Frawley to Join Hawks. (Pick 3 to the Dees)

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
And all us who barrack for Melbourne can just rot? It is not our fault either. We have had one AA player in the last eight years and the Premiers just cherry picked him for unders because of rules that came in after he was signed.
Yes Melbourne are in a rough patch at the moment, which is of their own doing.

Perhaps Frawley is scarred by how Melbourne handled guys like Bruce and McDonald as they aged.

If a club doesn't provide a good environment for players then they will leave.

Melbourne fans need to stick fat, whilst demanding excellence from those at the club instead of the adopting a defeatist view that the system is against them and they need special assistance.

Foxx1

Senior List
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
FFS! He's not that great a player and most astute people on here would realise that he wouldn't be earning crazy big money at Hawthorn. Shaun f**king Higgins will probabaly getting a decent wedge at North or where ever he ends up, will we all bitch and moan then? Loving the Sydney trolls, this is so different to the Franklin deal, the 10 year contract for buddy was the icing on an extremely corrupt cake and is the big difference.

GHardeman

Team Captain
May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yes Melbourne are in a rough patch at the moment, which is of their own doing.

Perhaps Frawley is scarred by how Melbourne handled guys like Bruce and McDonald as they aged.

If a club doesn't provide a good environment for players then they will leave.

Melbourne fans need to stick fat, whilst demanding excellence from those at the club instead of the adopting a defeatist view that the system is against them and they need special assistance.
No. Some of it is of the previous administration's doing and some of it is unfortunate circumstance. There have been plenty of mistakes made at Melbourne, but they are now getting punished on the field and in the court of popular opinion for decisions made years ago by people who have been discredited and gone. Is the Mitch Clark situation Melbourne's fault? Could they have done anything else to help the guy out? I am not saying it is all bad luck but Bruce and McDonald are a few years ago, Free Agency was brought in in 2012. It has cost Melbourne its only AA player for unders. That is not Melbourne's fault.

GHardeman

Team Captain
May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
FFS! He's not that great a player and most astute people on here would realise that he wouldn't be earning crazy big money at Hawthorn. Shaun f**king Higgins will probabaly getting a decent wedge at North or where ever he ends up, will we all bitch and moan then? Loving the Sydney trolls, this is so different to the Franklin deal, the 10 year contract for buddy was the icing on an extremely corrupt cake and is the big difference.
He is actually a very good player. Whatever you are paying you are lucky to have him. He matches up really well on Hawkins and other behemoths and often he plays in games where teams get 70 inside 50s and the forward he is on is quiet. Don't underestimate him. Most people have not seen very much of him because he plays for Melbourne and they are not particularly watchable, but he is fast courageous and capable. I am filthy about the circumstances in which he left (changed FA rules) but this guy can play.

Foxx1

Senior List
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not sure what all the fuss is about. Has Frawley played a decent game in the past 4 years? Feel sad for him that he is going to a Club about to commence its slide, with its best players about to face mortality and very little quality below. But I guess anything is better than staying at Melbourne.

Pretty rich coming from a fan of the wobbles. But speaking of slides, Bucks is the one pushing your club down one, you blokes need to fix that up stat.

GHardeman

Team Captain
May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pretty rich coming from a fan of the wobbles. But speaking of slides, Bucks is the one pushing your club down one, you blokes need to fix that up stat.
The evaluation is not true either. This guy is a very good footballer, who matches up well. He is unwatched by many, they just look at a few highlights and mistakes, but he can seriously play. Look at Cheney, an ex Demon who handled a stopgap job manfully in the middle of the year. Frawley is bigger, faster, an excellent mark and spoil who will deliver the ball the ball to the Hawks running backs. You should have had to pay more for him.

I like the idea of bottom 4 clubs not being able to lose a player to FA, it protects them from being poached and feeding the stronger clubs.
Yuck.

Imagine being stuck at a club that's falling apart, and being told you can't leave until you start winning games.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
No. Some of it is of the previous administration's doing and some of it is unfortunate circumstance. There have been plenty of mistakes made at Melbourne, but they are now getting punished on the field and in the court of popular opinion for decisions made years ago by people who have been discredited and gone. Is the Mitch Clark situation Melbourne's fault? Could they have done anything else to help the guy out? I am not saying it is all bad luck but Bruce and McDonald are a few years ago, Free Agency was brought in in 2012. It has cost Melbourne its only AA player for unders. That is not Melbourne's fault.
Plenty of clubs hv it just as bad, the Dogs were stung by expansion clubs, hv had bad luck with injuries important players and hv had a couple of senior guys leave.

Free agency is not meant to be an equalisation measure. It is a mechanism brought in to enable players to move to a club of choice after giving a certain level of service to a club, basically shifting the power from club to a player.

So after putting up with bad decisions at Melbourne, Frawley wants out to enjoy his footy...good luck to him.

Foxx1

Senior List
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He is actually a very good player. Whatever you are paying you are lucky to have him. He matches up really well on Hawkins and other behemoths and often he plays in games where teams get 70 inside 50s and the forward he is on is quiet. Don't underestimate him. Most people have not seen very much of him because he plays for Melbourne and they are not particularly watchable, but he is fast courageous and capable. I am filthy about the circumstances in which he left (changed FA rules) but this guy can play.

Fair call mate, perhaps I haven't seen enough of him but I have watched him play a bit. I should have been more specific, in my humble but biased opinion Hawthorn have a heap of walk up players at any club in the comp and I wouldn't quite put Chip in that group right now. Let's see how he goes with the heat of being truly hunted week to week and under the intensity of finals deep into September. I'd like to add, I like him, don't know him obviously :) but I can not f***ing wait to see him play with Gibson, Stratton and Birchall he's the perfect fit I think. Im pumped with it!

Bails2008

Team Captain
Feb 7, 2008
Balwyn
AFL Club
Melbourne
Simple solution. Clubs can trade players the other way. It is ridiculous players can nominate where they go. can leave when they want yet clubs can not trade players without explicit permission. Clubs should be able to trade players without permission. It would balance free agency

Foxx1

Senior List
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The evaluation is not true either. This guy is a very good footballer, who matches up well. He is unwatched by many, they just look at a few highlights and mistakes, but he can seriously play. Look at Cheney, an ex Demon who handled a stopgap job manfully in the middle of the year. Frawley is bigger, faster, an excellent mark and spoil who will deliver the ball the ball to the Hawks running backs. You should have had to pay more for him.

The evaluation that Bucks is not doing with well with the pies is a very very true evaluation

GHardeman

Team Captain
May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Plenty of clubs hv it just as bad, the Dogs were stung by expansion clubs, hv had bad luck with injuries important players and hv had a couple of senior guys leave.

Free agency is not meant to be an equalisation measure. It is a mechanism brought in to enable players to move to a club of choice after giving a certain level of service to a club, basically shifting the power from club to a player.

So after putting up with bad decisions at Melbourne, Frawley wants out to enjoy his footy...good luck to him.
It is clearly good luck to him. My point was it was bad luck for Melbourne. Frawley actually had not given the level of service that should make him an unrestricted free agent, but Melbourne could not make a counter offer because of a technicality. If they could have made an offer, the recruiting clubs would have to pay more, improving the MFC chance of compensation. You might not agree with it, but this bad luck for Melbourne.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
It is clearly good luck to him. My point was it was bad luck for Melbourne. Frawley actually had not given the level of service that should make him an unrestricted free agent, but Melbourne could not make a counter offer because of a technicality. If they could have made an offer, the recruiting clubs would have to pay more, improving the MFC chance of compensation. You might not agree with it, but this bad luck for Melbourne.
It ain't bad luck for Melbourne it is just good luck for Hawthorn.

If FA wasn't in play, Frawley could/ would still have left and Melbourne would have had to work out a trade or see him walk into the draft.

All FA does is enable a player to get to his club of choice, and enables the club they pick not have to give up anything to get them.

May 11, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yuck.

Imagine being stuck at a club that's falling apart, and being told you can't leave until you start winning games.
How arrogant are you?

If the club is falling apart you don't stick a knife in them and twist. You're already a better club are you not?

Although I'm of the theory that this is all just teething problems, when the big teams inevitably tumble down the ladder, the bottom teams finally get drafts that aren't compromised, GWS surge up the ladder. It will all equal itself out.

GHardeman

Team Captain
May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not sure what all the fuss is about. Has Frawley played a decent game in the past 4 years? Feel sad for him that he is going to a Club about to commence its slide, with its best players about to face mortality and very little quality below. But I guess anything is better than staying at Melbourne.

If FA wasn't in play, Frawley could/ would still have left and Melbourne would have had to work out a trade or see him walk into the draft.

All FA does is enable a player to get to his club of choice, and enables the club they pick not have to give up anything to get them.
You are missing one thing. The AFL offers compensation (I know people don't agree with it but at the moment it is offered). The more a team pays a FA the better the compensation. If Frawley is restricted, Melbourne can force up the price and either keep him or get better compensation. As an UFA Frawley can take unders and MFC are stuck with it. Only the higher teams will benefit from that because no-one will take unders to play for a bottom 10 team. So the system determines the club of their choice, ie the top 4-6 teams and that is not the design either.

GHardeman

Team Captain
May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne

Do you think he would have got to Hawthorn via the draft? Past Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong? It is good luck for Hawthorn. Exactly that. Luck, to be in the right place at the right time.

Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Inadvertently?
His disposal is s**t.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
You are missing one thing. The AFL offers compensation (I know people don't agree with it but at the moment it is offered). The more a team pays a FA the better the compensation. If Frawley is restricted, Melbourne can force up the price and either keep him or get better compensation. As an UFA Frawley can take unders and MFC are stuck with it. Only the higher teams will benefit from that because no-one will take unders to play for a bottom 10 team. So the system determines the club of their choice, ie the top 4-6 teams and that is not the design either.
That isn't how restricted free agency works, their is no bidding war.

If the player is restricted the original club has the option of matching the offer, and then the player either stays or can opt to enter the draft or leave via a trade.

Y the feck would a club ever match an offer and potentially see a player walk for nothing instead of getting compensation?

How arrogant are you?

If the club is falling apart you don't stick a knife in them and twist. You're already a better club are you not?

Although I'm of the theory that this is all just teething problems, when the big teams inevitably tumble down the ladder, the bottom teams finally get drafts that aren't compromised, GWS surge up the ladder. It will all equal itself out.
Wtf are you talking about?

Kids don't get a choice where they end up. Juss is saying that he thinks that maybe players in bottom teams shouldn't be able to use free agency and leave for greener pastures.

In what world should employees have no say in where they go to work?

Back