Mega Thread 2014 Free Agency and Trade discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jamar has definitely one, possibly two years.

Howe is a much better forward, but even so when you have guys like Dunn, Howe and Garlo all who can go forward if need be, it's even less of a necessity to keep Fitzy.

and Hogan may not have played any games, but fitzy has a grand total of about 15 and is 4 years older. AND Hogan killed him at Casey last year.

Jamar isn't definite at all, A serious injury and he is retired
Jamar 17 games for 7 Goals, Fitzy 5 games for 4 Goals or 4 in his last 2

Howe Dunn and Garlo are needed down back especially with Frawley leaving, If they go forward who goes back ? Probably Hogan

It doesnt matter what Hogan did at Casey, he may well be a star, but he still hasn't done it yet

Also Fitzy is a better forward than Dawes, If he had been given the same chance as Dawes this year he would have kicked more than Dawes has

Thanks. If his time is probably done at Melbourne I would not be at all against the Swans making a play for him.

Would probably replace Malceski for you guys, Play 22 games and everyone will be talking about how is kicking is such a weapon

Just depends on how many they want to take i guess.

But off the top of my head - Dawes, Hogan, Gawn, Jamar, Pederson and Howe are all ahead of him in that department.

I'd actually take Fitzy ahead of Dawes as a key forward, Dawes for all his effort and tackling he can't clunk a mark for s**t.

I'm aware Fitzy wasn't clunking them last night but generally he's pretty good with his marking.

Pedo is a lot better as a roaming utility type so I wouldn't limit him to forward and Howe has pretty much been reinvented as a defender.

Jamar is near the end and Gawn's future is as a number one ruckman but he just needs to keep building that fitness and not crippling his knees.

Fitzy hit some form in the VFL late, his last 5 games he kicked 11 goals, averaging 14.6 disposals, averaging 8 marks (2.6 contested) and averaging 28.8 hit outs.
He earned his recall to the side where he had a 13 disposal game against West Coast, 7 marks and 2 goals and against North he played well again kicking another 2 goals playing a bit more in the ruck.

As a back up forward who can ruck I'm pretty happy to keep him

May I ask what happened to Tapscott as I remember when he was in the U18 championships and I was a massive fan of getting him to the Swans as I thought he looked like he would be a gun player especially with that kick of his which is so helpful in breaking the lines?
He tripped on a sprinkler, the ultimate career killer.

He worked his way into the team this year and only lost his spot due to another injury, I think Roos does like him so I wouldn't be surprised to see him get re-signed or rookie listed if we get the chance.

God news on Max's knee. From memory, when he did it for the second time a couple of years ago, they initially thought he'd avoided ACL damage too, so hopefully it's all good this time.

Spitting furious if we delist Fitzy.

Also, would love to get Bellchambers across, but he's one of their only two rucks and Essendon are notoriously hard to trade with. Giles could be realistic.

Spitting furious if we delist Fitzy.

Also, would love to get Bellchambers across, but he's one of their only two rucks and Essendon are notoriously hard to trade with. Giles could be realistic.
He won't be de-listed as he's contracted next year. Just hope we don't trade him.

Trade Watts and pick 23 to Port for pick 15 and Tom Clurey

Clurey is a 20 year 193cm rebounding key defender, works off his opponent offensively a bit similar to Frawley. He has good foot skills which is what we lack down back. Impressed over the nab cup including playing on Nick riewoldt earlier this year and was given a round 1 debut this year but hasn't got a game since. Out of contract and would be a good to get another young key defender with a couple of pre seasons under his belt.

Mate - you realize that he's played one game and (according to you) is out of contract? Absolutely no need to give up Watts or pick 23 - we can get him for basically nothing.

Please dont anyone suggest trading Blease or Tappy

They will either be re-contracted or delisted

No one is paying for them

Rumours are that Geelong are quite keen on Blease for cheap and Tappy would probably be given a cheap spot on an SA club's rookie list at worst I'd think.

God news on Max's knee. From memory, when he did it for the second time a couple of years ago, they initially thought he'd avoided ACL damage too, so hopefully it's all good this time.

I believe that was before scans though, as they did the 'ACL-test' ... to give you examples of how reliable that test is.....

My cousin did his ACL playing for Port Melbourne, they did the test and sent him back out there thinking he was fine - two days later, ACL confirmed by scans.

I hurt my leg right under the knee, one doctor told me I didn't do my ACL - one doctor told me I did (both did 'the test').. then I went in for scans and a fracture it was!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rumours are that Geelong are quite keen on Blease for cheap and Tappy would probably be given a cheap spot on an SA club's rookie list at worst I'd think.

Tremendous laughs at our expense if Blease goes to Kardinia Park and plays in a successful team.

You would think anyone who needs pace in the midfield would look at him
If he had a set job like get the footy, run at kick long to a target he could go ok
Its the other stuff he struggles with

I believe that was before scans though, as they did the 'ACL-test' ... to give you examples of how reliable that test is.....

My cousin did his ACL playing for Port Melbourne, they did the test and sent him back out there thinking he was fine - two days later, ACL confirmed by scans.

I hurt my leg right under the knee, one doctor told me I didn't do my ACL - one doctor told me I did (both did 'the test').. then I went in for scans and a fracture it was!
Ah fair enough. I know all about the anterior draw test, being a physio :p

Edit: scans in 2011 did show only medial meniscus damage, and ACL when they went in...
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...on-due-to-injury/story-e6frf3e3-1226224724290

Last edited:
Mate - you realize that he's played one game and (according to you) is out of contract? Absolutely no need to give up Watts or pick 23 - we can get him for basically nothing.
Apparently Clurey is contracted for another year (from Port board), would still like to get him though (not for Watts obviously).

Tremendous laughs at our expense if Blease goes to Kardinia Park and plays in a successful team.

There would be. But you'd have to think a more likely outcome would be the 'Gysberts/Morton Scenario':
  1. Go to a more successful club.
  2. Realise how far off the pace you are re. your training intensity because you've been Melbourne-ised.
  3. Fade into obscurity.
  4. Ultimately delist.

Ah fair enough. I know all about the anterior draw test, being a physio :p

Which is the ligament in your knee that stabilizes and whatnot when you go to push up off the ground, jump, climb stairs etc?

Which is the ligament in your knee that stabilizes and whatnot when you go to push up off the ground, jump, climb stairs etc?
Climbing stairs, mainly ACL, descending stairs PCL mainly. Of course the muscles surrounding contribute in dynamic activities like those too.

It's quite common for people who have had ACL injuries, to also have some meniscal damage.

Sometimes it can be dealt with by a simple arthroscope, but it sounds as though Gawn may need some repair work done.

He'll be back to full training before Christmas.

Wont be getting him for nothing, pick 29 two years ago and highly rated at Port and he's had a really good improved year in the SANFL, I thought he would be on a 2 year deal after his draft year and some Port people on their board were panicking that he hasn't singed on for next year but some are suggesting he signed a 3 year deal so he may be contracted. fills the hole that Frawley is leaving

I also like Brayden Maynard in this draft and don't think he'll last to our second round pick so looking for ideas to upgrade, but yeah Watts and pick 23 may be a bit much but but Port won't be letting him go for unders.

Wont be getting him for nothing, pick 29 two years ago and highly rated at Port and he's had a really good improved year in the SANFL, I thought he would be on a 2 year deal after his draft year and some Port people on their board were panicking that he hasn't singed on for next year but some are suggesting he signed a 3 year deal so he may be contracted. fills the hole that Frawley is leaving

I also like Brayden Maynard in this draft and don't think he'll last to our second round pick so looking for ideas to upgrade, but yeah Watts and pick 23 may be a bit much but but Port won't be letting him go for unders.

Now he's contracted, yeah we'll need to offer more - but a 1 gamer 2nd round pick doesn't equal much value when they're out of contract!

As tempting as a trade for Hunt is, I'd rather keep him on the 0.000001% chance that he does become a star.
THE TRADE AND DELIST LIST>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
TRADE- Grimes,Toumpas, Watts if we can
DELIST- Barry,Blease,Byrnes,Clisby,Evans, Michie, Nicholson,Strauss,Tapscott, maybe Dean Kent

Thoughts...............

THE TRADE AND DELIST LIST>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
TRADE- Grimes,Toumpas, Watts if we can
DELIST- Barry,Blease,Byrnes,Clisby,Evans, Michie, Nicholson,Strauss,Tapscott, maybe Dean Kent

Thoughts...............

Your insane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back