Former Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw an interesting article the other day about former AFL players in the Essendon District League.

One name that stood out : Barry Brooks.

Currently playing for Craigieburn with Fatty Whitnall, Angleo Lekkas, and Evangelos (Ang) Christou.

Fair to say he has not been shredding them at that level despite being what should be his prime at 26yo.

Plenty of good players run around in that league.

Greenvale have Scott Lucas, Jason Johnson, Stephen Paxman are are coached by Steve MacPherson.

Keilor are coached by Mick McGuane.

Doutta Stars coached by John Barnes.

Maribyrnong Park have Brodie Holland and Steve McKee running around.

Chris Johnson is the coach of Avondale Heights.

Craigieburn are really up against it in A grade. Brooks is happy just to play and is working as an engineer I believe.

Geez, there's a couple of Norman Einsteins. They got any other rocket surgeons?

Actually Squizz, McGuane's record as a senior coach is outstanding.

Was at a Coburg Past Player's Luncheon on Saturday with Father Guidance.

Took in the Tigers v Bullants.

Post game had a chat with Alroy Gilligan who is on Richmond's list. I asked him if he knew Ross Tungatulum and he was very surprised that he was no longer at the Saints as he believed he had awesome talent.

Was surprised to see Alroy on the Bundy and Coke post game. I wouldn't have thought many of the Zebs players would do similar?

Some interesting and funny s**t in this one from Spider:

http://insidefootballonline.com/rhysjones.html

"It wasn’t that I didn’t get along with Thomo, it was just that I thought he couldn’t coach. The same with Blighty – I thought he wasn’t really interested at the time."

"With Thomo, I could go and have a beer with him but I couldn’t be coached by Thomo."

"if I’ve ever got a function where they ask me to bring someone, I take Milney because he is such good value."

"For years and years I’ve thought that I kicked a goal with my first kick but someone bought me the DVD this year and I watched it and it was a grubber kick out of bounds!"

"In 1993 I had nearly been dropped from the seconds."

"Alves had been around a few years and I’d played up forward. We went away in 1996 and they asked me to put on a bit of weight, but I put on the wrong sort of weight and came back with skinfolds of 112. It’s a long way back from there to get back to 50. I just ate dim sims and chips!"

"I trained the last training session, but realistically it was only three or four weeks after I had done it and I would have been against Shauny Rehn ... if I had my time again I would chase anyone to staple it – pin it."
Rhys-Jones: Of course St Kilda barrackers think that if you had played in that 1997 Grand Final, the Saints would have won.
"There’s no doubt about that!"

"We were playing West Coast in Perth in the last game of the season under Timmy Watson. We were $4.30, and $21 for over 39 points. I said if everyone puts in $100 – $80 head to head and $20 for over 39 points – we would put the bet on. We had players, officials who were in. We had the bloke ready to run down and put it on. Nathan Burke had cracked the shits and said you shouldn’t have to bet on yourselves to win. Everyone pulled out and we had to give the money back. But five of us got on and we won by 43 points. The five of us were pumped!"

"Brian Waldron didn’t want us to have a beer while we were waiting for the phone call to go to the Chinese restaurant at Jupiters and get Blighty as coach. Hally and I ordered one and he went nuts. When we walked in, the first thing Blighty said was take off your ties and get some beers. We had quite a few … Hally let the crayfish out in the restaurant that night!"

"Burkey was holding the contract and and they were pushing him to get Blighty to sign it but Burkey was saying “No way” (because Blight had had a few drinks)."

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_i...ask=DETAIL&articleID=14082244&sectionID=56342

The Redland Bombers have landed another huge recruiting coup with the return of St.Kilda draftee Brad Howard to the Bombers for the 2011/12 seasons.

Howard, who was drafted to St.Kilda with their second pick in the 2006 National drafted from Redland, played two senior games for the Saints across two seasons before joining with the Sandringham Zebras in the VFL for the past two seasons.

1 year in the AFL - even as a rookie who got few games is valuable; just read that Mark Hutchings is at East Perth
I can confirm that Mark Hutchings will be at the football club next season also, he has been training with the team since pre season began in a limited capacity due to post season surgery.
His attitude is excellent and he has changed his entire body shape in his time at St Kilda and he will be a very valuable addition to the team for 2011.;
http://www.w*************.au/forum/index.php/topic,1946.15.html

Re: Former Player Question

In response to a post that was subsequently deleted which I presume enquired after Brian Gleeson. - K

He was at the funeral recently for John James (who attended the same school in Ballarat).

I hadn't realised that he did his knee practice match after being appointed captain and never played again (a comeback in Qld led to injuring his other knee).

http://www.saints.com.au/TheClub/History/HallofFame/BrianGleeson/tabid/9050/Default.aspx

He commented on the (original) proposed move to Frankston, so still obviously has good ties to the club.

sorry Squizzy- as i was trying to find the delete button you replied.

Yes I asked if anyone knew what Brain gleeson had done post career and was doing now

I also found he had gone to QLD to restart his football a couple of years later and did the other knee.

No problemo.

I didn't know alot about Gleeson, so - as a former captain and Brownlow Medallist - thought it was worth posting the info (for others) despite the deletion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blake McGrath staying in the area-

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...up-for-frankston/story-fn53khop-1225989696983
Goosey hopes Sautner will come on board but said there was "a bit of water to go under the bridge" before he signed.

Meanwhile, the Dolphins have recruited former St Kilda-listed 211cm ruckman Blake McGrath.

"211cm athletes don't fall out of the sky very often," Goosey said.

McGrath, 19, played elite basketball in NSW before being drafted as a rookie by the Saints in 2008.

Another injury setback for Xavier Clarke
Herald Sun
January 20, 2011

SAINT turned Lion Xavier Clarke will have a second knee reconstruction, placing his career in jeopardy.
Brisbane said Clarke ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee at training on Tuesday.

Bad luck for the fella, I suppose it justifies our delisting of him - he has been one of the most fragile footballers to pull on a boot. Can't help thinking what might have been, though. :(

Had a feeling he'd have a run somewhere. Massive signing for a club which won 4 games last year. Fingers crossed he reconsiders his stance on AFL later in the year.

Had a feeling he'd have a run somewhere. Massive signing for a club which won 4 games last year. Fingers crossed he reconsiders his stance on AFL later in the year.

And then we promote him onto the main list. Mwahahahaha!:D

No seriously, it would be nice to have him back, but it's fantastic that he's not lost to football, and I wish him luck in all his future endeavours.

http://hastings-leader.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/ex-saint-hooks-up-with-dromana/

The just-turned 21-year-old was chased by several suburban clubs, including Noble Park, after he stunned the football world by walking out on the Saints at the end of November.

The Dromana Tigers could barely believe their luck when he agreed to join them.

Tigers coach Gavin Artico said Gaertner was keen to enjoy footy again after the pressures of being in the AFL system.

“Seven-days-a-week AFL footy is not as glamorous as everyone thinks so he was just looking to get back and play some good local footy,” Artico said.

“He was being groomed as a tall defender (at St Kilda) and having spoken to him he enjoys playing in the ruck,” Artico said. “I said, ‘Mate, that’s beautiful because it’s what we’re looking for’.”

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/108301/default.aspx

That’s what happened recently when it was claimed that 2010 Hall of Fame inductee Ken Walker was the oldest Saint at 91.

Ken (born 17 October 1919) is, however shaded in the age stakes by a couple of even more senior Saints. Terry O’Brien (born) 7 November 1918 is 92, but the oldest of all is Len Boyd-Gerny.

Len was born on 21 May 1916 which makes him 94.

Len succeeded Eric Ward as the longest living Saint.

Eric passed away last year at the age of 97.

AFL Statistics chief Col Hutchinson tells us that the longest living Saint of all was Archie Richardson (born 18 July 1879, died 7 March 1981) who was 101.

Like all our old Saints he had an interesting tale. Archie served in the Australian army in World War I and was in the US army in World War II.

http://www.wafootball.com.au/wafl/2520-dashing-defender-miles-pumped-to-be-back-at-swans

Luke Miles found himself surprisingly nervous as he played his first WAFL game for Swan Districts since winning the 2007 Swan Medal, but he has had no trouble fitting back into the club and he's delighted to be back in black-and-white.

Once he got out there, though, he was able to show his quality in the black-and-whites' defence as he resettles there in a role that saw him winning the club's fairest and best award in 2007 ahead of three years and two AFL games while with St Kilda.

"To tell you the truth I was actually pretty nervous leading into it. It's been a pretty hectic road getting back here to Swans with moving back from Melbourne, dealing with the girlfriend who is yet to come back and juggling all that along with starting a new job and finding a house," Miles said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back