Formula One in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully he goes into broadcasting, seems good infront of the camera
He had mentioned a while back, that he'd always wanted to race V8 Supercars. Federal Govt....make it happen
He'll be racing next year. He's ruled out a full time media career any time soon.

So it will be a Audi-Red Bull-VW or something like that from 2018. Wonder if Red Bull will retain option on who drives, will start to make little sense to me to have their driver program and then no team.

Audi to depart LMP1 and DTM as a result....

Audi's Ingolstadt board has given the green light to formula one, the German publication Audi Bild claimed exclusively on Monday.
Actually, the latest rumours about the Volkswagen Group putting together a F1 foray for one of its brands was broken at the weekend by Eddie Jordan, the former F1 team owner who as British television pundit now regularly breaks major stories.
"Sometimes Eddie is wrong," smiled Red Bull team boss Christian Horner, according to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.
Horner had been asked about Jordan's prediction because Red Bull is currently without an engine supplier for the future, having split behind the scenes with Renault.
Auto Bild claims that, minus "only a few signatures", the Audi board has made the decision to enter F1 in 2018, collaborating with Red Bull as sponsor and pulling out of Le Mans and DTM.
"For me, nothing has changed," Audi's racing chief Dr Wolfgang Ullrich is quoted as saying.
The latest news follows hot on the heels of Red Bull's renewed threat to quit F1, insisting that with Mercedes not willing and Ferrari not yet agreeing to supply an engine, it could be left without horse power.
Horner said: "The fact that we currently have only two strong engine manufacturers is unhealthy for formula one. With the V8s, we had three or four engines that were able to win.
"It is important for F1 that there are several competitive engine suppliers."

The decision for Red Bull to tie up with Audi presents a few problems for Ferrari IMO. I don't see a lot of sense in Ferrari supplying Red Bull with their A-spec engine (ie the same engine that Ferrari uses) if there's only going to be a collaboration for 2 years. This conundrum may delay the Audi announcement, until Red Bull can secure a competitive engine for next year.

Audi to depart LMP1 and DTM as a result....

The decision for Red Bull to tie up with Audi presents a few problems for Ferrari IMO. I don't see a lot of sense in Ferrari supplying Red Bull with their A-spec engine (ie the same engine that Ferrari uses) if there's only going to be a collaboration for 2 years. This conundrum may delay the Audi announcement, until Red Bull can secure a competitive engine for next year.
Ferrari aren't exactly 'pro competition' anyway. They were never going to give RB an A-spec engine because the RB chassis is always excellent. Even though it wouldn't be as good next year due to the packaging I'd still (and I bet Ferrari are fearful of this) back them to make a better overall package and beat Ferrari.

Ferrari aren't exactly 'pro competition' anyway. They were never going to give RB an A-spec engine because the RB chassis is always excellent. Even though it wouldn't be as good next year due to the packaging I'd still (and I bet Ferrari are fearful of this) back them to make a better overall package and beat Ferrari.

Good point - I completely agree. The question becomes one of which version of their engine Red Bull gets. In these days of development tokens and homologation rules it would probably be difficult for Ferrari to built too many version of what is basically the same engine.

At the start of the year I heard that Manor were being supplied with engines that were a year old and I'm pretty sure that is what Red Bull are trying to avoid. That being said, development does have it's limitation and eventually the improvements become smaller and smaller. The current version of the Ferrari engine (the one used by Ferrari in the last few races) is probably at least what Red Bull want to go into next season with and then the question become one of what the power difference is between that engine and the 2016 version.

The competitiveness of a Ferrari Red Bull must be better than a Renault Red Bull though.....

Good point - I completely agree. The question becomes one of which version of their engine Red Bull gets. In these days of development tokens and homologation rules it would probably be difficult for Ferrari to built too many version of what is basically the same engine.

At the start of the year I heard that Manor were being supplied with engines that were a year old and I'm pretty sure that is what Red Bull are trying to avoid. That being said, development does have it's limitation and eventually the improvements become smaller and smaller. The current version of the Ferrari engine (the one used by Ferrari in the last few races) is probably at least what Red Bull want to go into next season with and then the question become one of what the power difference is between that engine and the 2016 version.

The competitiveness of a Ferrari Red Bull must be better than a Renault Red Bull though.....
Certainly better than the Red Bull-Flintstone they'll be running otherwise. :p

Sergio Perez is set to be unveiled as the second Lotus driver for 2016, Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport is reporting on Tuesday.
Even though the Renault buyout is said to be imminent, it is believed Frenchman Romain Grosjean is departing the Enstone team for Haas-Ferrari.
At the same time, Mexican Perez was thought to be staying at Force India next year, but the Silverstone based team has confirmed only Nico Hulkenberg for 2016 so far.
Also a former McLaren and Sauber driver, 25-year-old Perez retains strong Mexican backing, headed by the well-known billionaire Carlos Slim.
Lotus has already announced that Pastor Maldonado, the controversial Venezuelan driver with reportedly $50 million in PDVSA backing in tow, is staying in 2016.
A vacancy at Mercedes-powered Force India could pave the way for German Pascal Wehrlein to make his F1 debut, although the DTM driver has also been linked with Manor.

Lol Force India just confirmed he's staying for 2016. Good job La Gazetta.
LOL - quality Italian journalism!!

here's the confirmed seats for 2016. The names in brackets are the current drivers for the team.

Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 - Nico Rosberg, Lewis Hamilton
Scuderia Ferrari - Sebastian Vettel, Kimi Räikkönen
Williams Martini Racing - Felipe Massa, Valtteri Bottas
Infiniti Red Bull Racing - Daniel Ricciardo, TBA (Daniil Kvyat)
Sahara Force India F1 Team - Sergio Pérez, Nico Hülkenberg
Lotus F1 Team - Romain Grosjean, Pastor Maldonado
Scuderia Toro Rosso - Max Verstappen, TBA (Carlos Sainz, Jr.)
Sauber F1 Team - Marcus Ericsson, TBA (Felipe Nasr)
McLaren Honda - Fernando Alonso, TBA (Jenson Button_
Manor Marussia F1 Team - TBA, TBA (Will Stevens, Roberto Merhi, Alexander Rossi)
Haas F1 Team - TBA, TBA

Note: Manor is not confirmed for the 2016 Championship yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting look at what's going on with the whole McLaren/Button scenario by Mark Hughes

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24...is-winning-mclaren-poker-game-with-ron-dennis

tl;dr version:
  • Button signed a 2 year contract with McLaren, it was backloaded as is quite common in F1. £6M for 2015, £12M for 2016.
  • There's a clause in the contract which allows the team to nullify the contract if it feels the driver has underperformed. Again, not unusual.
  • McLaren want to keep Jenson since the sponsors are desperate for him to stay. His marketability is still high in an underperforming car, compared to a rookie (Vandoorne/K-Mag) in an underperforming car who'd have very little marketability.
  • McLaren budgeted for a finish of ~5th in the Constructors Championship. They're likely to finish 9th, a significant gap in terms of prize money.
  • Dennis is wanting to renegotiate Button's contract for next year for a significantly smaller salary to try and cover the prize money shortfall. An increase of £6M is now looking huge.
  • McLaren have to inform Button by September 30 if they intend to nullify the contract, and thus renegotiate it.
  • Button can call their bluff by, if they nullify his contract, saying "right, stuff it, I'm off" and retiring. Which McLaren ultimately don't want, and the sponsors definitely don't want.
So that's what's up. Button's using the media to perfection to try and scare McLaren. Now we'll just have to see how it plays out.

Revised calendar released:

20 March
australia-2.jpg
Melbourne
3 April
bahrain-2.jpg
Bahrain
17 April
china-2.jpg
Shanghai
1 May
russia-2.jpg
Sochi
15 May
spain-2.jpg
Barcelona
29 May
monaco-2.jpg
Monte Carlo
12 June
canada-2.jpg
Montreal
19 June
azerbaijan-2.jpg
Baku
3 July
austria-2.jpg
Spielberg
10 July
united_kingdom-2.jpg
Silverstone
24 July
hungary-2.jpg
Budapest
31 July
germany-4.jpg
Hockenheim
28 August
belgium-2.jpg
Spa-Francorchamps
4 September
italy-2.jpg
Monza
18 September
singapore-2.jpg
Singapore
2 October
malaysia-2.jpg
Sepang
9 October
japan-2.jpg
Suzuka
23 October
united_states-2.jpg
Austin
6 November
mexico-2.jpg
Mexico City
13 November
brazil-2.jpg
Sao Paolo
27 November Abu Dhabi

Bahrain-Shanghai-Russia remains a three race magical mystery tour.
Europe clashes with Le Mans
Silverstone clashes with Wimbledon's final weekend
21 races is ridiculous

Last edited:
Revised calendar released:

20 March
australia-2.jpg
Melbourne
3 April
bahrain-2.jpg
Bahrain
17 April
china-2.jpg
Shanghai
1 May
russia-2.jpg
Sochi
15 May
spain-2.jpg
Barcelona
29 May
monaco-2.jpg
Monte Carlo
12 June
canada-2.jpg
Montreal
19 June
azerbaijan-2.jpg
Baku
3 July
austria-2.jpg
Spielberg
10 July
united_kingdom-2.jpg
Silverstone
24 July
hungary-2.jpg
Budapest
31 July
germany-4.jpg
Hockenheim
28 August
belgium-2.jpg
Spa-Francorchamps
4 September
italy-2.jpg
Monza
18 September
singapore-2.jpg
Singapore
2 October
malaysia-2.jpg
Sepang
9 October
japan-2.jpg
Suzuka
23 October
united_states-2.jpg
Austin
6 November
mexico-2.jpg
Mexico City
13 November
brazil-2.jpg
Sao Paolo
27 November Abu Dhabi

Bahrain-Shanghai-Russia remains a three race magical mystery tour.
Europe clashes with Le Man
Silverstone clashes with Wimbledon's final weekend
21 races is ridiculous
It won't be 21. Something will drop.

image.jpg

I was playing around with Gran Turismo's Course Maker app and decided to make what I would like to see if Phillip Island was made into a F1 spec circuit. My aim was to keep all parts of the existing circuit available. Chicanes at first and last corners put in place to slow the cars down, as F1 cars around those corners would be frighteningly fast. The straight on the back of the track is to add a second DRS zone to the track, as that seems to be almost standard at tracks now.

Sorry mods if this is in the wrong thread, I wasn't sure if I should've made a new thread entirely

Remove this Banner Ad

Back