game is much better than beams.

Dayne Beams Name Jack Crisp
Brisbane Lions Team Collingwood Magpies
123 Career Games 31
25yr 4mth Age 21yr 9mth
186cm Height 190cm
85kg Weight 89kg
14.7 Kicks Per Game 13.1
14.3 Handballs Per Game 8.5
29.0 Disposals Per Game 21.5
4.8 Marks Per Game 3.7
0.6 Goals Per Game 0.9
0.7 Behinds Per Game 0.5
4.3 Tackles Per Game 5.4
0 Hitouts Per Game 0.2
4.8 Inside 50s Per Game 4.5
0.3 Goal Assists Per Game 0.4
13.5 Contested Possessions Per Game 9.2
14.8 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 13.0
20.2 Effective Disposals Per Game 15.0
69.7% Effective Disposals % Per Game 69.8%
3.2 Clangers Per Game 2.8
0.2 Contested Marks Per Game 0.3
0.5 Marks Inside 50 Per Game 0.6
6.8 Clearances Per Game 4.4
1.8 Rebound 50s Per Game 1.2
1.3 One Percenters Per Game 1.6
84.5 Time On Ground % Per Game 84.3

I agree.

IMO Beams despite being a genuine A grader did not really need a direct replacement when you consider the offensive output we can get from Pendles, Sidey, Swan etc, but losing Luke Ball (and not really having him fit for a while) was a big blow to the balance and structure of the team. Adams has really stepped up to fill that void this year and together with the mobility and defensive work rate of Crisp we've been able to rediscover some of that energy and defensive accountability we got from Ball and Daisy during 2010-12.

This has made us a much more balanced team and despite Beams' great form for Brisbane I really don't think our midfield would be anywhere near as good with him in it, it was hard to lose him but considering how this has changed us I think it was ultimately for the best.

Crispy the centre clearance king :thumbsu:

vifdMhq.jpg

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-08/the-men-in-the-middle-who-are-your-clubs-centre-square-stars

Here we are.. Crisp for me any day of the week!! What stands out most for me in Bold. In my opinion he only needs to work on clearances and he has beams covered. 92 more games experience for beams. Crisp has a larger frame and his defensive game is much better than beams.

Dayne Beams Name Jack Crisp
Brisbane Lions Team Collingwood Magpies
123 Career Games 31
25yr 4mth Age 21yr 9mth
186cm Height 190cm
85kg Weight 89kg
14.7 Kicks Per Game 13.1
14.3 Handballs Per Game 8.5
29.0 Disposals Per Game 21.5
4.8 Marks Per Game 3.7
0.6 Goals Per Game 0.9
0.7 Behinds Per Game 0.5
4.3 Tackles Per Game 5.4
0 Hitouts Per Game 0.2
4.8 Inside 50s Per Game 4.5
0.3 Goal Assists Per Game 0.4
13.5 Contested Possessions Per Game 9.2
14.8 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 13.0
20.2 Effective Disposals Per Game 15.0
69.7% Effective Disposals % Per Game 69.8%
3.2 Clangers Per Game 2.8
0.2 Contested Marks Per Game 0.3
0.5 Marks Inside 50 Per Game 0.6
6.8 Clearances Per Game 4.4
1.8 Rebound 50s Per Game 1.2
1.3 One Percenters Per Game 1.6
84.5 Time On Ground % Per Game 84.3

Beams gets the number one tagger nearly every week and beats (in fact, demolishes) just about all of them. He is an out and out star. Crisp hasn't had that kind of attention in his career yet on your numbers his performances are still leagues behind.

Let's get serous. Crisp has been good for us but is nowhere even close to Beams, who has long been an elite player of the competition. Whether Beams on his own stacks up against the three we got in return is a different conversation altogether with. Long term he probably doesn't. This season he easily does.

Thing that stood out to me is that Pendles is in there the most but is behind both Swan and Crisp for clearances. Whereas, for example, Beams is in there the most for Brisbane AND has the most centre clearances.
Crisp is currently ranked 55th in the comp based on the AFL stats. Beams 6th, Pendles 7th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beams is a very good player surrounded by not much this year. He'll likely maintain very high stats in a very poor team for the rest of his career.

I certainly don't miss his super high bombs into the top of the 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back