Formula 1 in 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Red Bull are saying they'll quit F1:

From the BBC site:

Red Bull say they will pull out of Formula 1 if either they cannot get a competitive engine or Audi do not join forces with the team.

Red Bull are frustrated with partner Renault's failure to master the hybrid engines introduced into F1 last year.

Motorsport adviser Helmut Marko said Red Bull were interested in doing a deal that would see Audi enter F1.

"If we don't have a competitive engine in the near future, then either Audi is coming or we are out," said Marko.

But he denied Red Bull had already been in formal talks with the German company, which is part of the Volkswagen Group.

Marko told BBC Sport: "There are so many rumours. Officially there was no request or talks. The VW Group first has to sort out who will be the new chief of support, who will run the brand of VW, and when they have sorted all these things maybe then they can think about what they are doing in motorsport.

"I was on the phone but not to the people you think."

Like all teams, Red Bull have a contractual commitment to race in F1 until 2020. They also have a contract with Renault at least until the end of the 2016 season.

Marko's remarks are a reference to a power struggle taking place at the very top of the VW Group, which also has Porsche, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Skoda and Seat among its brands.

_82907019_helmut_marko_getty.jpg

Helmut Marko has been rumoured to be in talks with Audi

Ferdinand Piech, who had led the German giant for more than 20 years, resigned as chairman last month.

The 78-year-old was a staunch opponent of any of VW's brands entering F1, partly because of his personal antipathy towards F1 commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone.

Uncertainty continues to surround the senior management of Audi as a replacement for Piech has not yet been announced. His two nieces were appointed to the board to replace him and his wife, who resigned at the same time.

Senior sources in the German car industry believe Audi chairman Rupert Stadler is keen on an F1 entry, but that idea was vetoed in January by Piech.

The team had further trouble with their Renault engines at the Spanish Grand Prix last weekend.

Reliability problems mean Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo has already used four engines this season - which is as many as each driver is allowed to use throughout the year.

Red Bull, whose other driver Daniil Kvyat has also suffered engine failures, know it is inevitable they will be hit by grid penalties for using extra engines.

Mercedes drivers Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg, by contrast, have used only one engine for all five races so far.

_82907021_red_bull_kyvat_getty.jpg

Daniil Kyvat has used the maximum number of engines permitted in a season

Marko said: "I hope the reliability issues are solved pretty soon because it is really depressing how much we are losing on the straights."

He added: "Renault see the problems themselves and we have to try and find out these problems together. It is not only reliability, it is also that we did not run most of the practice sessions because of other issues. It is also a quality problem. "

So given that this year is already a write-off for Red Bull and Renault, is there a chance that they treat the rest of the season as giant pre-season testing for 2016 and just throw money at engine development and bugger the grid consequences for are there significant fiscal penalties for trying such a thing?

Good no we can't have more Christian horners. Please no no no

At this point I'd normally post a pic from when Christian Horner posed nude atop a race car, but that would violate BigFooty rules, Western Australian law and the Geneva Convention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Normally I'd watch a GP by myself at home. But for Spain, I went to a gaming venue. The staff immediately attended to my request to change the channel, and were even interested in it as well. It was quiet, but not dead. I didn't mind it. Might even go on some C10 races. I might even take up the pokies!

There is a new "pizza" bar in Perth called Grid, but its pretty much a sports bar with 8 F1 simulators in it. Has 8 all wired up for network play running a customised version of rFactor. Went there the other week with a few mates, was awesome fun. Its open everyday, BYO (they are working on getting their liquor license) and show every session of an F1 weekend + all other spots all the time.

If anyone is in Perth and don't have Foxtel and want to watch the F1 weekend, I suggest checking the place out. Even if you go down with some beers, buy a burger or pizza over the bar, its a good way to kill a few hours and talk motor racing with other like minded people. They actually have one in Sydney and Melbourne as well.

http://www.thegridracing.com.au/

Last edited:
Red Bull are saying they'll quit F1:

From the BBC site:

Red Bull say they will pull out of Formula 1 if either they cannot get a competitive engine or Audi do not join forces with the team.

Red Bull are frustrated with partner Renault's failure to master the hybrid engines introduced into F1 last year.

Motorsport adviser Helmut Marko said Red Bull were interested in doing a deal that would see Audi enter F1.

"If we don't have a competitive engine in the near future, then either Audi is coming or we are out," said Marko.

But he denied Red Bull had already been in formal talks with the German company, which is part of the Volkswagen Group.

Marko told BBC Sport: "There are so many rumours. Officially there was no request or talks. The VW Group first has to sort out who will be the new chief of support, who will run the brand of VW, and when they have sorted all these things maybe then they can think about what they are doing in motorsport.

"I was on the phone but not to the people you think."

Like all teams, Red Bull have a contractual commitment to race in F1 until 2020. They also have a contract with Renault at least until the end of the 2016 season.

Marko's remarks are a reference to a power struggle taking place at the very top of the VW Group, which also has Porsche, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Skoda and Seat among its brands.

_82907019_helmut_marko_getty.jpg

Helmut Marko has been rumoured to be in talks with Audi

Ferdinand Piech, who had led the German giant for more than 20 years, resigned as chairman last month.

The 78-year-old was a staunch opponent of any of VW's brands entering F1, partly because of his personal antipathy towards F1 commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone.

Uncertainty continues to surround the senior management of Audi as a replacement for Piech has not yet been announced. His two nieces were appointed to the board to replace him and his wife, who resigned at the same time.

Senior sources in the German car industry believe Audi chairman Rupert Stadler is keen on an F1 entry, but that idea was vetoed in January by Piech.

The team had further trouble with their Renault engines at the Spanish Grand Prix last weekend.

Reliability problems mean Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo has already used four engines this season - which is as many as each driver is allowed to use throughout the year.

Red Bull, whose other driver Daniil Kvyat has also suffered engine failures, know it is inevitable they will be hit by grid penalties for using extra engines.

Mercedes drivers Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg, by contrast, have used only one engine for all five races so far.

_82907021_red_bull_kyvat_getty.jpg

Daniil Kyvat has used the maximum number of engines permitted in a season

Marko said: "I hope the reliability issues are solved pretty soon because it is really depressing how much we are losing on the straights."

He added: "Renault see the problems themselves and we have to try and find out these problems together. It is not only reliability, it is also that we did not run most of the practice sessions because of other issues. It is also a quality problem. "

Apparently Helmut was misquoted.;)
Red Bull motorsport advisor Dr Helmut Marko has dismissed reports quoting him as saying they’d pull out of F1 if Renault’s engine remained uncompetitive and they couldn’t alternatively link up with Audi.

Speaking to Red Bull’s own Servus TV station on Monday, Marko said the reports were “nonsense” and "completely distorted”. He added that although the former world champions and Renault faced a “difficult situation” they were “working together” to make themselves more competitive.

http://bit.ly/1H4IzRi

There is a new "pizza" bar in Perth called Grid, but its pretty much a sports bar with 8 F1 simulators in it. Has 8 all wired up for network play running a customised version of rFactor. Went there the other week with a few mates, was awesome fun. Its open everyday, BYO (they are working on getting their liquor license) and show every session of an F1 weekend + all other spots all the time.

If anyone is in Perth and don't have Foxtel and want to watch the F1 weekend, I suggest checking the place out. Even if you go down with some beers, buy a burger or pizza over the bar, its a good way to kill a few hours and talk motor racing with other like minded people. They actually have one in Sydney and Melbourne as well.

http://www.thegridracing.com.au/

Looks really intriguing. Great thing about Perth as well is that the European GPs start at 8pm, a much more reasonable hour. Where is it? The site doesn't actually list the location.

Looks really intriguing. Great thing about Perth as well is that the European GPs start at 8pm, a much more reasonable hour. Where is it? The site doesn't actually list the location.

Address
U1/310 William Street
North Bridge
Perth, WA

http://www.thegridracing.com.au/perth/contact-us

I have only been there once but was a fun time, and will definitely go back there again, even if its just to watch a footy game or F1 race and smash out a few laps on the simulators haha.

It wouldn't actually be too bad of a way to start a Saturday night. Head down with mates, have some beers while watching Quali then head out after its finished at 9pm.

Address
U1/310 William Street
North Bridge
Perth, WA

http://www.thegridracing.com.au/perth/contact-us

I have only been there once but was a fun time, and will definitely go back there again, even if its just to watch a footy game or F1 race and smash out a few laps on the simulators haha.

It wouldn't actually be too bad of a way to start a Saturday night. Head down with mates, have some beers while watching Quali then head out after its finished at 9pm.
Losing Qualy of free to air has been a massive kick in the plums. Some races the qualy can be more exciting.

Interesting looking place that, not sure howd id fair in a simulator but! :O

Strategy group meeting that was actually constructive. Coming in 2017:

Refuelling
Higher fuel flow for more powerful, louder engines. Still using the V6 turbos
Teams having free choice of the 4 tyre compounds at races (effective 2016)
Wider tyres and lighter cars

Remove this Banner Ad

Back