Forgotten Shield players from the 90's

Remove this Banner Ad

Trent Johnston (NSW) - one of our greatest ever for Ireland.

I have to take my hat off to western royboy for coming up with Bret Mulder. He was a coach over in Denmark and then came to the Northern Cricket Union to coach CIYMS who for football fans are a bit like the local Man City. His son also came over - Jacob - a young leg break bowler who could turn the ball a long way and aims to qualify for Ireland. Both are stand up guys and it's a shame that Bret won't be coming back this summer.

Sure he has been mentioned, played in the 80's as well but

Jamie Siddons; has to be one the the best ever shield players never to get a baggy green.

Sure he has been mentioned, played in the 80's as well but

Jamie Siddons; has to be one the the best ever shield players never to get a baggy green.
Siddons got crook on a tour of Pakistan (seriously crook) and given there was nothing of him to start with it really knocked him around. In about 1988/89 when XXXX where sponsoring the national team there were some country cup games scheduled around the various regions featuring players from your zone mixed in with state players of the time. Siddons came down to Reid Oval in Warrnambool for one of these games and took some clinics, naturally his approach was very simple. I was surprised at how small he was. His team batted first and he posted about 60 or 70 from memory including a straight six through the goals, which to this day is the biggest six I've seen at the ground. The changeover featured a throwing contest and all the Adonis's from around the leagues came down to show their prowess. Siddons wandered out all 65kg of him and beat them all by 20 metres! A genuine freak, cruelled by circumstances and a very strong era.

Reading Siddons' profile on CricInfo and it says it took him about a year to recover from the stomach bug he got in Pakistan. I had heard that he got sick on a tour but never realised it took so much out of him. Also didn't realise he was 173cm's and 66kg's. That is tiny.

Reading Siddons' profile on CricInfo and it says it took him about a year to recover from the stomach bug he got in Pakistan. I had heard that he got sick on a tour but never realised it took so much out of him. Also didn't realise he was 173cm's and 66kg's. That is tiny.

The two are probably connected.

Pretty amazing that he played for the Sydney Swans at that size, too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has Mark Lavender been mentioned? Enjoyed watching him play.

There was also a guy called Thistle who played a couple of matches for WA. He bowled to me in the nets at Bayswater-Morley when I was about 18 and broke my finger. Easily the fastest bowler I personally ever faced.

western-warriors-mark-lavender-67-futera-world-cup-cricket-1996-collectable-trading-card-29645-p.jpg

Very obscure get. Got a 200 in a first grade one day match playing for North Sydney.

A couple of Eastern Suburbs boys that got a handful of games - Mark Patterson and Darren Kingdon

Both played in Easts 90/91 premiership team which included Malcolm Marshall as an import for the last half a dozen games of the season. When I saw how much these two struggled in first class cricket it was when I realised how hard it is at that level.

Can't remember if it was western royboy or Wallaby who got to play against Marshall, but this great article popped up on cricinfo recently:

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/911765/when-maco-came-to-town

Not a player as such, but I remember watching a Mercantile Mutual Cup game when the Aussies weren't playing and Berry kept up to the stumps to Paul Reiffel who was opening for Australia at the time.

How I lament that quality glovemen are a thing of the past and we go for bit part keepers who can bat these days.

Simon Dart and Nick Jewell are making runs for fun in the MPCA the last 3 seasons.

Dart would b one of the most selfish bats the Peninsula has seen. Witnessed a flawless 120 not out despite bowling Red Hill out for 220 and shoving it in there face having been called "park cricketers".

Went looking for Dart and Jewell in the MPCA website and had a look at some records: http://www.mpca.asn.au/seniors/senior-partnership-records/ I dud chuckle at the 208 that Colin Bowes & Alan Lillico put on. Lillico was very much the support in that partnership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back