List Mgmt. Free Agency and trade hypothetical thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who would you be willing to give up for him?
I'm not a Schoey hater - would love to see what he can do second year back from a knee reco, but if he could land us O'Rourke then we'd have to put him up.

rjslcM

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2008
Glen Waverly
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Australia, Roger Federer.
I'm not a Schoey hater - would love to see what he can do second year back from a knee reco, but if he could land us O'Rourke then we'd have to put him up.

In a straight swap hypothetical, he would probably fill a greater need at GWS than any of our other fringe player.

Would you be more inclined to do:

Schoey + Pick 18

OR

Lowden + Hallahan + Pick 18

MadDawg

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2006
Counting cups
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The greatest team of all!
Who would you be willing to give up for him?

It's hard to tell what GWS want.

O'Rourke's situation is very similar to Jared Polec's who was traded in a complicated 3 team deal involving GWS, Brisbane and Port which was :

The Giants traded pick No.21 to the Power and No.22 to the Lions, receiving No.14 from Port and No.29 and No.48 in return from the respective clubs.

To finalise the deal, Port Adelaide sent pick No.34 to the Lions in exchange for pick No.45.

Breaking this down to simply a Brisbane and Port trade, essentially the Lions traded Polec and pick 45 for picks 22 and 34.

So all it may take is:

Hawthorn receive: O'Rourke + pick 40

GWS receive: pick 18 + pick 37

rjslcM

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2008
Glen Waverly
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Australia, Roger Federer.
It's hard to tell what GWS want. O'Rourke's situation is very similar to Jared Polec's who was traded in a complicated 3 team deal involving GWS, Brisbane and Port which was :

Breaking this down to simply a Brisbane and Port trade, essentially the Lions traded Polec and pick 45 for picks 22 and 34. So all it may take is:

Hawthorn receive: O'Rourke + pick 40
GWS receive: pick 18 + pick 37

I see it closer to the Dom Tyson deal last year. Both top 3 selections and only a couple of years into the system. Polec had been around a little longer and nominated one specific team.

Melbourne received: Dom Tyson, Pick 9, Pick 53
GWS received: Pick 2, Pick 20, Pick 72

I couldn't care less what pick GWS wasted on o'rourke. Pick 18 is overs. Simple as that.

Have you seen him play? Why do you believe it is overs?
We gave up Pick 18 + Savage for McEvoy but obviously McEvoy came with experience and filled a need. Probably works for your argument.

Last edited:

Rushed_Behind

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2009
Buying Giraffes!!!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I see it closer to the Dom Tyson deal last year. Both top 3 selections and only a couple of years into the system. Polec had been around a little longer and nominated one specific team.

Have you seen him play? Why do you believe it is overs?
We gave up Pick 18 + Savage for McEvoy but obviously McEvoy came with experience and filled a need. Probably works for your argument.

You answered your question regarding McEvoy.

Saw him play late in the season, IMO he's very average. If you picked him up at pick 35+ you'd be like we've got something to work with. Pick 2 is a bust. I don't think he's that good of a kick to fit in to our plans.

Cale Morton
Jack watts
Nic Nat
Tambling
Fiora

The list goes on of early draft picks that don't work, and before people blame development dowler, thorp et al say hi.

What pick they went is irrelevant, what is important is where they stand now.

MadDawg

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2006
Counting cups
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The greatest team of all!

Yeah I see what you mean, but I think the fundamental difference is O'Rourk/Polec had told their respective teams they want to be traded back to their home state.

In the Dyson trade he had not quit the club and had actually extended his contract until after 2015 that season.

Who knows, hopefully it takes as little as possible ;)

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Shoey, hallahan, Woodward and Litherland to the Saints for pick 1.
Pick 1 to the Swans.
Josh Kennedy to Hawthorn.
AKFQ1.gif

Feb 13, 2010
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
Shoey, hallahan, Woodward and Litherland to the Saints for pick 1.
Pick 1 to the Swans.
Josh Kennedy to Hawthorn.
Due to list space and salary cap etc, adding more and more fringe/low players to the deal doesn't make it any closer to the value of pick 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

kenneje

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Hawthorn
IN Pick 11/12 (depending on FA)
OUT 18, Hallahan

West Coast
In Hallahan, Greenwood
Out Pick 11/12 (depending on FA)

North Melbourne
IN Pick 18
OUT Greenwood

?

Hawthorn
IN Pick 11/12 (depending on FA)
OUT 18, Hallahan

West Coast
In Hallahan, Greenwood
Out Pick 11/12 (depending on FA)

North Melbourne
IN Pick 18
OUT Greenwood

?
Lets do a simpler version
Hawks lose:
Pick 18/19 (whatever we end up with)
Mitch Hallahan

West Coast lose:
Pick 10/11 (whatever they end up with)

Hawks get:
Pick 10/11

West Coast get:
Pick 18/19
Mitch Hallahan

Why would the eagles do this trade? Simple they generally prefer to use their first draft pick on a local talent to reduce the go home factor risk. This year the top end WA talent is a little thin. Pickett who I think they are looking at picking up at pick 10/11 I think would still most likely be there at pick 18/19. If he isn't there another young WA gun like Connor Blakely will be there instead.

So the Eagles slide a few places in the first round, still get their man and get Hallahan.

Hawks then get a genuine crack at nabbing someone like Lachie Weller.

kenneje

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Lets do a simpler version
Hawks lose:
Pick 18/19 (whatever we end up with)
Mitch Hallahan

West Coast lose:
Pick 10/11 (whatever they end up with)

Hawks get:
Pick 10/11

West Coast get:
Pick 18/19
Mitch Hallahan

Why would the eagles do this trade? Simple they generally prefer to use their first draft pick on a local talent to reduce the go home factor risk. This year the top end WA talent is a little thin. Pickett who I think they are looking at picking up at pick 10/11 I think would still most likely be there at pick 18/19. If he isn't there another young WA gun like Connor Blakely will be there instead.

So the Eagles slide a few places in the first round, still get their man and get Hallahan.

Hawks then get a genuine crack at nabbing someone like Lachie Weller.

:):):):):):):):)

With Hawthorn not offering Sewell a new contract maybe he'd be a good fit for Gold Coast? Sewell and 18/19 for pick 14 from GC? I know Sewell is an unrestricted free agent, but if he can help us out one last time by again giving us a chance to grab Lachie Weller it would be a nice way to show Franklin how to treat a club.

hodgey29

Draftee
Oct 4, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To be fair Hawthorn should keep Hallahan, Anderson and Hartung. They're all great players and could be the future faces of the midfield. I'm quite impressed how good Hartung played in his few games. Langford played 1 game last year and almost became a Norm Smith medalist. Hallahan is a good young player, Hawthorn will be hurt if they get rid of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back