Formula 1 in 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

A fairly significant portion (like 50%) of the downforce doesn't come from the wings IIRC. It was mentioned by someone from a team on Sky or something.

Give back the EBD's and I think it would be surprisingly fast.

It would be interesting to see how drivable they would be without the wings, if drivable at all. Certainly in the past at least, when other motorsportsmen have driven F1 cars at a pace too slow to generate enough downforce the cars have just spun off the track! I wonder if the other downforce devices could generate the downforce in the right areas for the car to still travel quickly (relative of course).

A fairly significant portion (like 50%) of the downforce doesn't come from the wings IIRC. It was mentioned by someone from a team on Sky or something.

Give back the EBD's and I think it would be surprisingly fast.
The floor I think also generates a decent portion of the down force. Really but like any complicated machine its the actions of all the separate parts working together.

No Russia wouldn't necessarily be a huge blow. Last year's race was a snore fest (supersofts and softs might spice it up).

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

and now Jenson Button has put his weight behind Montoya's remarks on reducing the amount of telemetry during a race:

Jenson Button believes the proliferation of data in Formula 1 has made it far easier for drivers in recent years compared to the early stages of his career.
Former Williams and McLaren driver Juan Pablo Montoya recently suggested F1 should get rid of gadgets such as the tyre and temperature sensors, claiming "the racing would get better by 10 per cent, I'm certain of that".
Button, who raced against Montoya during the Colombian's F1 career that ran from 2001-2006, feels the current IndyCar Series leader has a point.
"Juan Pablo, when he raced, there weren't all these sensors," said Button.
"When we were both racing back then, when you got into Formula 1, it was about learning about the tyres, about finding your feet, learning stuff for yourself.
"It wasn't about the team telling you how hard to push through one corner and how hot the tyres are getting through another.
"You had to feel it for yourself. For me that was a lot more fun.
"There's a lot more information on offer now, which you're going to take if you're a new driver.
"But for me it was an area where you could work and improve yourself, and you could do a better job than other drivers and it could make a difference.
"Now it's not the case, so I agree with Juan Pablo, which is very unusual!"
Speaking at last month's FIA Sport Conference in Mexico City, current IndyCar points leader Montoya said: "The driver is now lazy. There's no feel.
"They see [the temperature] is too much they back off the pace.
"Look at the tyres, back off the pace, look at the brakes, back off the pace.
"If you take all that away it becomes a feel thing again. If you drive it too hard you're going to wear the tyres.
"The driver and the team just have too much information.
"It's OK to have the information in practice, but that information shouldn't be there in the race for the drivers. It's got to be a feel thing.
"Also it will mean you will start to see the talented people coming through."

So Jenson and Jessica Button were in their villa on holiday. Thieves pumped gas through the air conditioning and while they were knocked out stole Jessica's £250k ring and another £50k worth of stuff.

That's seriously messed up.
Yeah just read this, sounds terrifying!

So Jenson and Jessica Button were in their villa on holiday. Thieves pumped gas through the air conditioning and while they were knocked out stole Jessica's £250k ring and another £50k worth of stuff.

I just hope there's no long term effects from the gas they used; being rendered unconscious by gas for a long period of time can't be good for you. You can only assume the thieves would be using large amounts of the stuff to ensure the people in the place being robbed don't wake up. The report I read didn't confirm gas was used, but apparently there was a total of five people in the villa and they all heard nothing and woke up feeling groggy.

I just hope there's no long term effects from the gas they used; being rendered unconscious by gas for a long period of time can't be good for you. You can only assume the thieves would be using large amounts of the stuff to ensure the people in the place being robbed don't wake up. The report I read didn't confirm gas was used, but apparently there was a total of five people in the villa and they all heard nothing and woke up feeling groggy.
Anaesthetic gas apparently, so they should be fine. Police saying it's been happening in this area over the last few months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its very lucky they weren't killed. Can be a very fine line between knocking someone out chemically and killing them.

(Case in point the old chloroform in so many works of fiction is bullshit, its poisonous.)

The amount teams are spending in 2015 have been published and the list shows why the top four teams don't want a cost cap. Ferrari at #4 on the list spends more than double that of Williams who come in at #5.
1. Red Bull Racing €468.7m
2. Mercedes €467.4m
3. McLaren Honda €465m
4. Ferrari €418m
5. Williams €186.4m
6. Lotus €139.1m
7. Toro Rosso €137.45m
8. Force India €129.7m
9. Sauber €103.25m
10. Manor €83m
TOTALS: €2598m

Some interesting figures from this article: http://raconteur.net/business/how-much-does-an-f1-car-cost

I think they're using Williams as the example.

Sponsorship only pays for half of the team costs, so I would assume F1 prize money accounts for the rest and ultimately determines if Williams makes a profit or loss each year.

Red Bull aren't expecting an upgraded power unit from Renault until the Russian Grand Prix. That's a whole bunch of races in the future and I'd expect that decision is based on Red Bull using their existing engines until then (Belgium, Italy, Singapore, and Japan) and then the upgraded unit for the final five races of the year.

Some interesting figures from this article: http://raconteur.net/business/how-much-does-an-f1-car-cost

I think they're using Williams as the example.

Sponsorship only pays for half of the team costs, so I would assume F1 prize money accounts for the rest and ultimately determines if Williams makes a profit or loss each year.

That's how it's been ever since Berne took over the pot. Back in 92 when Jordan took on free Yamaha engines they ended up slowing the car down compared to the old Ford unit. Jordan were struggling so much they didn't score a point all year until the last race. It ended up being crucial, as Eddie Jordan later admitted, without that point and the prize money that came with it the team would have very likely gone under.

However in recent times Bernie has been forced to hand over a bigger percentage of tv money to the teams due to the lack of sponsors right across the grid and those who do come on board not paying as much as they once did. Been that way since around the time cigs were banned. The last big F1 sponsor to enter F1 was ING and they left pretty quickly using the 08 Singapore scandal as an excuse but were looking to leave sooner than that anyway.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back