Free Agency Stay or Go?

Should Free Agency stay or go?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It was designed as a way to help out the guys struggling to get a game an easier avenue to leave, now it's become a cash cow for the top end players

You got it in one, how on earth is a struggling player suppose to meet the minimum requirements to become an unrestricted free agent

It absolutely has to go. Should never have been introduced in the first place. It's panned out exactly as I expected it would, and I think it's going to get a lot worse yet. Stuff the compo picks - they are just as big a farce in their own way. The problem with FA (apart from the fact it obviously exacerbates what are massive disparities in the competition) is what it does to the culture of the game. It stops the game being about the club and starts the game being about me, me, me. It hasn't had a chance to change AFL's culture yet, but eventually it will. And I don't want our game becoming filled with second-rate spoilt brats like the NRL.

If the players feel they've earnt their right to choose where they play, then they can play in the $%#ing VFL. You've got all the choice in the world there, boys. AFL is a form of ENTERTAINMENT. It should be about THE FANS, not the players. And free agency completely screws the fans over.

I wish the league would take a hard line on this. I would LOVE to see the players try and strike over FA. They'd lose the PR war in seconds. Greedy pr!cks.

By the way - if they want a system to allow struggling players to find greater opportunity then here's an easy solution: players are eligible for restricted free agency after 6-8 years - but only if they have a contract worth less than $300,000. Simple.

.....Geelong's been attacked pretty hard – not just at a player level, but with its coaches, with its administrators, with a chef at one point.
Geez in 2008 we lost Kenny to Gold Coast and now somebody is after Chef!

It was designed as a way to help out the guys struggling to get a game an easier avenue to leave, now it's become a cash cow for the top end players.

never was designed for the average player. if it was, it was done poorly.

the average AFL career is around 4-5 years. FA doesn't kick until year 8 doesn't it?

The FA system in the AFL is poor because qualification criteria is too restrictive. A decent player will have only one shot at it whether it be a big payday or a premiership.

FA should aid on-field equalisation, but because of the strict criteria and the TPP floor at 92.5% (so s**t clubs are paying s**t players overs as it is), it won't have the spread-established-talent effect it should have.

I don't like it because the club receiving pays nothing other than cash which can distort the equalisation policy, this is consistent with my views on father-son, academies, etc.

But, while it is around I hope my club makes the most out of it.

Stay. Gives us a chance to get some of our SA talent back after its all been siphoned off in the draft, which helps balance out the go home factor. Also gives clubs that don't bottom feed for draft picks the chance to assemble some talent without trading the house away.

Australian's in general need to get rid of the idea that players belong to teams...

"But we finished last! That guy who is the best talent in the entire country should feel obligated to play for our shitty team for his entire career!"

I'm not sure the examples of the lower teams losing players is all that valid so far. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most have been restricted FA's and instead of exercising their right to match the offers the clubs have chosen to take the compo picks and run in the name of 'rebuilding'.

It's a bit rich to make decisions like that then turn around and complain that you've lost all your senior leaders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? What's wrong with it? Does it get in the way of creating a boring, stratified competition?
I would have thought the opportunity to lure FA talent through more than just name recognition of the club you play for would be a good thing if handled properly.
it's a nice notion if players progress through the juniors into the seniors at a club.

not so much when a club simply selects a player at a draft.
What mcgarnacle said.

If there wouldn't be such outrage from all and sundry, I'm sure the AFL would be able to create a much more amiable FA system that benefited both the team and the player, as well as the fans.

But no, how bad you are one year defines your rights to keep a player in your grasp for his playing life.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the examples of the lower teams losing players is all that valid so far. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most have been restricted FA's and instead of exercising their right to match the offers the clubs have chosen to take the compo picks and run in the name of 'rebuilding'.

It's a bit rich to make decisions like that then turn around and complain that you've lost all your senior leaders.

None of Melbourne's have been RFAs.

For what it's worth, I have the same problem with the Father Son Rule.

A name being tied to a club is cutesy and all, but really the value of a name extends beyond the boundaries of a club to having an impact on the game, not saving that name for one club.

You don't 'deserve' to play for Hawthorn because your dad did... The fans don't 'deserve' to have the rights on that player because they cheers on his pa 20 years ago.

From a visceral POV, I love the Father Son Rule. For all the people that complain about the equitable nature of the league though to then turn around and claim the rights based on the above are pretty laughable.

None of Melbourne's have been RFAs.

Fair enough, I was mainly thinking of the Saints when I wrote that. They could have kept both Goddard and Dal Santo if they wanted to, but they preferred to take the draft picks.

I don't like it because the club receiving pays nothing other than cash which can distort the equalisation policy, this is consistent with my views on father-son, academies, etc.

But, while it is around I hope my club makes the most out of it.

This is my problem with it too..

I would prefer it if the receiving club was forced to give up an equivalent draft pick to secure the player.

a problem is that the players association will fight to the death to keep it and use the argument that quite a few players have join clubs around their old club on the ladder at the time of joining their new club.

Eddie Betts to Adelaide- Adelaide 11th and Carlton 9th (taking out Essendon ban from the finals)
Lance Franklin to Sydney- Hawthorn 1st and Sydney 4th
Dale Thomas to Carlton- Magpies 8th and Carlton 9th
Angus Monfries to Port- Essendon 11th and Port 15th
Matthew White to Port- Port Adel 6th and Richmond 7th
Brendan Goddard to Essendon- Essendon 11th and St Kilda 9th

Once a player has been in the system long enough he deserves to choose the club he wants to go to. But the system has to be made fairer and clubs need more power before free agency as well to make it more relevant.

Yeah good idea. GC and Sydney (x2) have used it to poach absolute stars, let's now get rid of it so nobody else can utilise it.

Bloody Scott could moan for Australia.

This is half the reason why the compo picks should go. Clubs should be trying to retain their players. If a club wants to rebuild through extra draft picks then they need to trade players while they are in contract, the club giving up the draft pick then loses a young player for the future, this hopefully evening out the competition over the years.

Also when clubs have had success like hawthorn then lose a player like Franklin they shouldn't get a compo pick, the extra pick helps them rebuild when they are already a top team, they are getting and advantage over lower teams in rebuilding.

Free agency should stay but the compo picks must go

Needs to stay now. Just probably needs to be tweaked, with certain other 'measures' removed or altered.

You cannot have all of the current equalisation methods in place at the same time.

Back