List Mgmt. Free agency/trade/draft discussion (READ OP FIRST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found this on the Fremantle board

Interesting that over on The Roar in a pretty vile "Freo's window is closed" thread, one of the posters who I don't think makes stuff up much said:

Olivia Watts said | September 16th 2014 @ 9:15am | Report comment
Thank you Don. I *do* like a lively football discussion and appreciate it when my occasional leaps of sheer bias are gently corrected in order to keep the discussion on track.
One for your thoughts, if I may. I have connections at Sydney and, yes – here it comes, occasionally “hear” things from inside team walls. I heard an interesting one last night.
Apparently Tom Mitchell wishes to leave Sydney to increase his chances of a game each week and has expressed an interest in going to Fremantle as his dad coached there and he spent his teenage years there.
The snag is, Sydney is angling for a direct trade of Mitchell for Anthony McGovern at West Coast. McGovern’s dad played with Sydney and the player himself is supposedly keen, but Mitchell doesn’t like the Eagles. Sydney is, therefore, looking at a possible three way trade; Mitchell to Freo, (. ) to West Coast and McGovern to Sydney.
The issue is twofold; would you want Mitchell if it meant parting with some talent and, if so, whose name/s would you use to fill in the blanks?
Looking forward to your thoughts.

I just wonder why we'd take Mitchell over Jeremy McGovern - doesn't seem as much a need to me

I'm not going to put any real belief in this rumour, as ever. However, I would take Jeremy McGovern for Tom Mitchell happily.
Really? Would think Mitchell is worth a lot more. McGovern is good but he's playing as the third or fourth or even fifth tall at WC. There's every chance Mitchell could be one of the best mids in the comp some day.

Excuse the intrusion :p

Really? Would think Mitchell is worth a lot more. McGovern is good but he's playing as the third or fourth or even fifth tall at WC. There's every chance Mitchell could be one of the best mids in the comp some day.

Excuse the intrusion :p

I like McGovern a lot as a tall key position player. He could be plugged into our defence as soon as he arrives.

Tom Mitchell will undoubtedly be a good player but I don't feel losing him will dent our club that much over the next decade given our current inside midfield stocks (Josh Kennedy, Craig Bird, Luke Parker, Kieren Jack, Dan Hannebery)and potential recruits over the next few years (Isaac Heeney, Callum Mills, Josh Dunkley). Those first five are all young or moderately aged and while Mitchell is good enough to make our 22, I don't see the problem in trading him on the condition that we get something we need in return. The something that we need in return is a young tall defender who can take over from Ted Richards in the next few years. It's a glaring hole on our list, KPD. So I don't have a big problem with trading a stock that we have in abundance for something that we do not.

With all of that said, I don't believe the rumour and I think Tom Mitchell will be at Sydney next year.

Given that there are people on this board with sources close to Mitchell who have said repeatedly that he's not going anywhere, I'm not convinced on this one for two reasons:

1) I know he has a connection to WA, but why would Mitchell leave the club while his dad is still at Sydney?
2) Our depth in inside midfielders aside, if you've watched our games this year I believe we do still need someone with Mitchell's ability at the clearances, as it's an area where our midfield has been vulnerable.

Last edited:
McGovern ended the season playing in defence so he isn't just a tall forward.

Also, WCE re-signed him for 2 years only 3 months ago so this rumour can probably be put to bed officialy.

I feel like you're my evil twin.

McGovern ended the season playing in defence so he isn't just a tall forward.

Also, WCE re-signed him for 2 years only 3 months ago so this rumour can probably be put to bed officialy.

The Swans also have Mitchell signed until 2016. If a trade suited both parties it would happen. It would be a good strategic play for the Swans.

I would like the Swans to have a look at Wellingham. His career has gone backwards, but he was a fine Collingwood Premiership player. The Swans may be able to rehabilitate his career. He is also good mates with Buddy and this would help him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep hearing from different sources Ryder to Swans..how?
You'd think Goodes Retires, ROK gone and Malceski gone then backend Ryders contract for that to happen.
Can't see it happening considering we have so many players whos contract end in 2016. We'd wanna save the money to reward the likes of Parker etc if they keep improving.

The Swans also have Mitchell signed until 2016. If a trade suited both parties it would happen. It would be a good strategic play for the Swans.

I would like the Swans to have a look at Wellingham. His career has gone backwards, but he was a fine Collingwood Premiership player. The Swans may be able to rehabilitate his career. He is also good mates with Buddy and this would help him.
Wellingham? What for? Who would he possibly displace in our best 22?

Don't want, don't need.

Care to elaborate on what sources?

Can't see it happening and if it does we are probably going to have to lose an senior player besides Goodes, ROK and Malceski.
LRT would've been on a bit. Shaw might go as well and of course there's long running sagas with Reid and Mitchell.

Derickx would be on minimum wage? i dont really care about the financial cost worried about what we will have to give up which will be significant.

He might have been this year but if he was given a 2 year deal a few months ago, surely he was given somewhat of a raise. Not a huge one I expect, but he surely wouldn't be on the league minimum now.

Derickx would be on minimum wage? i dont really care about the financial cost worried about what we will have to give up which will be significant.

Let alone what the main board will say :p

Sydney has form for arranging trades with a run silent run deep policy. I love the fact that we get things done without running around going 'look at me, look at me' like some clubs tend to do.

That said unfortunately this means no news at all equates to 'Sydney are up to something' to some flogs in the media. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Ryder would be a sensation at Sydney FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back