Mega Thread 2014 Free Agency and Trade discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's great. But don't forget Freo were also 'set' to get Mitch Clark too. Although it means that we're in for a big scalp this year, wether it's Cameron, or even dare I say it, Dangerfield. Get excited either way.

I don't care if it was just a channel 9 news report, I'm getting an erection from them saying we are front runners for Jeremy Cameron.

ERECTIONS FTW!

Don't you dare ruin this erection for me.

Question: Has Cameron's value dropped from what it would have been after his AA selection last year? Or will it drop from what it is now if he continues his current form until season's end?

He's out for the rest of the season.

Question: Has Cameron's value dropped from what it would have been after his AA selection last year? Or will it drop from what it is now if he continues his current form until season's end?

He has been pretty good the past 2 weeks, against Geelong only kicked 1 goal but had 15 touches and 10 marks and the week before against Freo had 17 touches, 7 marks and 2.4

While he isn't in the same form as last year I would think the fact his year is over and he is set for surgery shows that he has been playing with injury a lot of the year.

Maybe Roos told them to get him in for surgery so he is primed for a big pre season in the Red and Blue ;)

Hogan and Cameron in the F50! A dream surely! But how will we get the ball to them? We can't get over 40 inside 50's atm??? We need more mids!!! We'd have to give up too much to get him IMO. Would love him at our club, but how can we land him and still be able to get some decent mids into the side? We need at least another 2 quality midfielders. At least!

Hogan and Cameron in the F50! A dream surely! But how will we get the ball to them? We can't get over 40 inside 50's atm??? We need more mids!!! We'd have to give up too much to get him IMO. Would love him at our club, but how can we land him and still be able to get some decent mids into the side? We need at least another 2 quality midfielders. At least!

Stats don't tell you everything. We often allow opposition forward 50s yet concede fewer goals. We've won with far fewer inside 50s. The team rarely bombs it forward in hope as it causes easy turn overs. When going inside 50 its been off the back of a string of defensive play or a switch or extensive ball movement. I promise you though. If we had the likes of Cameron and Hogan leading for the ball we'd move it inside 50 a lot quicker.

That being said we should be looking at more classy mids.

Yep. You've got to be a bit of an idiot to not recognise what he brings to the table. A genuine contest and two defenders dragged away in a very accountable position. Not the thread for it, but people compare it to Grimes who plays off a half back flank. Shake my head, man.

If only Jordie McKenzie was half a foot taller.

Lucas Cook never tried. Now you're just rewriting history.

Who would you rather have on the list? Cook? Newton? A Fitzy and Gawn tandem?

I don't think Lucas Cook was the answer to our prayers, more associating him with your man Dawes because I don't think either of them are very good. From the huge sample size of one NAB Cup game I saw Cook in, he led up and provided a target. Dawes gets plenty of credit for doing the same. He's had more good press conferences than games for MFC.

I would trade picks 3 and 4/4 and 5 for him in a heartbeat.

Midfield stocks are still too low at the moment to trade like that, imo.

Probably better off getting a gun mid (Shiel / Treloar) and getting some low-hanging fruit like John Butcher.

Probably better off getting a gun mid (Shiel / Treloar) and getting some low-hanging fruit like John Butcher.

Completely agree, except for the part about Butcher. Landing Cameron would be salivating but mids are still our no.1 priority, which Roos has said on a couple of occasions this year

Surely if the opportunity to grab Cameron comes up we have to take it. I understand we need mids but this kid could be the best forward in the league in 3-4 years

Key forwards are the icing on the cake in football...unfortunately we do not have the cake right now.

You could put Ablett Snr and Dunstall in Melbourne's forward line and they still wouldn't make the finals. However, put Ablett Jnr and Pendlebury in and the team would be finals-bound in a hurry. Look at the premiers over the past 10-15 years, a top quality midfield with depth is constant among all of them. Occasionally a great forward, but many average roleplayer KPFs.

The way the game is played nowadays, a strong midfield opens up a forwardline and provides better opportunities for forwards via good delivery and space. A poor midfield results in poor forwardline delivery and a forwardline flooded by defenders...and in this case, good KPFs lose their potency significantly.

Last edited:
Key forwards are the icing on the cake in football...unfortunately we do not have the cake right now.

You could put Ablett Snr and Dunstall in Melbourne's forward line and they still wouldn't make the finals. However, put Ablett Jnr and Pendlebury in and the team would be finals-bound in a hurry.

I wouldn't say icing. You can't do any kind of September damage without them. I'd say they're more like the sugar in the cake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't say icing. You can't do any kind of September damage without them. I'd say they're more like the sugar in the cake.

No, they're more like the self-raising flour and eggs in the cake. Or the candles on top. Because you can have a cake without candles, but you can't have candles without a cake or power outage, and you might burn your fingers if you're clumsy.

There are many premiers with role-player KPFs:
- Geelong won in 2007 with Nathan Ablett and Cam Mooney. In 2009, Mooney and a young Hawkins who only averaged 1.4 goals/game (he was a role-player then).
- 2010 Pies - in the replay, Trav Cloke didn't even kick a goal!
- 2011 Swans - Sam Reid. An ageing Adam Goodes pulled off a blinder.

All the winners had elite midfields though...

Surely if the opportunity to grab Cameron comes up we have to take it. I understand we need mids but this kid could be the best forward in the league in 3-4 years
This. The midfield is obviously number one priority as we really need to have at least 7 or 8 guys who can play through the midfield well. However I would be a little peeved if we didn't have a decent crack at Cameron. While having a gun KPF isn't necessarily the key to winning a GF it helps a lot on the road there and as we've seen with Dawes having a workhorse/role-player KPF as our number one target is always going to place us at a disadvantage. We get so few forward entries that we really have to have someone who can make use of them.

This. The midfield is obviously number one priority as we really need to have at least 7 or 8 guys who can play through the midfield well. However I would be a little peeved if we didn't have a decent crack at Cameron. While having a gun KPF isn't necessarily the key to winning a GF it helps a lot on the road there and as we've seen with Dawes having a workhorse/role-player KPF as our number one target is always going to place us at a disadvantage. We get so few forward entries that we really have to have someone who can make use of them.

I'd like us to have a crack at him, but what are we realistically willing to give up? Depends where we finish as to what pick we get (anywhere from 1st to 4th at the moment), what Frawley does and what compo we might get for him should he leave and if we're willing to let any decent players go. If we have two top 3 picks to give up, that might get it done if Cameron forces the issue. If we've got one top 5 pick, we'd have to package it off with a player or two they'd be interested in. GWS wouldn't touch our forwards or rucks, would probably be interested in Jones or Viney and might consider McDonald (presuming Frawley goes). I wouldn't want to lose Jones or Viney and palming off McDonald if we lose Frawley is going to leave us very thin down back.

I know, but we just have to take our chance if it comes. Having a genuine forward line would help with maximising our entries anyway, not to mention Tyson/Viney/Toumpas being a year older.

Cameron will just go stevie jay style and run through the middle anyway

Tough call.

We are desperate for a midfield, but you dont get many chances to secure a Jeremy Cameron.

I would probably go with Cameron, with the understanding that having Hogan and Cameron in a forward line probably makes it easier to attract a few good midfielders in the coming years.

If we got Cameron and Malceski and the natural improvement off Salam, Toumpas, Kent (forward maybe mid with another pre season), JKH maybe a little more in mid would allow them to kick to a marking forward line (well at least two - Dawes can't mark above his head).

It may cost us a higher pick as we mostly likely need to use our first and the pick we get for Frawley - depending on our negotiation skills we may be able to get a second rounder back - which will allow us to get another mid - let our recruiting department earn their money.

Anyway a lot off water to go under the bridge.

I'd like us to have a crack at him, but what are we realistically willing to give up? Depends where we finish as to what pick we get (anywhere from 1st to 4th at the moment), what Frawley does and what compo we might get for him should he leave and if we're willing to let any decent players go. If we have two top 3 picks to give up, that might get it done if Cameron forces the issue. If we've got one top 5 pick, we'd have to package it off with a player or two they'd be interested in. GWS wouldn't touch our forwards or rucks, would probably be interested in Jones or Viney and might consider McDonald (presuming Frawley goes). I wouldn't want to lose Jones or Viney and palming off McDonald if we lose Frawley is going to leave us very thin down back.

This. Our best chance is probably our first pick and the compo pick for Frawley (Assuming it is high enough). There is no way in hell I'd trade Viney or Jones (The club would never even consider that) but McDonald I'd consider. I'd prefer to trade the picks though.

If we got Cameron and Malceski and the natural improvement off Salam, Toumpas, Kent (forward maybe mid with another pre season), JKH maybe a little more in mid would allow them to kick to a marking forward line (well at least two - Dawes can't mark above his head).

It may cost us a higher pick as we mostly likely need to use our first and the pick we get for Frawley - depending on our negotiation skills we may be able to get a second rounder back - which will allow us to get another mid - let our recruiting department earn their money.

Dont forget - if we take Malceski as a free agent, we will significantly dilute any Frawley compensation, and may not be left with enough to get Cameron.

I would hope we wouldnt have to give up our first 2 picks for Cameron - but lets be honest if he was available, St Kilda and Brisbane will offer there first pick - and the Bulldogs probably even more.

Dont forget - if we take Malceski as a free agent, we will significantly dilute any Frawley compensation, and may not be left with enough to get Cameron.

I would hope we wouldnt have to give up our first 2 picks for Cameron - but lets be honest if he was available, St Kilda and Brisbane will offer there first pick - and the Bulldogs probably even more.
If Chip were to leave and we were to get Malceski, we'd trade a pick for him, no way would we dilute a top 5 pick for a third rounder, for a 29 y/o. I'm all for getting Malceski, I reckon he would improve us as he's a great kick from the backline, but definitely not as FA. We'll do what Port did to get Monfries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back