Formula 1 in 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

First off - this from the FIA!

The FIA has confirmed that races will restart from a standing start following safety car periods in 2015.
After the idea was raised during an F1 Commission meeting last week, the World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) has ratified the change in regulations in a meeting in Munich on Thursday. The only time standing restarts will not be used will be if the safety car is deployed in the opening two laps or within five laps of the finish of the race.

Standing starts are one of a number of changes to the regulations next year, with testing to be reduced once again. The three four-day pre-season tests are only permitted to take place in Europe and will be reduced to two four-day tests in 2016. Next season will also see a reduction of in-season testing from four tests to two; each consisting of two days. Two of the four days will have to be allocated to young drivers.

Teams will also face new wind tunnel restrictions relating to the amount of permitted hours per week - reduced from 80 to 65 - with wind-on hours being lowered from 30 to 25 hours per week.

The number of power units that each driver is permitted to use has been reduced to four for next season, although that will increase to five if the calendar consists of more than 20 races. If a driver changes a complete power unit he will have to start from the back of the grid rather than the pit lane.

Other changes to the sporting regulations see parc ferme rules imposed from the start of FP3 rather than the start of qualifying, while the Friday night curfew has been increased from six to seven hours and will rise to eight in 2016.

The ban on tyre blankets has also been dropped for 2015, with the FIA adding that "This will be re-discussed if and when the wheel and tyre diameter increases in the future."

Technical changes will see "A number of new regulations for the noses to ensure improved safety and to provide more aesthetically pleasing structures", while a two-stage wheel fastener retaining system is now compulsory.

I am becoming anti-engine-restriction-rules. Reading between the lines of Renault's statements, if an engine manufacturer finds themselves on the back foot at the start of the season, then the engine restrictions limits them from making too many major engine improvements, thus reducing the amount of competition. So Renault are basically stuck, and the fans are more likely to see one team walk away with the title.

I am becoming anti-engine-restriction-rules. Reading between the lines of Renault's statements, if an engine manufacturer finds themselves on the back foot at the start of the season, then the engine restrictions limits them from making too many major engine improvements, thus reducing the amount of competition. So Renault are basically stuck, and the fans are more likely to see one team walk away with the title.
It wouldn't be such a problem if the sporting regs weren't so tight as well. If you don't get what I mean, I'll try to explain myself later. I don't want to have to write an essay now.

Something's just occurred to me. F1 never had safety cars til the 93 season. Safety cars was an "American thing". Before, they would just stop the race. Something substantial would have to occur to actually bring out the red flag. The snobbery was finally let go, because the fuss over restarting and aggregate time was a pain in the arse. Now, they bringing out the safety car and using a standing restart. Safety cars were introduced to avoid standing starts! :rolleyes::oops::confused:

Starting to become billy cart racing
steady on, there's fewer restrictions in billy cart racing ;)

I understand why regulations exist, but it's starting to get like it's edging towards being like the A1 GP series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A1_Grand_Prix#Chassis_and_engines

The A1GP formula provided a single "spec" car for each team. Each car was mechanically identical, built with many technical restrictions designed to limit performance, reduce running costs, and prevent any one or number of teams gaining an advantage through better equipment. This regulation provided a level playing field in which driver skill and team effort should become the primary factor for success.

1 prediction from me:

Red Bull will drop their Renault engine for either a Mercedes or Honda

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114743

Monza F1 race set to be dropped after 2016, according to Ecclestone

The future of the Italian Grand Prix at Monza is in doubt after Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone said on Tuesday that the event was likely to be dropped after 2016.

When asked by Gazzetta dello Sport about what the future of the Monza race looked like, Ecclestone said: "It's not good. I don't think we'll do another contract, as the old
one has been disastrous for us from a commercial point of view.

"So it's bye-bye after 2016."

Italy got any other good tracks for F1 outside of Monza
Misano, Imola, Mugello would all be good for F1. Don't know if they are up to F1 standard though....

Looks like F1 will be heading back to the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez in Mexico next year if reports from the local press are to be believed. Not a bad track and I imagine there will be a fair bit of local interest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back