Former Tiger Phil Walsh murdered - RIP

Someone on the main board said it's tragedy like these that remind us of what's important in life, and unite us as one

For the most part that's been true, and the stunned disbelief from all quarters has been almost unanimous.

Still surprises me when you get some complaining about betting, dream team points, and finals implications of the "no game" decision. As one cats supporter said, at the end of the day a bloke just died horrifically, who cares about finals

Good call from the afl and geelong today, tough decision but they did it well

TigerTime3

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
The AFL has decided that no club will play their song after a win this weekend.

So no belting out our song if we beat GWS this week, it'll just be silence then we leave the stadium.

Pleased there will be a pre-match tribute as that is an ideal time to pay our respects, but would prefer if we were allowed to celebrate if we win as I don't see the relation between the two issues.

Mar 31, 2011
Premiership nirvana
AFL Club
Richmond

So no belting out our song if we beat GWS this week, it'll just be silence then we leave the stadium.

Pleased there will be a pre-match tribute as that is an ideal time to pay our respects, but would prefer if we were allowed to celebrate if we win as I don't see the relation between the two issues.

That sounds like a penalty- I'm not sure if Phil would have wanted that
Instead, I hope the AFL seriously gets behind domestic violence...it's far more prevalent than a terrorist threat
The AFL can and should make in roads in this area...domestic violence is perpetrated usually by men...it's a captive audience that can make a difference and Phil Walsh's passing should not go in vain

Last edited:
It's just about showing respect for the man, and acknowledging the mourning many in the footy community are feeling about the situation

It's one game, you will get to sing the song plenty of times on later weeks

Spluff

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers

It's going to be bizarre. There also aren't going to be any banners, pre-match theme songs, or any half-time quarter-time or pre-match entertainment (including music).

no orange peeler

Cancelled
Jan 21, 2007
livin the dream
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Yankees tottenham hotspur ny giants

Yeah i agree. I see both sides of the story. It will be somber enough in the prematch. The banners actually could have been a nice touch with each club paying tribute. I know its hard to make a celebration out of it but i dont think the post match song should have been scrapped.

Mar 31, 2011
Premiership nirvana
AFL Club
Richmond
It's just about showing respect for the man, and acknowledging the mourning many in the footy community are feeling about the situation

It's not about singing the song it should be about raising awareness for domestic violence and educating men that it's not that way to go...

It's not about singing the song it should be about raising awareness for domestic violence and educating men that it's not that way to go...

And how do you do that? Play a video before and after the game saying beating your wife is bad?

I'm incredibly PC on this stuff, and I get that for many these games will be about mourning and remembering Walsh, but I think turning it into a school educational video session is a step too far (esp with the immediacy of The timing)

Yeah i agree. I see both sides of the story. It will be somber enough in the prematch. The banners actually could have been a nice touch with each club paying tribute. I know its hard to make a celebration out of it but i dont think the post match song should have been scrapped.
Agree, not strongly (as in outraged) but agree regardless. What has happened is horrific and unthinkable. There will be constant reminders of that for joe public footy fan over the next weeks, and much more for those more directly affected. Why shut all that is good about the game down? Not saying we should disrespect in any measure, but let's keep those things that are good going.....

Mar 31, 2011
Premiership nirvana
AFL Club
Richmond
And how do you do that? Play a video before and after the game saying beating your wife is bad?

I'm incredibly PC on this stuff, and I get that for many these games will be about mourning and remembering Walsh, but I think turning it into a school educational video session is a step too far (esp with the immediacy of The timing)

Your response is rather odd...why are you talking about a school educational video? WTF?

It's about domestic aggression...a father to a wife
A father to a daughter or son
A son to a father

The AFL can and should play a role...end of story

This isn't the time for it, but this always gets to me.....1/3 of domestic violence is BY WOMEN.

Lets educate everyone that violence is bad, domestic or otherwise.

Your response is rather odd...why are you talking about a school educational video? WTF?

It's about domestic aggression...a father to a wife
A father to a daughter or son
A son to a father

The AFL can and should play a role...end of story

My point is what do you want them to do for this education? A video on the big screen, someone giving a speech on the ground?

While your sentiment is worthy, there is no way to do what you want without being crass and tacky in the time and other constraints faced

Spot on.
Sometimes in tragedy, it is appropriate to pause first before getting on with it.
This weekend it's all about pausing. I applaud the idea of no fanfare and no songs blaring.

Agreed.

If nothing else, I'd rather err on the side of 'too much'.

Mar 31, 2011
Premiership nirvana
AFL Club
Richmond
My point is what do you want them to do for this education? A video on the big screen, someone giving a speech on the ground?

While your sentiment is worthy, there is no way to do what you want without being crass and tacky in the time and other constraints faced

Exactly, no one wants tackiness etc...I would like the AFL from this point on, to play a bigger role in this area...it should be part of a bigger campaign over years...and not just about this weekend

TigerTime3

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
The following might sound wrong to some people, but logically it's a perfectly fair question that directly follows from the decision to respect Phil Walsh by not celebrating a win by belting out the song:

Is it wrong to cheer too loudly after each goal is kicked?

Also, is it wrong if a player (say Jack Riewoldt) celebrates after kicking a goal?

Mar 31, 2011
Premiership nirvana
AFL Club
Richmond
The following might sound wrong to some people, but logically it's a perfectly fair question that directly follows from the decision to respect Phil Walsh by not celebrating a win by belting out the song:

Is it wrong to cheer too loudly after each goal is kicked?

Also, is it wrong if a player (say Jack Riewoldt) celebrates after kicking a goal?
Hope we don't stop cheering...otherwise we have missed the point

Exactly, no one wants tackiness etc...I would like the AFL from this point on, to play a bigger role in this area...it should be part of a bigger campaign over years...and not just about this weekend

How though? You say they should do more, but you're not saying what

Back