List Mgmt. Free Agency 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Think we are on the same wavelength HBF.

Yep.
Of all the players on our list Gibbs frustrates me more than anyone.
Reckon he's our modern version of Fevola. The gap between his best & worst is an absolute chasm.
I really think he'll be somewhere else next season.

Yep.
Reckon he's our modern version of Fevola. The gap between his best & worst is an absolute chasm.
I hope not, although youre right about his inconsistency, i wouldn't wan't to see a huge figure chucked at him to make him stay. Gibbs has been played in many different positions and roles while at Carlton, it makes me wonder if he might of developed better at another club. Maybe Gibbs isn't right for us and we wern't right for gibbs

Yep.
Disagree entirely but each to his own. He's been one of our most consistent players this year but clearly I'm one of the few who shares that opinion.

As for those bagging Gibbs because the club put Yarran's contract on hold, how is that Gibbs' fault? Not sure where the contract is at but the decision to put contracts on hold lies entirely with the club. Can understand why Yarran is angry but to take his frustration out on Bryce reeks of immaturity. It's common practice for clubs to do this when signing a player for big $ers.

And just to back up my last post, lest I be accused of bias. Gibbs' best and fairest results since 2008:
2008: 5th
2009: 3rd
2010: 4th
2011: 3rd
2012: 8th
2013: 5th

Still too early to tell thus far this year but for mine he'd currently be sitting top 3. Hardly the hallmarks of a player who's continually disappointed. He mightn't have (yet) reached the heights we wished but the way some carry on you'd think he was in the back half of the 22, let alone a consistent top 5 finisher in our B&F.

Coaches might have a different opinion than we as supporters, so let's have a look where he's finished in this board's POTY over the past 5 years:
2009: 3rd
2010: 4th
2011: 3rd
2012: 5th
2013: 7th

I might be a big fan of Gibbs but a large part of that is because he doesn't get the credit he deserves. Both us as supporters and the match committee have had him a top 5 player in 4 of the last 5 and 5 of the last 6 years respectively. He's just turned 25. He's not yet in his prime. History shows we are far less than even money to pick up a player of his caliber. We can dream but history shows that, even in the first round, the odds of picking a solid player are low.

Disagree entirely but each to his own. He's been one of our most consistent players this year but clearly I'm one of the few who shares that opinion.

As for those bagging Gibbs because the club put Yarran's contract on hold, how is that Gibbs' fault? Not sure where the contract is at but the decision to put contracts on hold lies entirely with the club. Can understand why Yarran is angry but to take his frustration out on Bryce reeks of immaturity. It's common practice for clubs to do this when signing a player for big $ers.

Pretty sure the players are pissed at Gibbs because of what his Manager came out and said at the start of the year. Gibbs hasn't said anything to deny this either... He clearly has no faith in the club so why should the club have faith in him kinda thing and put contracts of players who want to be there on hold. I'd be pissed too.

Pretty sure the players are pissed at Gibbs because of what his Manager came out and said at the start of the year. Gibbs hasn't said anything to deny this either... He clearly has no faith in the club so why should the club have faith in him kinda thing and put contracts of players who want to be there on hold. I'd be pissed too.
You can't really say that.

Why not? His Manager asked the question implying he doesn't... Gibbs hasn't said anything to the contrary
He actually has. Swann on SEN before the Essendon game (pretty sure it was the week) was interviewed by Robbo. Robbo asked about Gibbs asking to know our plans. Swann said Gibbs actually didn't ask that & his management did so without his permission. Not to mention the original story was written by a guy who has been banned from Visy due to his inability to write a factual article. Here's the link: listen from 12:40.

And if we are to believe MS3 that a Gibbs is staying - he obviously doesn't think we are a lost cause.

One thing you will never see from Gibbs is him being in our best couple of players when we aren't playing well. Take Friday night - how many players could put their hands up and say they played well. Maybe 2-3. He's great when we're winning and he can play as that linkman between the stoppages.

Possibly one the most talented players we have had on our list for the last 20 years, but he just doesn't work hard enough IMO. Shows glimpses here and there, but just doesn't do enough for someone who debuted all the way back in 2007.

One thing you will never see from Gibbs is him being in our best couple of players when we aren't playing well. Take Friday night - how many players could put their hands up and say they played well. Maybe 2-3. He's great when we're winning and he can play as that linkman between the stoppages.

Possibly one the most talented players we have had on our list for the last 20 years, but he just doesn't work hard enough IMO. Shows glimpses here and there, but just doesn't do enough for someone who debuted all the way back in 2007.
Totally agree. Gibbs can be absolutely fantastic when the whole team is the same, but when the chips are down he simply isn't there. If he wants to stay at Carlton and earn some respect amongst the supporters, he needs to run his guts out and put in 100% effort all game, every week, instead of riding on the highs and fading during the lows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really true. Was the only Carlton player playing well in the first half of the Richmond final. Whilst Judd was massive in the third, Gibbs was awesome for four quarters. Was BOG for us against Sydney in the rain last year when we lost. Bog against hawthorn when we lost. That's just off the top of my head.

Gibbsy don't lie. It won't be done tomorrow. It will be done on the weekend of round 13.

We are now in a new era of football player movement with the introduction of the Free Agency system. I don't like it at all but it is here and it's something we as a club, need to get smart with because it does go hand in hand with out old chequebook recruiting methods of the bygone era.

Having looked over who is available as Free Agents this season, based on the quality of the player, their age and the $$$ they would be expecting to be paid, I only see one genuine target for us :

Shaun Higgins (Footscray) - is a very good ball user but for some reason has gone off the boil over the past few seasons. Apparently he is looking for more time in the midfield and that is certainly something we can offer him if Carrazzo, McLean etc get shown the door. He'd cost us about $400,000 which may be a little excessive but seeing as he has just turned 26, it makes him an ideal target IMO as we would get around 4-5 years out of him when he should be in his prime. One thing we can dangle in front of him is the chance to play regular finals shortly, something the Bulldogs may not.

Another possible option :

Tyson Goldsack (Coll) - I really don't want us to keep taking from the Pies but I cannot help but be impressed with his attack on the contest and the fact that he can play both ends of the ground. The journos say he is on or asking around $325,000 a season from the Pies and $375,000-$400,000 would get it done. The "Malthouse" factor could be a defining issue as well.

I really don't like Frawley at $800K per annum, he's a decent player but not that good. I'd be expecting Tom Hawkins for that figure.

As for the rest of the Agents, they can stay where they are !!

Good to see all our fears from the beginning of this thread were unfounded. All FAs that matter are signed :)

I really don't like Frawley at $800K per annum, he's a decent player but not that good. I'd be expecting Tom Hawkins for that figure.

As for the rest of the Agents, they can stay where they are !!

I think the $800k figure has been disputed by Frawley on a number of occasions.

Wouldnt go near Higgins - injury prone, probably plays 1 in every 3 or 4 games on avg...would frutsrate the hell out of me like Waite does!
Goldasck I'd consider, but I think we already have someone similar in Everitt...if we weren't paying too much I'd be ok with it though.
Frawley - for that price he can get stuffed, unless he kicks 50+ goals or is the full back of the century he isnt worth it, i think we could get two good players for that price.
Mundy, i would be wrapped to see him in navy blue...again I'm a bit wary of his asking price(i dont know what it is) and with Gibbs staying it may make it a little difficult to get him (only due to $$ available). If Judds gone then yes...go for it. If Judd stays..hold out for another year to gain a midfielder of quality and experience. Hopefully Cripps (and maybe Graham) will be emerging by then but I expect those two to be filling McLeans and Carrazzos boots in time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back