Foxtel Cup 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

The SANFL sides that choose to play in this comp should field a strong side and have a go or not bother at all. Pathetic smug bullshit. I'm sure Westies supporters would have been really delighted with that effort.

I went to the game and had a good time....obviously.

I did say hello to some of the Wests fans that were there and complemented them of their passion and the fact that they went to the trouble of coming west to watch their boys play.
We all commiserated on how much the AFL has killed the WAFL and SANFL comps.

As far as West Adelaides performance was concerned, they just weren't there in the 2nd half.....as well as resting 8 players apparently.

Claremont did our usual it seems, rested about six of our league regulars, made up the numbers with ressies and AFL listed boys.

As far as Subiaco's performance against Port was concerned, I watched Port play Claremont last year. They may not be one of SA's better teams but they are a League level team. Subiaco are not the team they once were. After a great effort to even get to the Grand Final last year they had a raft of retirements.
They went to Adelaide and lost by 15 points. Move along, nothing to see here.

The West Adelaide side that was fielded today was not a representation of the side that has come 3rd. I don't know what the hell they were thinking but they were asking for it with so many out and it serves them right to be honest.

Good win by Claremont.

Must have been real embarrassing for the WAFL the other week that their 2nd placed side (Subiaco) lost to the SANFL's 8th placed side (Port Magpies)

Bit of a difference getting rolled by a couple of kicks in a competitive game and getting utterly massacred in a hugely one sided slaughter.

To put it in perspective, Ainslie were a hell of a lot more competitive than West Adelaide were.

I am completely over South Australian football. 1st they put in lower sides and then West Adelaide disgraced themselves and SA footy today. What they dished up today the teams here in QLD would have beaten.

I am over this "we will put a weak team in then we have an excuse for getting flogged rubbish". Claremont got it right and it is how all the strong teams should play it (VFL, WAFL, SANFL). First round rest 5-6 older boys and blood a few young guys that just may put in an eye catching performance to assist draft prospects. Still a strong enough team to win if you play well. As the competition progresses and depending on how its going in the state league maybe look to pick a stronger team or stick with what happened in round 1.

All other weaker comps, teams should play very close to their best team to have the best chance of not getting flogged.

The foxtel cup is a terrific opportunity for participating clubs and 60K for the winner is not to be sneezed at-not to mention the national exposure.

SANFL clubs should get over themselves.

SANFL clubs obviously don't rate the comp and probably feel they don't need a little 4 game gimmic feature to try and prove that they are the strongest competition outside of the AFL. While the FOXTEL cup is interesting and will have interest shown in it from audiences no matter who plays it is not prestigious and will lack serious effort from SANFL clubs.

SANFL clubs obviously don't rate the comp and probably feel they don't need a little 4 game gimmic feature to try and prove that they are the strongest competition outside of the AFL. While the FOXTEL cup is interesting and will have interest shown in it from audiences no matter who plays it is not prestigious and will lack serious effort from SANFL clubs.
Pretty much sums things up.
Attitudes have changed significantly from the days of the 70s/80s comps when the top SA sides participated in matches generally played mid week.

Since the SANFL became a 9 team comp in 1991, byes have generally become a welcome part of the season, allowing sides to get over niggling injuries and have a break. Sides seriously challenging for the flag simply aren't willing to change their "routine" too much for the FC.

Obviously that didn't seem to bother Claremont, but try telling that to conservative SA clubs and their fans (many of which are against the FC because it's controlled by the AFL).

I would have like to have seen Norwood play (eligible for both years of the comp), but I can see their reasons for passing.

Pretty much sums things up.
Attitudes have changed significantly from the days of the 70s/80s comps when the top SA sides participated in matches generally played mid week.

Since the SANFL became a 9 team comp in 1991, byes have generally become a welcome part of the season, allowing sides to get over niggling injuries and have a break. Sides seriously challenging for the flag simply aren't willing to change their "routine" too much for the FC.

Obviously that didn't seem to bother Claremont, but try telling that to conservative SA clubs and their fans (many of which are against the FC because it's controlled by the AFL).

I would have like to have seen Norwood play (eligible for both years of the comp), but I can see their reasons for passing.

Let's clarify something here - there were 9 changes to the Claremont team that played in the WAFL the week before. That should ram home how truly insipid and pathetic the West Adelaide effort was.

No-one expects any club in the big 3 leagues to put out their best 22, especially in the early rounds. But what happened yesterday doesn't benefit anyone. It just wastes everyone's time, and if that's the attitude then you have to wonder why West Adelaide bothered to accept the invitation to compete. Their club copped a massive shellacking on national television, and the competition would have been better off if they were replaced by a team from the Ovens and Murray League. At least they would have put in.

Let's clarify something here - there were 9 changes to the Claremont team that played in the WAFL the week before. That should ram home how truly insipid and pathetic the West Adelaide effort was.
I'm not going to defend Westies in the slightest.
They took a weak side and Andy Collins' gameplan (heavily criticised in SA) was fully exposed on the country's largest ground.
Collins is now coaching for his career and he took the coward's way out.

On a more positive note, I think you'll find South Adelaide take things more seriously. Their coach is more enthusiastic about the comp.

Their club copped a massive shellacking on national television, and the competition would have been better off if they were replaced by a team from the Ovens and Murray League. At least they would have put in.[/quote]

You're really not happy about this are you Rob?

How bout you build a bridge and get over it, the world hasn't ended!

It is what it is Rob

You're really not happy about this are you Rob?

How bout you build a bridge and get over it, the world hasn't ended!

It is what it is Rob

I think it's pathetic, and that sort of crap threatens the future of the competition.

Obviously you care as well, or else you wouldn't have clicked on this obscure board. Or else you're just sad.

I think it's pathetic, and that sort of crap threatens the future of the competition.

Obviously you care as well, or else you wouldn't have clicked on this obscure board. Or else you're just sad.

Nah I'm only whindin ya up,
you're dead right the competition will lack credibility and slowly deminish in interest if these selection decisions continue.
Port Adel have fielded a nowhere near full strength side as of yet and I take it Subiaco mustn't have either when the two sides met.
The competeion was created to show off the best of the best and this is not happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the Mt Gravatt game today I was very impressed with Nathan Gilliland #15.. What's his story? Looked a class above everyone else on the ground.

Watching the Mt Gravatt game today I was very impressed with Nathan Gilliland #15.. What's his story? Looked a class above everyone else on the ground.

Has won a league medal up here and has been a regular state player. Is a very good finisher. Is probably 28/29 now, and until today has struggled a bit so far this year.

Nt v Port Melb should be a cracker next week.

Port the better team but the humidity/home ground factor could keep Thunder in it.

Looks like South Adelaide are heading to the MCH with close to everything they have. In which case, we might actually get a good game.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/panthers-primed-for-mcg/story-e6freckc-1226352777720

SOUTH Adelaide has picked close to a full strength squad for its Foxtel Cup clash against Williamstown at the MCG on Saturday.

Toby Stribling, Tarak Redigolo, Justin Bollenhagen, Power-listed Cameron O'Shea and injured duo Lachlan Carey (hamstring, one week) and Todd McKay (knee, 6-8 weeks) are the only Panthers not travelling from the 21 who played against the Eagles last Friday night.

State squad members Michael Wundke, Andrew Ainger, Nick Liddle and Joel Cross will all front for South, as will Crows-listed Andy Otten.

They'll be joined by Brad Crabb, Ky Miller, Ben Casley, Cam De Visser, Alex Moyle, Ben Dowdell, Xavier Gotch and Scott Taylor who have all been promoted from the reserves.

Williamstown, which is affiliated with the Western Bulldogs, has named 11 AFL-listed players in its 22-man side and three more as emergencies.

Former Norwood junior Matt Panos will start at full forward for the Seagulls.

WILLIAMSTOWN v SOUTH ADELAIDE
MCG, SATURDAY, 10.30AM

Panthers
F: Moyle, Wundke, Ainger
HF: Miller, Casley, De Visser
C: Redden, Otten, Cross
HB: Veide, Bass, Houlihan
B: Sandery, Crabb, Brown
RUCK: Dowdell, Murphy, Liddle
INT: Gotch, Daniel, Taylor, Brooksby
EMERG: Hourigan

Seagulls
F: Dickson, Panos, Anastasio
HF: Conway, Hill, Wallis
C: Wall, Carr, McHarg
HB: Lockwood, Roberts, Pearce
B: Sing, Mulligan, Stockdale
RUCK: Giles, Smith, McNamara
INT: Moles, Hooper, Hoghton, Skinner
EMERG: Greenwood, Redpath, Jong

Congrats to South Adelaide for sending a strong team into the foxtel cup and getting the result today. This can be a terrific comp if clubs treat it with respect. It gives foxtel more content as well.

Who would be favourites now ! Claremont, South Adelaide, Port Melbourne (even though they haven't played ?).

I'm a South Adelaide man and we haven't won anything for years and years !

If an SA side could win the Foxtel Cup it might give it a shot in the arm and other SA clubs might sit up and take notice. South Adelaide playing on the MCG actually got some press back here in Adelaide and the South coach was quoted "its better for us to play a game rather then sit through a bye" which was opposite to other teams thinking !

Who would be favourites now ! Claremont, South Adelaide, Port Melbourne (even though they haven't played ?).

I'm a South Adelaide man and we haven't won anything for years and years !

If an SA side could win the Foxtel Cup it might give it a shot in the arm and other SA clubs might sit up and take notice. South Adelaide playing on the MCG actually got some press back here in Adelaide and the South coach was quoted "its better for us to play a game rather then sit through a bye" which was opposite to other teams thinking !

Port Melbourne might not make the next round. :eek:

A young side is being flown up to Darwin, as the best 8 players are being rested so they have a break before playing in the VFL state side next week in Hobart.

Teams for Saturday's Game

NT Thunder
B:Benjamin Rioli, Kelvin Williams, Kieren Smith
HB:Shannon Rusca, Kevin Vearncombe, Ashley Duncan
C:patrick Heenan, Jake Dignan, Braedon Mclean
HF:Jed Anderson, Damien Williams, Christopher Dunne
F:Gerrard Cunningham, Darren Ewing, Paul Campbell
Foll:Kenrick Tyrrell, Matt Rosier, Jack McEwin
I/C: Dean Staunton, Tavis Perry, Jarrod Stokes, Jayden Prior
Emg:Lachlan Argus, William Kossack

Port Melbourne
B:Stephen Brewer, Daniel Noonan, Jake Dermott