Formula 1 in 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Stating the obvious here, but it was another year where what car you were in won over talent. Don't need any confirmation, but the top 10 goes some way with team mates finishing back to back down to tenth. Can't remember that happening before.

Agree with this 100%, I actually think this is the best all round year of driving that I have seen Vettel do and he has won 4 World Championships. He didn't have the best car underneath him this year and he was still able to make it talk.

Also think Nico Rosberg is not even in the top 3 or 4 drivers on the grid at the moment.

Invariably the guys with the best car wins the title, but the car advantage that Seb had and now Hammy means the best drivers have easily the best car.
Remember 2010? 2010 was great. Hell 2012 was insane too. 7 winners in the first 7 races. We've only had 4 winners across the last two years.

Agree with this 100%, I actually think this is the best all round year of driving that I have seen Vettel do and he has won 4 World Championships. He didn't have the best car underneath him this year and he was still able to make it talk.

Also think Nico Rosberg is not even in the top 3 or 4 drivers on the grid at the moment.
Prior to this year I've always thought Vettel was a good driver in the best car, but after the way he's driven this year I've got new found respect and my opinion has changed.

Rosberg is improving, but you're right he's not in the best handful of drivers. I'd have Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel well ahead of him and on talent arguments could be made for up and coming drivers like Bottas, Riccardo and Verstappen. I could see all 3 having better careers, however I reckon another year or 2 is needed to see if they live up to their potential.

My order of drivers would be:

1: Vettel
2: Hamilton
3: Ricciardo (Might be Biased, but he did outdrive Vettel last year in the same car)
4: Alonso
5: Raikkonen
6: Button
7: Bottas
8: Rosberg

Replace Raikkonen with Ricciardo. Kimi is horrendously overrated. He's been shown up the last two seasons when in a car next to a World Class driver.
Ricciardo hasn't done it for long enough yet. His wins have, for the most part, been people in front of him falling over. Yes I know to finish first, first you have to finish. And he's had a poxy car. But he hasn't really dominated a weekend yet. Not saying he's not capable. Just that he hasn't done it yet. Plus he just got beaten by Kvyat who I don't particularly rate highly.

Kimi's past it, and maybe I ranked him higher than I should have based on his career. But he's a World Champion.

My order of drivers would be:

1: Vettel
2: Hamilton
3: Ricciardo (Might be Biased, but he did outdrive Vettel last year in the same car)
4: Alonso
5: Raikkonen
6: Button
7: Bottas
8: Rosberg
You did not just rank Ricciardo ahead of Fernando Alonso.

Remember 2010? 2010 was great. Hell 2012 was insane too. 7 winners in the first 7 races. We've only had 4 winners across the last two years.
Whilst that is true, Mark Webber very nearly won, and probably should've won that title. Not many around here would say he's an F1 championship calibre driver.

Ricciardo hasn't done it for long enough yet. His wins have, for the most part, been people in front of him falling over. Yes I know to finish first, first you have to finish. And he's had a poxy car. But he hasn't really dominated a weekend yet. Not saying he's not capable. Just that he hasn't done it yet. Plus he just got beaten by Kvyat who I don't particularly rate highly.

Kimi's past it, and maybe I ranked him higher than I should have based on his career. But he's a World Champion.
That's pretty disingenuous. DR was clearly better than DK this year. He was just extremely unfortunate with failures etc.

Riccardo was in a bit of a best of the rest situation with those wins I think. Did Riccardo have many more DNFs or problems than Kyvat?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's pretty disingenuous. DR was clearly better than DK this year. He was just extremely unfortunate with failures etc.
Riccardo was in a bit of a best of the rest situation with those wins I think. Did Riccardo have many more DNFs or problems than Kyvat?
Ricciardo 3 retirements. Kvyat 1 DNS and 2 retirements. Ricciardo had 1 extra podium finish (2 vs 1) but Kvyat finished 4th three times whilst Ricciardo never did.

Overall it was a pretty even year, but I don't especially rate Kvyat. If Ricciardo's as good as I think/hope he is, he should be putting distance between them pretty comfortably. Ricciardo won the qualifying battle 12-7. Hopefully, from an Australian POV, that gap will be bigger next year.

I think we've seen the best of Button and Raikkonen. Their best was better than Rosberg and while I don't think Rosberg will reach those levels, right now and on a future grid he's got them covered.
Put them in the same car and I'd back JB.

Ricciardo 3 retirements. Kvyat 1 DNS and 2 retirements. Ricciardo had 1 extra podium finish (2 vs 1) but Kvyat finished 4th three times whilst Ricciardo never did.

Overall it was a pretty even year, but I don't especially rate Kvyat. If Ricciardo's as good as I think/hope he is, he should be putting distance between them pretty comfortably. Ricciardo won the qualifying battle 12-7. Hopefully, from an Australian POV, that gap will be bigger next year.

You do realise that DK had majority of his mechanical issues when the car was not in a position to score big points whereas DR had his issues and bad luck in Hungary for example the car was capable of scoring bigger points.

In fact it was only through everyone else falling over and or crashing into DR that allowed DK to finish in 2nd there after being 5th + for the majority of the race.

DK did okay this year but you're living in fantasy land of you think he was comparable in performance to DR who when having a reasonable run at it like last night was far superior in performance often putting a big gap between the pair.

Qualifying was clearly a better indication of their performances this year, fairly lop sided, DR put .5 seconds between them in qualifying on Sat night, don't remember DK doing that at any stage this year.

If you put both of them in a Merc Ricciardo would win hands down in my opinion.

You do realise that DK had majority of his mechanical issues when the car was not in a position to score big points whereas DR had his issues and bad luck in Hungary for example the car was capable of scoring bigger points.

In fact it was only through everyone else falling over and or crashing into DR that allowed DK to finish in 2nd there after being 5th + for the majority of the race.

DK did okay this year but you're living in fantasy land of you think he was comparable in performance to DR who when having a reasonable run at it like last night was far superior in performance often putting a big gap between the pair.

Qualifying was clearly a better indication of their performances this year, fairly lop sided, DR put .5 seconds between them in qualifying on Sat night, don't remember DK doing that at any stage this year.

It's this guy's first post on the motor board, and already he's ripping into NWNN!

Take it easy first time poster! Everyone knows the quality of DR season in 2014. He did nothing to diminish it this season. He's established himself as a legit F1 driver, not someone who has potential. He'll now have to be patient for the next opportunity for wins. That's just the way it is in racing.

It's this guy's first post on the motor board, and already he's ripping into NWNN!

Take it easy first time poster! Everyone knows the quality of DR season in 2014. He did nothing to diminish it this season. He's established himself as a legit F1 driver, not someone who has potential. He'll now have to be patient for the next opportunity for wins. That's just the way it is in racing.

I've posted here before, just not often and not recently, only posted here because of thread notifications.

If someone post something that is off the mark I don't really care who it is to be honest and not sure my comments were ripping into him.

Where precisely did I say he diminished his 2014 season?

This may surprise you, but in the "F1 in 2015" thread we're talking about 2015.

I'd agree both in a Merc Danny Rick would win. But that doesn't change the fact he was still beaten by Kvyat this year. I'm still certain he's a much better driver but at the end of the day the first task is to beat your teammate. You can throw up as many reasons/excuses as there was boring races this year, but it won't change the result. I've got full faith he can bounce back next year, but we'll have to wait and see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back