List Mgmt. Free agency/trade/draft discussion (READ OP FIRST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People also have to remember that money saved from retirements already known about and any that are to come this year have been used on the re-signings that have taken place already. Its not as simple this year as saying x, y, z retire and we can bring in Player A.

Also to take into account the 2016 player group that comes out of contract which is the same year Buddy sees the first raise in his 9 year contract (it goes up every 3rd year) and is the last year COLA applies in ANY form

If the rumours are true about Ryder and we have actually signed Pyke for 2 more years it would make me question Tippetts place at the swans. I dont think we would head back towards having 2 rucks in the team at the same time unless 1 plays Tippetts role.

Ryder will cost Sydney big time. I do feel Sydney have the currency and that is with Sam Reid/Mitchell but will Sydney do it...who knows!
If he uses the clause to reneg the contract.....he is a free agent. When you dabble in the types of thing the Bombers did, there are lots of repercussions, and here is another one. How can they challenge a claim of "failed in their duty of care" when they do not know what they injected into their own players?? I am surprised more don't want to leave.

If he uses the clause to reneg the contract.....he is a free agent. When you dabble in the types of thing the Bombers did, there are lots of repercussions, and here is another one. How can they challenge a claim of "failed in their duty of care" when they do not know what they injected into their own players?? I am surprised more don't want to leave.

I doubt it will come to that and the Swans more than any club are very fair. Ryder has pretty much said he won't go unless Essendon are compensated. I don't mind either way, if he goes to Sydney I'm happy anyway. I want him to win a flag.

It only takes one for the dam wall to break which is why the druggies will fight this tooth and nail

I doubt it will come to that and the Swans more than any club are very fair. Ryder has pretty much said he won't go unless Essendon are compensated. I don't mind either way, if he goes to Sydney I'm happy anyway. I want him to win a flag.

If he leaves because of the clause no club in their right mind will offer Essendon market value for Ryder. Hell even Brisbane are suggesting of "trading" their 2nd Round Draft Pick for Ryder if the clause is invoked so Essendon get some sort of compensation but a player or 1st Round Pick is not going to happen even clubs know they don't have to.

The only way I can see Ryder coming to us would be if there is some sort of mutual prearranged agreement between a player & the club for them to move back 'home'!

The first player that comes to mind for me, other than Malceski, would be Jetta. I can see Jetta going home to WA at some point so why wouldn't the Swans act early on him while he is contracted. We have done this before with Jolly. Not popular with the fans but it is a very proactive way of refreshing & improving the list.

If on the day it all came out he said I cannot play for the club it would have been pretty cut and dry. Even at the end of last year if he said the ongoing pressure etc. was too much then maybe but the incidents were more than 2 years ago and he seems to have been OK. I think continuing the contract for a couple of years would put at doubt the impact of any breach. Possible he has had ongoing discussions and it is an issue in which case he would get out but doubt it is simple. Think if we want him it will cost both $ and good player/s.

My concern would be if we throw big money at too many players the chance of keeping the group we have together is much harder. You can argue that Tippett and Buddy are exceptional circumstances that the club needed so they all win flags but I'm not sure how long you'd keep Kennedy, Parker, Hannabury, etc. happy on a couple of hundred less that Ryder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the rumours are true about Ryder and we have actually signed Pyke for 2 more years it would make me question Tippetts place at the swans. I dont think we would head back towards having 2 rucks in the team at the same time unless 1 plays Tippetts role.

Disagree. Ryder is a very good Ruckman that can play forward, Tippo is a stay at home forward that can second Ruck.

People also have to remember that money saved from retirements already known about and any that are to come this year have been used on the re-signings that have taken place already. Its not as simple this year as saying x, y, z retire and we can bring in Player A.

Also to take into account the 2016 player group that comes out of contract which is the same year Buddy sees the first raise in his 9 year contract (it goes up every 3rd year) and is the last year COLA applies in ANY form

Its hard to remember, the way the main board read i just presume we go out and add gun willy nilly and forget x y and z

Off-topic slightly, I just found this amusing and I don't know why :D

547872_10151670917906324_1124093395_n.jpg

Ryder would be a good get. With RO'K and LRT gone at seasons end that would free up some cash. I'm sure we could work Ryder's contract around the money those 2 free up along with potential retirements in Goodes and R.Shaw. All 4 of those would be on ok coin, it won't stop the COLA circlejerk though even if you add Malceski departure in there if that happens too. Hope we have something earmarked as a KPD. A.Johnson is goign to struggle to get back, Richards is 33 and Grundy is, well, Grundy. Think we should be looking over Frawley.

Could it be an option for the Swans to sign no new players through free agency and the trade period and front end some contracts.

For instance if Malceski and Mitchell left the club, could we use the money saved from their salaries and pay Buddy more money in the second year of his contract than originally planned? This would little by little lower the clubs liability in future seasons.

Do clubs have the power to compel players to accept more salary in one year of their contracts while accepting less money in another year.

Could it be an option for the Swans to sign no new players through free agency and the trade period and front end some contracts.

For instance if Malceski and Mitchell left the club, could we use the money saved from their salaries and pay Buddy more money in the second year of his contract than originally planned? This would little by little lower the clubs liability in future seasons.

Do clubs have the power to compel players to accept more salary in one year of their contracts while accepting less money in another year.

Preseason I expected us to consolidate. With the Academy prospects and current list, we have the opportunity to improve again on the cheap. But the lesson of ROK's demise is that your senior players need to be treated very carefully as that cliff can drop off very quickly.

I have no doubt the Swans will assess the rucks in their season review. Pyke has been wonderful. And Drex offered manful support. But we're sitting on a loss in the ledger. And something needs to occur in that space. Ryder in that respect makes even more sense than Buddy ever did to our structure. Whether that means we would chase him is another matter. But he is a perfect fit FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back