Formula 1 in 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

10253854_10154065254805582_6674017193926227157_n.jpg

Never forgotten.

When track officials examined the wreckage of Senna's racing car, they found a furled Austrian flag. Senna had planned to raise it after the race, in honour of Ratzenberger.

Every year I forget that, read it and am amazed.

Actually you'll find most on here would agree,
He, like most on here, are mostly worried about the superficial parts of F1. Did he say who was going to pay to build those cars?

plus what would he know..... its not like he drove in the category for 10 years.

Oh wait.
He knows a lot about F1 as an industry, But I doubt Mark has been interested enough in motorsport to know much about motorsport in the first half of last century. When you do, you get to see the bigger picture, and how motorsport has evolved to what it is now.

F1's rules are completely arse about. They finally allow some power unit development (which by the way is very cool tech) but then freeze it to 'cut costs'. It's one step forward and 2 steps back. Anyone seen how much Mercedes and Ferrari particularly and to a lesser extent Red Bull have spent? Red Bull with such a shitbox PU need to massively overspend on aero to try and get any results (estimates indicate 3m pounds on crash testing new front wings alone :drunk:).

It ends up like this:
Everything frozen except [insert any part] - the big teams will throw *full budget* at [unfrozen part]. Typically something practically useless to road cars like front wings.
Everything unfrozen - the big teams will throw *full budget* at a variety of parts, developing tech all over.

Just something simple like "engines free, 70kg of fuel for the race" would have massive implications for car companies who typically end up being the front-runners in F1. Imagine the cutting edge stuff we'd have if the teams could develop the engines freely to get the maximum efficiency?

Add in another rule capping the price teams can supply their engines for and force them to make their engines available to a minimum number of teams and suddenly now costs have reduced massively. All the smaller teams can get a competitive engine for a decent price and spend their money on the other parts of the car.

Big teams can either:
1. Throw massive amounts of cash at the engines and get amazing levels of efficiency we've never seen, but still have to sell the engines to some other teams meaning they don't necessarily get a massive advantage over everyone.
2. Not bother throwing ridiculous cash at the engine and be able to spend that money developing new tech elsewhere.

Freedom of design would entice big car manufacturers. Affordable racing would entice perhaps racing teams. Everyone wins.

But instead the likes of Renault will have to throw squillions of man hours at finding a way to improve the very limited parts of the engine they are still able to under these idiotic rules.

might watch the 94 race tonight. strange type of tribute to him, but its a facinating race
The 1994 Season Review is an extraordinary thing to watch. The most insane year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no words left to describe Channel 10 without the BF swear filter filling my post up with ******s
Got time to kill and found this F1 board on BF. Who would have thunk!
Anyway I'm still fuming at Tens decision to ditch F1 the way they have. For as long as I remember we have enjoyed free to air viewing and now those pricks at FOXTEL come along and bugger it up for everyone. Games of Thrones is one thing but now F1. Can't believe it.
And on those weeks we miss it live what's the freaking point watching the highlights the day after. Not bloody interested. And I'm slowly losing interest in F1 altogether which is a great shame because I would like to follow ricciardo's growth into the sport but can't anymore. And watching every second race is not enough. As for getting foxtel? Not a bloody chance.

Thank god for Foxtel! The coverage has gone to another level! Plus we get every practice session, qualy & race in HD with the full SKY sports pre race & post race coverage. We also get the red button stuff too. Oh yeah, and the best bit, no ads during the race.

Not to mention you also get every game of footy on Foxtel..........

Just out of interest:
2014 Belgian Formula 1 Grand Prix vs 2015 WEC 6 Hours of Spa. Both dry
WEC Fastest lap: 1'57.972
GP-
Fastest lap (Rosberg): 1’50.511
Fastest lap from any non Mercedes car (Sutil): 1’52.413
Fastest lap from the race winner (Ricciardo): 1’52.974
Slowest fastest lap from a car that completed a decent amount of the race (Bianchi): 1’56.347

Maybe it's just me but IMO these times are way too close together.

Last edited:
Just out of interest:
2014 Belgian Formula 1 Grand Prix vs 2015 WEC 6 Hours of Spa. Both dry
WEC Fastest lap: 1'57.972
GP-
Fastest lap (Rosberg): 1’50.511
Fastest lap from any non Mercedes car (Sutil): 1’52.413
Fastest lap from the race winner (Ricciardo): 1’52.974
Slowest fastest lap from a car that completed a decent amount of the race (Bianchi): 1’56.347

Maybe it's just me but IMO these times are way to close together.
That wec race was interesting too. First time I've watched it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back