Foxtel's 'Recruit'

Remove this Banner Ad

Codenamed the "Mark Williams Project".

That first drug test would be a beauty.

"James said it would be all right....everyone is doing it here"

So all clubs have access to the winner, but what if no club wants him? Is the club with the last pick in the rookie draft forced to take him or something?

IIRC the winner ends up with a spot on the GWS rookie list. Will be an interesting show to watch.

The Chief to host maybe?

The next best bit would be the speech on party drugs, where *injunction * and *injunction* and *injunction* would get a mention.

Oh noes.

If there's some actual talent discovered from the show it'd be pretty cool.

Hopefully it's similar to the Ultimate Fighter.

Why the hate? Love the idea of a young gun coming down from the country and giving it a crack, and being successful. It's unlikely, but would be an awesome story if it happened.
Stupid reality tv format for the show. That's why there is a lot of hate. I don't even watch reality tv.

Will they do the American Idol style thing where they do a couple of shows worth of auditions and show all the hacks and chumps who never had a hope, but all their parents/friends/coaches told them that they are special?

A William Hung style effort with a guy who can't handball to save himself, or keeps stubbing his toe when kicking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a little interesting.

Michael Voss knocks back assistant coach offers to star in Foxtel reality show The Recruit

MICHAEL Voss wants to catapult an amateur footballer from the bush leagues into the big time.

The former Brisbane Lions coach has cast aside assistant coaching opportunities in the AFL to become the senior coach in Foxtel's groundbreaking football reality show "The Recruit".

Voss, is taking a "wait and see" approach to continuing his career at the highest level, having waved off chances to talk to clubs recently, and is content to use his wealth of experience to help unearth a future star.

Next year he will put a group of about 12 applicants through a series of rigorous physical and mental examinations to find a winner capable of mixing it with the game's stars.

The son of a mate went through the intense selection process for this show last Sunday. 120 applicants were chosen to try out, of which 30 will be selected for the show. It is my understanding that at the end of the show 15 players will be selected and entered into the draft(s) (national/rookie) where minimum 3 will be selected on a guaranteed 2 year contract with the club. If good enough all 15 can be selected by any/all clubs.

It is my understanding that the talent on show was excellent, with players from a wide variety of leagues present who all believe they're good enough to be on an AFL list, but for whatever reason (issues, not being seen, overlooked, size etc) have never made it into the AFL landscape.

The 30 will be notified over the coming month, with filming to commence in mid March.

How does it work if the best 3/15 are all rubbish? Does GCFC/GWS get an extra list spot and take them? Serious question.

How does it work if the best 3/15 are all rubbish? Does GCFC/GWS get an extra list spot and take them? Serious question.

Nobody gets any extra list spots... you're all making the mistake of assuming that these guys are going 1,2 & 3 in any of the drafts (ie: GC or GWS)... the likes of St Kilda, Bulldogs, Dees, Tiges or anyone might look at some of these guys for late round national or rookie draft picks. There is talent there... ALL clubs have signed off on this.

No I'm doing the exact opposite and assuming they're terrible. Just cause all the clubs have signed off on it doesn't mean when it gets to the pointy end they're in.

I'm finding it hard to believe there's guys out there who are over the age of 20 and haven't played in the state leagues in the past two years, yet still have AFL aspirations and could be good enough to play AFL. You'd think if you were that age and you still believed you were good enough, you'd at least try out for a state league side. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hardly anyone gets picked up from suburban or country footy leagues these days, do they?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back