FTA-TV Fox Footy 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Got Fox Footy ahead of the 2013 season, and here is how the programming has changed:

There's actually a lot more on now than in 2013, but it's packaged more around games. You've forgotten to note that they've added Friday Night Footy and Saturday Live on Fox. While not technically stand-alone shows they would still require significant resources and both pull an audience.

Last edited:
Anyone else think they should introduce a Match of the Day style program ala the English Premier League on BBC?

Pretty sure they used to have it in the 80s but for those that aren't aware of the English formate basically there's a 5-10 minute highlights package of each game followed by post match interviews and analysis from a panel of pundits. It's a great way to keep up with the weekend's action when you actually haven't had the chance to see the round of footy. Think of it as the old 'The Winners' hosted by Clinton Grybas but with analysis after the games.

Sandy, Huddo and Dunstall are the few shining lights in the Fox commentary box for me.

I wasn't even aware Sandy commentated, just happened to hear him commentate today in the doggies match. The fact he didn't commentate for the full length of a quarter was great. He commentate the play, but that was it. He didn't try to add s**t in when there was nothing to add. Commentators should take note from him on how footy should be commentated.

Sandy, Huddo and Dunstall are the few shining lights in the Fox commentary box for me.

I wasn't even aware Sandy commentated, just happened to hear him commentate today in the doggies match. The fact he didn't commentate for the full length of a quarter was great. He commentate the play, but that was it. He didn't try to add s**t in when there was nothing to add. Commentators should take note from him on how footy should be commentated.
Sandy is old school - calls the game without the zany s**t and stupid nicknames

Peter Landy, Lou Richards, Sandy Roberts.
Examples of the KISS principle of commentary being the most effective.

Seven's Big League from the 1980's.
90 minutes of highlights from the day's VFL (5 to 6 games) hosted by Peter Landy. Succinct, on point and simple.
The best example of how to produce informative and relevant television.

I couldn't give a stuff about David King's opinion or his fancy boards. Over analysis of today's football bores the **** off me.

Sandy is old school - calls the game without the zany s**t and stupid nicknames
Its refreshing. There were gaps of silence instead of "I'm gonna drop my repetitive 2 cents here to fill space".

How much do you reckon he'd want to be in a permenant 3 man rotating team with Dennis and Huddo for every game of every round? Maybe Dunstall for special comments?

Peter Landy, Lou Richards, Sandy Roberts.
Examples of the KISS principle of commentary being the most effective.

Seven's Big League from the 1980's.
90 minutes of highlights from the day's VFL (5 to 6 games) hosted by Peter Landy. Succinct, on point and simple.
The best example of how to produce informative and relevant television.

I couldn't give a stuff about David King's opinion or his fancy boards. Over analysis of today's football bores the **** off me.
Agree with you on the doyens you listed.

But give me David King over Tony Shaw, Matthew Richardson, Tom Harley, Cameron Ling, or almost any other "special" commentators who are just in fact glorified 'readers of statistics', merely spouting figures first and then drawing conclusions: "Hawthorn has won eight more contested possessions for the game, so they're really going in hard". Please.

At least David King breaks the game open with more interesting insights and watches the game first, with analysis second.

Anyone else think they should introduce a Match of the Day style program ala the English Premier League on BBC?

Pretty sure they used to have it in the 80s but for those that aren't aware of the English formate basically there's a 5-10 minute highlights package of each game followed by post match interviews and analysis from a panel of pundits. It's a great way to keep up with the weekend's action when you actually haven't had the chance to see the round of footy. Think of it as the old 'The Winners' hosted by Clinton Grybas but with analysis after the games.
Yeah, or like the EPL Review Show currently on Fox Sports.

I don't know why they don't do it. You wouldn't think it would be that expensive to produce and they could repeat it a number of times throughout the week.

Did Sandy Roberts just have a stroke live on air? The highlights passage he's just gone through, got about 87% of the players names wrong and contradicted himself roughly 23 times.

Painful to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else think Bounce has become to repetitive and predictable? Pretty much follows the same script every week. Plus the ads about the timeslot are annoying as ****.

I really like the show, I think it's a fun, different finish to the weekend.

But over the last month that final segment of blokey narcissism has become insufferable.

I really like the show, I think it's a fun, different finish to the weekend.

But over the last month that final segment of blokey narcissism has become insufferable.
I agree, been a big fan of the show for several years, it is going backwards this year though..

Also hate how every segment has a sponsor these days.

What's the Back to the Future ad they're advertising about coming soon in July? Can't make the connection between footy and Marty Mcfly

What's the Back to the Future ad they're advertising about coming soon in July? Can't make the connection between footy and Marty Mcfly

Maybe an obscure reference to a heritage round of sorts? Maybe teams will wear woollen jumpers? Lace ups?

Looks like they're bringing back The Winners...

Ever since Phil Walsh (RIP) I've been keeping an eye on what they've done with Spud's coach killers. There was the "coach killer team of the year" that was a couple of weeks in when this happened. There was supposed to be a coach of the team, so you get why they quietly removed that straight away! The first episode back seemed really awkward when Jase mentioned it. Since then I think they just continued on normally with the name "coach killers" and doing what they used to, but on the weekend I noticed they changed it to "Spud's don't come Mondays". Obviously can see why they changed it, thought the timing was odd though, running with the normal name for a number of weeks after it all went down.

Found this interesting for some reason.

It sounded really odd as well, as it's been known as "Coach Killers" for so many years.

Ever since Phil Walsh (RIP) I've been keeping an eye on what they've done with Spud's coach killers. There was the "coach killer team of the year" that was a couple of weeks in when this happened. There was supposed to be a coach of the team, so you get why they quietly removed that straight away! The first episode back seemed really awkward when Jase mentioned it. Since then I think they just continued on normally with the name "coach killers" and doing what they used to, but on the weekend I noticed they changed it to "Spud's don't come Mondays". Obviously can see why they changed it, thought the timing was odd though, running with the normal name for a number of weeks after it all went down.

Found this interesting for some reason.

It sounded really odd as well, as it's been known as "Coach Killers" for so many years.
It didn't even click until I read this post as to why it changed names. I was really confused and couldn't work out why, but it makes sense. They could have come up with a better name though...

Fox Footy do nostalgia really badly. Initially I liked the concept of Chooseday Night Football but I've had enough of obscure games from not that long ago involving Collingwood, Carlton or a WA team. 30min Thrillers is now just picking a close game from last season involving two sides who play again this week. Sometimes it's an oft replayed final (Tomorrow it's the 2005 Semi Final between Sydney and Geelong). And The Winners Rebooted reminds me of how bad a show The Winners was - seemingly random snippets of a game skipping 5 or 6 minute intervals, showing meaningless segments of games where not much happened and then jumping to an hour later where nothing happens). The worst is the replaying of the entire season just gone on loop for the whole 6 months of the off season. Why not show some of the thousands of other games that would be on file?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back