Former Tiger Phil Walsh murdered - RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

The afl could start by asking Channel 7 to move Carey on. It's a disgrace that this guy gets to show his face on National television
About the song being sung before and after the game my feelings are not certain
On Anzac Day do they sing the songs among the other festivities? A lot more innocent people were and still are killed in war
I'm not sure what happens
Also I think a tribute at the start of each game would be respectful. No theme song at start , but sing it for the winners

The following might sound wrong to some people, but logically it's a perfectly fair question that directly follows from the decision to respect Phil Walsh by not celebrating a win by belting out the song:

Is it wrong to cheer too loudly after each goal is kicked?

Also, is it wrong if a player (say Jack Riewoldt) celebrates after kicking a goal?

You're not allowed to boo lest it's racist, and now we can't cheer because it's disrespectful too PC

If they're getting rid of the songs, I hope they get rid of all the tacky s**t and ads you get through the stadium speakers all game and at half time.
Just pure, good ol' hard footy would be the best tribute.

That won't happen, stakeholders to please

How though? You say they should do more, but you're not saying what
via programs at grass root levels over years not just 1 weekend...
I've goal umpired at my sons u 12 game where an opposition team father was constantly abusing his 11 year old son for being soft...went hell for leather about what a weak bastard his son was
We stopped the game and had a word to the dad and then spoke reassuringly to the son...that s**t happens every weekend...the AFL can do so much more in this space...educating clubs, programs for kids, awareness ...positive role models etc etc etc

In South Korea, they have a service called "professional mourners". You hire people to come to the funeral of a loved one and they weep loudly and get on their hands and knees while crying to express their pain to all your friends. If you don't display enough emotional pain, people might think you don't care enough.

That's kind of what's happening here.

You don't have to mope around depressed all weekend to pay your respects and show compassion to those affected by the Phil Walsh tragedy.

In respect to the tragedy, I'm going to appreciate all moments of happiness I experience this weekend. I hope we don't make the news when we sing "Oh We're From Tigerland!" with the crowd around me if we win, cos I'll feel like singing it and it won't be related to Phil Walsh in any way.

Fwiw I reckon the round would have been cancelled if not for the TV and sponsors and the like

There is a lot more to it than that...People traveling to games (with clubs and fans), people working, suppliers, etc etc etc...Lots of 'stakeholders', big and small to adjust at the last minute.

If there had been a couple of days, maybe, but even then it'd be unlikely.

The AFL has decided that no club will play their song after a win this weekend.

So no belting out our song if we beat GWS this week, it'll just be silence then we leave the stadium.

Pleased there will be a pre-match tribute as that is an ideal time to pay our respects, but would prefer if we were allowed to celebrate if we win as I don't see the relation between the two issues.
It's about showing respect and not celebrating something in a period of grief. Not singing the song for a week is the last thing people should be concerned about

Yeah i agree. I see both sides of the story. It will be somber enough in the prematch. The banners actually could have been a nice touch with each club paying tribute. I know its hard to make a celebration out of it but i dont think the post match song should have been scrapped.
Yeah I'm not entirely sure they needed to take a sledge hammer to anything that resembled anything remotely that could be attributed to celebration. Call me crazy , but rather than do everything possible to darken our experience, how about we respond to violence by celebrating life and loving ea other. This is and ill conceived response

In South Korea, they have a service called "professional mourners". You hire people to come to the funeral of a loved one and they weep loudly and get on their hands and knees while crying to express their pain to all your friends. If you don't display enough emotional pain, people might think you don't care enough.

That's kind of what's happening here.

You don't have to mope around depressed all weekend to pay your respects and show compassion to those affected by the Phil Walsh tragedy.

I'm going to appreciate the moments of happiness I get this weekend. I hope we don't make the news when we sing "Oh We're From Tigerland!" with the crowd around me if we win, cos I'm singing it 100% and it won't be related to Phil Walsh in any way whatsoever.
I'll add, everyone reacts differently. It's not a bad thing but people also need to respect that everyone reacts differently, there's no one "right way" of doing it. Just because someone doesn't feel sad about it doesn't mean they're heartless, just like if someone can't get out of bed due to it doesn't mean they're a sook. End of the day we're all human, so lets try do things at a level that provide the most support to the majority without putting others out too much, and even if it does put them out I'm sure they'll understand and respect why.

It's about showing respect and not celebrating something in a period of grief. Not singing the song for a week is the last thing people should be concerned about

Agree, singing the song is not an issue that we should be concerned about at all. It's unrelated to the tragedy and banning it sends a message that it's wrong to show happiness this weekend.

Should we cheer loudly after a goal? Or should we just clap politely?

Should Cotchin pump his fist into the air after a great goal? Or should he try not to look happy?

It just seems to be a hasty decision and I think a majority of people would agree that it's not disrespectful to sing the song after a win. They got that one wrong IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, singing the song is not an issue that we should be concerned about at all. It's unrelated to the tragedy and banning it sends a message that it's wrong to show happiness this weekend.

Should Cotchin pump his fist into the air after a great goal? Or should he do nothing?
Said this a bit above, IMO you should do what you feel is most appropriate for yourself
The league have put some things in place out of respect but everything else is completely up to the individual

via programs at grass root levels over years not just 1 weekend...
I've goal umpired at my sons u 12 game where an opposition team father was constantly abusing his 11 year old son for being soft...went hell for leather about what a weak bastard his son was
We stopped the game and had a word to the dad and then spoke reassuringly to the son...that s**t happens every weekend...the AFL can do so much more in this space...educating clubs, programs for kids, awareness ...positive role models etc etc etc

I have no issue with any of this, but none of this has anything to do with the pre and post game activities at the game which you originally responded on

What at the game are you wanting done other than stopping the songs?

I'll add, everyone reacts differently. It's not a bad thing but people also need to respect that everyone reacts differently, there's no one "right way" of doing it. Just because someone doesn't feel sad about it doesn't mean they're heartless, just like if someone can't get out of bed due to it doesn't mean they're a sook. End of the day we're all human, so lets try do things at a level that provide the most support to the majority without putting others out too much, and even if it does put them out I'm sure they'll understand and respect why.
"A weight on a mans soul can only be measured by the soul that carries it"

And that means you want what done at the actual games?
Sheesh...let it go man

As I said right from the start...I don't see the point of stopping the signing of the song at the end of the game...the AFLs stance here seems tokenistic... I reckon Phil Walsh would have wanted the song sung loud and proud
The minute's silence at the start of the game is the appropriate mark of respect

Ill leave it at that

Should Cotchin pump his fist into the air after a great goal? Or should he try not to look happy?

It just seems to be a hasty decision and I think a majority of people would agree that it's not disrespectful to sing the song after a win. They got that one wrong IMO.
Watching the Pies/Hawks game and the crowd is behaving the way they normally would, cheering for goals, booing poor decisions or those they think are poor and the atmosphere is no different to any other game of footy. Considering the AFL could have called the round off completely I'm not in the slightest bit concerned about missing out on hearing the song post game.

Hey Flea, did you ever see Walshy play for us?
What was he like?

Not as good as when he tore us apart at Waverley , and GR fell. In love with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back