Analysis Forward Line Structure 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a Psycho

Senior List
Jan 15, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Unashamedly stolen from the Carlton board.
I was wondering what everyone thought would be our best forward structure heading into the upcoming season. What blend of young and old KPFs will we have? Who gets a gig rotating across our seemingly crammed HFFs? Where does the resting ruck play?
For my two bobs worth I believe Staker will play at FF and take the best defender leaving Close to run upfield at CHF. Martin to play predominantly forward due to him being that little bit more versatile than Leuy. Green to play close to the sticks, with players such as Mayes, Zorko, Christensen, Robinson resting up on the flanks.

I think our best bet is to have a forward line which is less static. If we have a positive, it is that our big guys are all more mobile than your average defender. I think we should use that and have all of our marking forwards work up and back at various times.

We dont have dominate big game changing forwards. But our talls are athletic and mobile. Use that to our advantage, keep the forward line moving making it harder for defenders to lock them down and create space and seperation. Close, Staker, Martin, Bergs, these are all guys with decent engines. They are well supporter by a midfield that can give them good supply and good ground level players to mop up loose crumbs.

It can. But i think we will back our mids to be able to hit up our forwards. If they are mobile it should help keep them as one on one contests, and then the mids just need to have a look and hit up the right target...

Upon saying that, we will likely do something completely different.

I think our best bet is to have a forward line which is less static. If we have a positive, it is that our big guys are all more mobile than your average defender. I think we should use that and have all of our marking forwards work up and back at various times.
I think this is what could get Jackson Paine in the round 1 team. If we have another forward with a great engine and good contested marking (though he didn't show this last season) then it's going to create some mismatches and space in our forward 50. We also need as many guys as possible who can create a contest for our terrific small players to crumb.

Need to get the Zorks and Squiz to crumb a bit more efficiently and to time and position themselves correctly. Green is fairly good at this but needs to get the ball as much as the other mozzies. I think our talls have to be more mobile. Only Freeman I can see as being a monster at this stage to be able to take contested marks consistently.

Would love to see staker play an entire season without being injured. As he is the perfect filler, until we actually find a genuine forward target.

Would love to see staker play an entire season without being injured. As he is the perfect filler, until we actually find a genuine forward target.

Not_Sure_if_Serious_meme_zpsfeb2a0b5.jpg

If our mids pay to their potential; we should go a lot better than many scribes are expecting. Out forward line has some really solid talent in it:

upload_2015-2-23_18-16-47.png

I think one of Leppa's main aims is to reduce the number of games that we score below 60pts (we had 7 in 2014). We had another 6 score between 61 and 70pts. 13 games (2 wins -11 losses) 70 points or under is horrid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back