Franklin V Roughead

Franklin V Roughead

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy's best is better. Roughy's more consistant. Although for some reason Roughy can't step up in finals. Buddy relies too much on athletisicm and is declining imo while Roughy should be able to maintain is best for a few more years. At the end of their careers I think Buddy will be thought of as the better player but Roughy from here on end will be better

Franklin 9.8% better.

Seriously though, Roughead had a great year and really stood up when we needed him too. His flexibility to be able to go into the middle and use his strength to hack the ball forward was a great asset for us. Buddy on the other hand missed a fair few games and still had decent output. From the stands I also felt Buddy's work off the ball had declined a lot compared to 2012. Perhaps he was carrying an injury. Buddy clearly is the better player, draws multiple defenders to him which frees up others and makes him extremely valuable in anyone's forward line. For the Hakws Roughead is probably a more valuable asset just because of his versatility but Buddy is the better and more dangerous forward

Buddy's best is better. Roughy's more consistant. Although for some reason Roughy can't step up in finals. Buddy relies too much on athletisicm and is declining imo while Roughy should be able to maintain is best for a few more years. At the end of their careers I think Buddy will be thought of as the better player but Roughy from here on end will be better

Interesting reading through some of the comments on this thread. At the time Buddy's thumbs were shot, his contested marking was down and Roughead was on fire. Things can change very quickly in football.

Is Roughead carrying an injury this year?

Interesting reading through some of the comments on this thread. At the time Buddy's thumbs were shot, his contested marking was down and Roughead was on fire. Things can change very quickly in football.

I have no idea, but over the past month he hasn't been anywhere near it. Last night, even when he went up the ground through the middle and across half back, he couldn't take the ball cleanly. I don't know if it's confidence, not reading the play well, or an injury. He seems to be moving okay.

Buddy is the best player of his era IMO, and that includes GAJ and Judd. It's just a lot harder to dominate as a key forward.

Re the post you quoted by Stratton Gun, I think in terms of consistency, that Buddy has been the most consistent forward in the game since about 2007. Rough is an awesome player but Buddy is the best and most consistent forward of his era..........and easily too.

I have no idea, but over the past month he hasn't been anywhere near it. Last night, even when he went up the ground through the middle and across half back, he couldn't take the ball cleanly. I don't know if it's confidence, not reading the play well, or an injury. He seems to be moving okay.

Yeah, seems to be moving fine, but it's not like it's anything to do with Franklin missing from the team either considering the form he was in last season. Still only 28 too so should be in his prime.

No he looks able bodied but is just playing poorly

Buddy is the best player of his era IMO, and that includes GAJ and Judd. It's just a lot harder to dominate as a key forward.

Re the post you quoted by Stratton Gun, I think in terms of consistency, that Buddy has been the most consistent forward in the game since about 2007. Rough is an awesome player but Buddy is the best and most consistent forward of his era..........and easily too.

Riewoldt has been pretty damn consistent for about a decade now so to say buddy is easily the most consistent is just false.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally would prefer Roughead. More team orientated and versatile. If he's having a poor day up forward he can have a real impact in the middle. Less worries off-field. Better contested mark and is really agile (although still not at the same level of Franklin).

Franklin can definitely do the freak stuff but I've always been a fan of Roughead.

I personally would prefer Roughead. More team orientated and versatile. If he's having a poor day up forward he can have a real impact in the middle. Less worries off-field. Better contested mark and is really agile (although still not at the same level of Franklin).

Franklin can definitely do the freak stuff but I've always been a fan of Roughead.

Roughead a better contested mark than Franklin? Roughead would struggle to take a contested mark against Puopolo this season. If Roughead is poor up forward he can go in midfield and do well for himself. Franklin gets rid of that problem altogether by not playing poorly up forward.

One is a star of his era and the other is a star of all time. Roughead's versatility adds value to him but you would have to go with the most dominant key forward of the last few years. Buddy consistently pulls goals out of nowhere and does things that only others can dream of doing. By the end of his career Buddy will be in the talks for best of his era, Roughead won't.

Buddy is better, Roughy is very good still but Franklin's athleticism and skills is rarely seen in a player his size

In 2008 I said if I had to pick between them I would take Roughy and my opinion has not changed.

Franklin over his career has lost just as many game as he has won "off his own boot" people just don't remember them. Roughy though may not as won as many games off his own boot as Buddy, however I cannot think of many, if any, games he lost off his own boot.

In 2008 I said if I had to pick between them I would take Roughy and my opinion has not changed.

Franklin over his career has lost just as many game as he has won "off his own boot" people just don't remember them. Roughy though may not as won as many games off his own boot as Buddy, however I cannot think of many, if any, games he lost off his own boot.

Yeah, nah.

How many has Buddy actually lost 'off his own boot?'

Yeah, nah.

How many has Buddy actually lost 'off his own boot?'
You actually want me to go through 200 odd games and pick out the ones he played a part in Hawks loosing? To quote you "Yeah, nah". Surely if you watched Hawks between 2007 and 2013 you would remember some of them. However I do not feel strongly enough about this to argue so I am out.

Sadly had to vote for Franklin. Love roughy, but if you want a player to drag you across the line in a high pressure game, buddy is your man (almost) every time (his Sydney audition in 2012 GF a rare exception). Even more obvious now he is at Sydney who lack other match winners. Quiet a few games Buddy has got them over the line when everything looked lost. The *er.

Except he can't kick on his non-preferred or take contested and overhead marks consistently.

Or hit the side of a barn-door in a Grand Final when it counts most.

Franklin is/was obviously the better player, but I'd rather Roughead in my team, on team balance/flexibility alone.

Back