Four Corners Tonight: Live Greyhound Blooding

Remove this Banner Ad

This story could have been run 10,20 or 30 years ago - It's also an issue that all racing codes are under attack from Animal Welfare Groups - The industry needs to remain united.

So what? Just beccause it could have previously been ran, does that mean it shouldn't now? is there a statute of limitations with regard to investigative reporting?

Racing codes are under attack because witht the greys they get caught giving live game to dogs (Jenny Hunt even gives them meth), in the horses they use colbolt and think that by pulling up a white sheet people don't think the horse is being shot, and in the harness there is doping too and also just watch the pink and yellow colours up Mildura (Cramp).

Animal libs don't cause these things, they simply use them to support their arguments.

'The industry remaining united' is what has caused this mess in the first case. As i mentioned before there is no way in the world that the greyhound authorities and the national authority did not know live baiting was occurring however they chose to ignore it. This type of mentality of protecting the bottom line will only cause the heartache to become worse as we are seeing now.

So what? Just beccause it could have previously been ran, does that mean it shouldn't now? is there a statute of limitations with regard to investigative reporting?

Racing codes are under attack because witht the greys they get caught giving live game to dogs (Jenny Hunt even gives them meth), in the horses they use colbolt and think that by pulling up a white sheet people don't think the horse is being shot, and in the harness there is doping too and also just watch the pink and yellow colours up Mildura (Cramp).

Animal libs don't cause these things, they simply use them to support their arguments.
Saying that Jenny Hunt gives her dogs meth is like saying there were only a couple of people caught in the live baiting scandal. It's propaganda, ie, bs. Jenny hunt has had A dog return a positive for meth and there's no evidence that she GAVE it to that dog. All that's happened is that the dog was found to have it in it's urine. It could have come from anyone that came in contact with the dog leading up to the race and yes she'll have to pay the penalty because that's what's in the rules.

'The industry remaining united' is what has caused this mess in the first case. As i mentioned before there is no way in the world that the greyhound authorities and the national authority did not know live baiting was occurring however they chose to ignore it. This type of mentality of protecting the bottom line will only cause the heartache to become worse as we are seeing now.

Had you heard rumours of live baiting happening before last week TB? I've had many people outside of greyhound racing tell me that it happens but they did nothing and are equally as guilty (if that's the right word) of ignoring it as anyone else. I've been involved in the sport for quite a few years, including trialling and racing dogs, and had never seen it, only heard rumours without names attached. Rumours are rumours. Having said that it's likely that people had seen it happen without participating and done nothing either and they should be held accountable as should the people involved, and I'm not saying they don't deserve the full force of the law being thrown at them.

Saying that Jenny Hunt gives her dogs meth is like saying there were only a couple of people caught in the live baiting scandal. It's propaganda, ie, bs. Jenny hunt has had A dog return a positive for meth and there's no evidence that she GAVE it to that dog. All that's happened is that the dog was found to have it in it's urine. It could have come from anyone that came in contact with the dog leading up to the race and yes she'll have to pay the penalty because that's what's in the rules.

Had you heard rumours of live baiting happening before last week TB? I've had many people outside of greyhound racing tell me that it happens but they did nothing and are equally as guilty (if that's the right word) of ignoring it as anyone else. I've been involved in the sport for quite a few years, including trialling and racing dogs, and had never seen it, only heard rumours without names attached. Rumours are rumours. Having said that it's likely that people had seen it happen without participating and done nothing either and they should be held accountable as should the people involved, and I'm not saying they don't deserve the full force of the law being thrown at them.

Absolutely I did, I too was involved in the industry in the past in South Australia as a owner-trainer, albeit some 15 or so years ago. Live baiting was common then and it seems that has not changed since. I will even put my hand up and say that I have allowed some of my greyhounds to chase and kill feral rabbits north of Adelaide. The dog was allowed to eat most of the rabbit and then the remains were wrapped up in plastic and buried with the raceday muzzle. Whilst it may be conceived as a cruel practice, this was done in the bush and the animals were not tied up in any way, they were chased and hunted. Looking back now I probably would not have done it but it was considered standard practice at the time.

A Victorian Greyhound trainer got 9 months in 2009 for live baiting, though the dogs were transferred to his wife - No follow up in the media at that time - Each of the thoroughbred,harness racing and greyhound industries have their issues - They need to be singing from the same page because the Animal Welfare Industry are canny operators - Its no time for any to try to score cheap political points - They need to be united.
The difference between other times and now is that there is terrible footage of the baiting. Given the outrage, I doubt any trainer would risk it for a while if at all. I don't mind the dishlickers but if they ended it I wouldn't be too upset. If it is as everyone says "common practice" then will there be a desire for dogs to chase if they don't get given a "kill" ? {i am no expert on this}.

The difference between other times and now is that there is terrible footage of the baiting. Given the outrage, I doubt any trainer would risk it for a while if at all. I don't mind the dishlickers but if they ended it I wouldn't be too upset. If it is as everyone says "common practice" then will there be a desire for dogs to chase if they don't get given a "kill" ? {i am no expert on this}.
It starts at the breeding stage HCB. There are bloodlines/dogs that chase and those that don't and it's the ones that do that should be bred with while the other type are bred out.

Ridiculous call - this is a little different from a horse falling in a jumps race or breaking down on the flat!

Live baiting is a recent phenomenon - No Greyhound trainers have previously been suspended for live baiting - The story does nothing, except create short term pain for a few - Live baiting will still continue.

Footage that could have been got 30 or 40 years ago - Posters fail to appreciate that Animal Welfare Industry want to ban greyhounds, gallops and harness - The industry needs to remain united.

Footage that could have been got 30 or 40 years ago - Posters fail to appreciate that Animal Welfare Industry want to ban greyhounds, gallops and harness - The industry needs to remain united.

Ok Jefferson Davis

Still does not make it right. If the industry wants to survive maybe it should try to stamp out this sort of behavior, if there is no reason for the sport to get banned, it will not get banned. Simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I listened to his interview on SEN, which was very good.

For a gentleman with no industry experience prior to being made Chairman he achieved a lot for the industry.

He resigned, quite rightly because this was brought up while he was the Chair and so to give the industry some clear air and the media a sacrificial lamb.

In the interview he was consistent that in his time as Chair, the issue of live baiting was NEVER brought to them as an issue either real, perceived or rumoured.

To my mind that says more about the operations of the Greyhounds than any failings on the boards behalf. The people at the coal face must have had some concerns, if not how did 4 Corners expose 3 operations in 3 different states on a very limited budget?

The fact that an organisation with a low budget (AA found it and they alerted RSPCA and 4 corners then became their propaganda machine) was able to get the footage is neither here nor there as firstly the racing authorities are not legally allowed to do what they did and secondly a volunteer organisation like AA may not have much money but it has manpower. How would GRV go if they had thousands of employees in their welfare department all trying to find wrongdoings in the sport? Add to that the fact that many of these people are zealots and it's quite a force to be reckoned with.

They are not alike. One is possible, the other is plainly incorrect. The dog is unlikely to have obtained the meth itself, and even if it did it would be unlikey without opposable thumbs that the dog would have the abiity to shoot up.

It could have been her husband though as he pulled a pipe while working the dogs in the morning, but given his previous recorded involvment with drugs allegedly relates not the use of drugs, just their supply this seems unlikely.

Whereas, we know more than a couple of people have been caught Re live baiting, close to 20, which is unquestionably more than a couple.

See how one is possible and the other is wrong? Just like saying one G Bate could still be training many of the dogs in the Hunt kennel (possible) and Bate never cheated (wrong).

As you say, it's her kennel, the rules state she's responsible. Hope they have another family member to move the dogs into when she gets done.

As I said, saying she GIVES her DOGS meth is propaganda. You stated it as a fact when it's clearly not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back