Fracking and earthquakes

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like a movie but is apparently happening in the midwest US.

Earthquakes linked to fracking in Oklahoma
Fracking brought quick money to Oklahoma, but the state's once dormant seismic activity has awakened with a vengeance since the drilling started.
When fracking started in Oklahoma, things went the way they had in the other oil-boom states. Trucks and men flooded in. They raised dust, clogged the roads, cleared scrub and sucked up water for the drilling. But the money flowed back thick and fast and many of the locals in a state long friendly with the oil industry decided they could live with the discomfort.
Then the earthquakes started. The number of perceptible earthquakes leapt from an average of two each year to 567 last year – an increase of 28,250 per cent between 2009 when the fracking began and last year.
Earthquakes linked to fracking in Oklahoma

The recent earthquake in Qld ... near bundaberg I think was speculated as mining related

Also SANTOS fracking affecting the artesian water in the pillaga forest in central west nsw

Until the 'experts' know what they're doing ... Frack off

I was only reading about this s**t the other day. It just baffles me that we allow this to happen. Pump carcinogenic s**t back into the earth and risk it leaching into our groundwater.

But noooooooo its safe say the mining consortiums.

* off greedy campaigners

I was only reading about this s**t the other day. It just baffles me that we allow this to happen. Pump carcinogenic s**t back into the earth and risk it leaching into our groundwater.

But noooooooo its safe say the mining consortiums.

**** off greedy campaigners

And yet we drive cars. Balance is needed, but it is always beyond our grasp

http://www.smh.com.au/business/mini...e-than-its-worth-for-agl-20150313-1421wi.html

In a bid to ensure its message got home, Hunter Water sent letters to AGL in February and September 2014 spelling out its rejection of CSG wastewater. "Hunter Water is not to be approached as a potential disposal source for groundwater from the Gloucester Gas Project," one letter read.

Imagine Hunter Water's surprise, then, when it got a phone call from AGL's contractor, Transpacific Industries, in October requesting disposal of a large volume of wastewater. The contractor was cagey about the source of the waste – it also serves Santos with its pilot field in the Gunnedah basin near Narrabri – but it just happened to match precisely the amount AGL had sought to dispose at the end of 2013.

After days of trying to get through to AGL's "responsible person", Hunter Water demanded – and received – reassurance that the waste wasn't going to be released in its sewer system "under the cover of darkness", as one agency employee described it.

Instead, it was more like broad daylight.

Anti-CSG activists monitoring AGL's four pilot wells near the town of Gloucester knew AGL had refused to disclose where it was taking the fracked wastewater. And so they trailed the first two large Transpacific tankers, often at high speed along country roads, all the way to Newcastle, and raised the alarm.

Hunter Water officials were stunned by AGL's brazen actions – and then bemused by the lack of contrition when it was sprung. It is understood AGL threatened Hunter Water with legal action in private, while in public blaming Transpacific.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/mini...th-for-agl-20150313-1421wi.html#ixzz3UdcllNaY

Not sure if I am glad the oil price is dropping. On the one hand it is forcing the marginal operators out of the market. On the other - it is providing a strong incentive to cut further corners like this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back