Forgetting your own coach, who are the best three coaches in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hinkley, Longmire, Clarkson

I love seeing Hinkley's name in a list but I would like to see how he goes over the next 3 years or so to see if his coaching can evolve as the players mature.

But my god..........what a first year and what a turn around!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No room for Clarkson?
Close but no cigar. Doesn't strike me as the reason for the Hawks success, rather, a contributor too it (a bit like Chris Scott - flag coach, not in my top lot). Guys I listed are doing the job of being a coach incredibly well, Clarko also doing it very well but not to the same degree. Personal opinion, sue me.

Close but no cigar. Doesn't strike me as the reason for the Hawks success, rather, a contributor too it (a bit like Chris Scott - flag coach, not in my top lot). Guys I listed are doing the job of being a coach incredibly well, Clarko also doing it very well but not to the same degree. Personal opinion, sue me.
You do know how bad we were in '04 yeah? He is the main reason why we are so good right now after being putrid in 04

I was in primary school in '04 so no, not really, regardless, I don't think you're getting the distinction of "current form".
You mean the current form of reigning premiership coach, made the last two grand finals and is 3-0 to start the season, demolishing your highest rated coach Ross Lyon with 7 of our starting 22 out? If that's bad form i'd hate to see some good form

You mean the current form of reigning premiership coach, made the last two grand finals and is 3-0 to start the season, demolishing your highest rated coach Ross Lyon with 7 of our starting 22 out? If that's bad form i'd hate to see some good form

Your lads coasted against the Lions and an undermanned Dockers and looked vulnerable against the Dons.

It's an opinion thread mate, if we were judging it by acheivements and stats it'd be one post long. My opinion is that Clarko is not in the top 3 coaches in the league. I've got nothing against him - former North player, great coach. But I've picked who I've picked.

Your lads coasted against the Lions and an undermanned Dockers and looked vulnerable against the Dons.

It's an opinion thread mate, if we were judging it by acheivements and stats it'd be one post long. My opinion is that Clarko is not in the top 3 coaches in the league. I've got nothing against him - former North player, great coach. But I've picked who I've picked.
I'm not having a go mate, just can't understand why you wouldn't think he was in the top 3 coaches currently. The dockers had 4 of their best 22 out, we had 7. We were just as, if not more undermanned than they were. As for coasting to a win against Brisbane we still won by 48, beat the runenrs up from last season convincingly and also beat an Essendon team who many think will feature pretty strongly towards the end of the year. What would Clarkson have to do to be named in your top 3?

I would not have Bomber Thompson in the top 20 coaches in the AFL.

images

I'm not having a go mate, just can't understand why you wouldn't think he was in the top 3 coaches currently. The dockers had 4 of their best 22 out, we had 7. We were just as, if not more undermanned than they were. As for coasting to a win against Brisbane we still won by 48, beat the runenrs up from last season convincingly and also beat an Essendon team who many think will feature pretty strongly towards the end of the year. What would Clarkson have to do to be named in your top 3?

Maybe the trick with being a good coach is to it make look like it's all the players doing.
Clarkson is on fire and at the moment and is at the top of his game.

In no particular order..

1. Ross Lyon
His style of football can be considered disgusting and although he hasn't won a grand final, there's a reason he's taken teams ridiculously close.
2. Chris Scott
Underrated, doing a great job of turning over the older players and blooding the newbies. If he continues this way, Geelong will continue to stay in the eight.
3. Alastair Clarkson
Taken Hawthorn to 2 premierships, absolutely dominated other teams at times and looks to be on track this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back